Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm sure the ducks are killed in a humane way before their feathers are harvested. Regardless, I'm not losing any sleep over having a down comforter. In fact, I'll sleep quite well being nice and toasty.
It is normally 'harvested' from live birds who are thrown back and given food to grow more feathers. Rinse and repeat.

It's easy to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend it isn't reality. I'm not a huge pro animal PETA person but what is done to animals here and abroad (especially in Asian countries) is sickening.

IMO down should be banned. At least with leather the animal is (generally) dead before you skin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 01:01 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You have the freedom to decide to be vegan; but I have the freedom not to. There is no law that says veganism is a preferred mode of living. Surely we can agree to disagree on this? Being vegan is a personal decision; not being vegan is also a personal decision.

Veganism is not a mode of living, it is a belief system.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I prefer a down alternative, because real down sometimes has hard points from the feathers, that you can only find after you've used it awhile.
We have an eider down king sized comforter and I have yet to find something poking out. But I cannot find duvet covers light enough to use it. My European sources have dried up.

For the down fiends - there is a collection limit/quota on eider and it is being enforced

Down alternative is inexpensive, works well in inside environments, can be machine washed (as can down) and dried. It depends on your needs and budget.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Veganism is not a mode of living, it is a belief system.
Yep I agree...humans are animals and are at the top of the food chain. Fact is we have been eating meat and animal products ever since we were cavemen...however what has changed is simply HOW MUCH, HOW OFTEN, and where it comes from.

We no longer go out and hunt for our food, it is raised solely for consumption often in inhumane environments.

We eat WAY too much of it and way too often as well...I used to eat meat all the time but now eat about 6 oz of Turkey a week. I have never been in better health, can do 25+ pull-ups, 50-60 push-ups, run three miles in 20 mins. Yet I rarely eat meat and could effectively cut it out completely if I had to (which I may). But still eat animal products such as eggs (two a day).

I have cut out cheese from my diet almost completely - there is zero nutritional value to it. I consume limited quantities of soy milk (3 oz) per day. It's better for you and doesn't create stomach issues (what other animal on the planet consumes another's milk, let alone after they grow to become adults?!?).

This thread has wandered off top but the US population in particular has been brainwashed to consume what we do, while being detrimental to our health, other living beings, and the environment.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Some people don't care--just flat-out don't care--that their purchase of unnecessary items harms animals, people, or the planet. The fact is that a well made down alternative comforter is every bit as warm as a down comforter, and doesn't require the torture of animals. A no-brainer. Why would someone choose a product that harms animals over an equally useful and quality product that does not? In fact, some people actually take a childish and petulant pride in the fact that they don't care. Missing moral compass, I guess.
And don't forget that polyester/synthetic fills are produced from petrochemicals. There IS an environmental impact there too.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:05 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I consume limited quantities of soy milk (3 oz) per day. It's better for you and doesn't create stomach issues (what other animal on the planet consumes another's milk, let alone after they grow to become adults?!?).
If you are lucky enough to tolerate soy, knock yourself out..just be aware that too much isn't a good idea. Soy isn't automatically better for many people (some are highly allergic including yours truly).

Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I've had both and a really good down comforter is typically a lot more expensive than a down alternative. I also find that a down is heavier and warmer than an alternative.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
kinda sorta related;
I bought a "bamboo" pillow online recently. Bamboo is a grass that grows quickly and without a lot of synthetic fertilizers. Bamboo cloth is like cotton or rayon, breathes well. Very green product.

Bit it turned out that the cover was 44% bamboo, 56% polyester, and the filling was entirely made of petrochemicals, and smelled awful. Hardly any bamboo was harmed in the making of that pillow.

My point: make sure your "alternative" is as green or as healthy as you think it's going to be.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
If you are lucky enough to tolerate soy, knock yourself out..just be aware that too much isn't a good idea. Soy isn't automatically better for many people (some are highly allergic including yours truly).
I eat a limited amount; my wife uses almond milk.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:10 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Well, I never knew about live plucking. Now that I do, I don't want to buy down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House