Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
That sounds like a good repairman. You should use him for all your appliances.

But I would buy a new one, if it acts up again. If that repairman is part of an appliance store, I'd get any new appliances there.

For $100 I think you did well.
Yes, this was our feeling. Also, I agree with others who implied I should not keep throwing money after it, so next time it goes we will probably replace it.

Unfortunately this little guy works on his own so not affiliated with any appliance store - really knew his business though and got right on with it. Boom, boom, boom, tearing the thing apart right left and center, got his steam thing going melting the ice, got me busy mopping up the kitchen where all the water went, had the control panel apart, etc.etc., a mile a minute, talking all the time. We had to laugh when it was all over and we drew breath. As you say, I'll remember his number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We bought a condo with an Amana #ABL1922FES bottom drawer freezer fridge in it.

A thermometer placed in the fridge section shows 55 degrees F on the highest setting - it runs all the time. In addition, the freezer drawer is so sticky I can pull the fridge out from the wall trying to get it open. Does this sound like an ordinary repair - the fridge looks new inside, just doesn't cool.

Any ideas, thanks!
Assuming this is a "frost free" model, this may be a sign that the evaporator is frosted up, and the defrost heater is not working.

You can confirm by unplugging it or turning it off, obviously take all the food out of it, leave doors open, the ice will melt over a roughly 48 hour period.

Another check (if you are handy and have some tools) is to cycle the defrost timer manually to "defrost", then check the amp draw. The correct amp draw will be on a sticker behind the fridge.

Any decent repair shop can replace that defrost heater. Or you can DIY, You Tube is your friend, as is the local used appliance and parts guy.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Amana appliances are the bottom of the barrel appliances made by Whirlpool. They are considered a loss leader. I'd throw it away and get a decent fridge. It's going to be nothing but a money pit.
I grew up in a home with Amana appliances... my Grandmother had a friend in the appliance business.

The Amana Freezer has made 3 moves and was bought new in 1967 and has been flawless...

Mom's Amana Refrigerator is 1980 and I did have to replace the defrost timer... $20 in parts.

My 93 year neighbors still use their 1960's Amana Radar Range... that thing is built like a tank...

None of the above speaks of bottom of the Barrel.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Amana appliances are the bottom of the barrel appliances made by Whirlpool. They are considered a loss leader. I'd throw it away and get a decent fridge. It's going to be nothing but a money pit.
Mine lasted 23 years before it had to be discarded. If it weren't for the outdated refrigerant and the part that was needed to be replaced, The Amana would still be around today. It would've been it's first repair.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:08 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
The trouble with appliance brands is that the one you bought 25 years ago is not the same as the one they sell today. Appliances today are flimsy, have parts that won't last, made with thin metal, have electronic parts that won't last.

I've got a fridge made in the 70's that works great. If I recomended the brand and you buy the same brand today, it might not last longer than 5 years --- and my heavy tank might very well still be working.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:06 AM

450 posts, read 798,185 times
I'd like to know what the "control panel" is in a refrigerator. There is a cold control, a thermostat, a defrost timer. If this is done with a "board" these days such a board would surely cost more that $100.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Well, that is probably just a word my repairman used. In this Amana all the electronic "works" are in a central place at the top of the fridge part.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,189 times
My aunt still had the refrigerator that my grandparents bought in the 1940's. They went from an ice box to the fridge. It still works. Another family member took it and still uses it. I think it is a GE or Hotpoint. Something like that.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:33 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
My aunt still had the refrigerator that my grandparents bought in the 1940's. They went from an ice box to the fridge. It still works. Another family member took it and still uses it. I think it is a GE or Hotpoint. Something like that.
I have two of those... one was my Grandparents "Crosley Shevador" and the other "Philco" belonged to my Great Grandparents...

Imagine they will outlive me... the Philco is 1940 and the Crosley mid 50's...

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM

165 posts, read 122,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would you keep a refrigerator that has been sitting in some condo. Sounds weird to me. I have heard that people rent places with refrigerators and always thought that was weird. I don't know what was in that thing but would not want to use it.

I would get rid of it.
It's just a refrigerator. Nothing weird about using one already there. Just give it a good clean and you're good to go. Now using a mattress that was left there, that would be weird

OP, it would depend on how old your refrigerator is. Ultimately, if you don't like it, go for a replacement if you have the money set aside. I'd be a hypocrite if I told you to get a new one since I'm going through issues with my washing machine (one of those over under units you find in apartments). It was built in 2007 and I hate it. But I'm opting to repair it myself instead of buying a new one. Though, full disclosure that's because I'd rather buy a brand new stove and the cost of parts is waaaay cheaper than 1400 for the type of unit I need But I have an older fridge as well. It works fine for now but honestly, I'm probably going to replace mine at the first sign of trouble. But my fridge also has to be about 15-20 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House