Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

I have an ugly concrete wall in my basement. It is painted but has all this hard bumps and the paint isn't even. I propose to put those "stick on tiles" directly on the concrete next to the stairs. My sister however says that if I do that mold will grow under it.

Is that true? I have never seen any sign of mold on this wall before and, in general, the basement is very dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:25 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
I don't know about mold, but if you put stick-on tiles (vinyl?) over a rough surface every little irregularity will show through. It's also likely the tiles won't stay stuck for very long. If you're talking about ceramic or porcelain tiles, the paint could be an issue. The bond will only be as strong as the weakest link.

You might need to make this a bigger project. Apply pressure treated furring strips to the wall with concrete anchors, then screw moisture resistant drywall or cement board to the furring. This will give you a solid backing for the tiles.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I don't know about mold, but if you put stick-on tiles (vinyl?) over a rough surface every little irregularity will show through. It's also likely the tiles won't stay stuck for very long. If you're talking about ceramic or porcelain tiles, the paint could be an issue. The bond will only be as strong as the weakest link.
You might need to make this a bigger project. Apply pressure treated furring strips to the wall with concrete anchors, then screw moisture resistant drywall or cement board to the furring. This will give you a solid backing for the tiles.
When I said tiles I think that gave the wrong impression. These are tiles that look like stone. They have a sponge / foam like backing. So even if you put them up and they stick out it just looks like the stone. But the sponge like backing makes it so the imperfections are drastically reduced. Sort of like a floating floor for the wall. I have put up about 1/2 already and it looks good. Also.. weirdly they stick insanely. If I had to take these down -- I just don't know that I could. Once up they are impossible to get off. I am hopeful they loosen up a little.

I tried the furring strips thing but multiple contractors refused to do the job. Citing that it couldn't be done in that particular space. I think due to the fact that there was stairs. I now worry mold was an issue.

I understand that concrete can have slight moisture come out of it. For instance I have a closet in the basement that tends to smell if I shut the door. I have been told this is due to moisture coming from the walls. But I am not sure about that because I got the "damp rid" and in months I haven't seen any moisture in the package. Also this covering is only over a very small part of the wall.. about 1/8th of it. The rest of the wall is covered by dry wall with about an inch distance between the studs and the concrete.

ETA, previously I did try the "flat" stick on tiles. I only put up four to see how they looked but they were up for 2 months. They were easy to take down. But I saw no sign of mold. When they came down the paint was the only think they took with them.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I have an ugly concrete wall in my basement.
It is painted but has all this hard bumps and the paint isn't even.
1) Live with it.
2) Glue sheetrock on top.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:25 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Why not build a false wall?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 PM

So I might have solved this myself. It occurred to me the other day that most "homes" have all four concrete walls with soil and ground on the other side. Thus the potential for water.

But this particular wall is shared with another townhome. So I can't see where moisture could come from. In fact, in my basement there is only ONE wall with soil on the other side of it.

So I think my sister is thinking of the dangers of concrete in a regular house not a condo situation where the wall I talking about has another unit on the other side.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:20 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
You only solved half of your dilemma.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:16 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
So I might have solved this myself. It occurred to me the other day that most "homes" have all four concrete walls with soil and ground on the other side. Thus the potential for water.

But this particular wall is shared with another townhome. So I can't see where moisture could come from. In fact, in my basement there is only ONE wall with soil on the other side of it.

So I think my sister is thinking of the dangers of concrete in a regular house not a condo situation where the wall I talking about has another unit on the other side.
You are correct. What is it you want to do? Pics would help.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You are correct. What is it you want to do? Pics would help.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1S..._=glimp_1rv_cl

Pics should be on the review along with the product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House