Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 11:12 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times

Advertisements

The place I rent had seamless gutters installed this year. Now that we have had 2 snowstorms, I notice they are full of ice and snow and icicles are coming out the front but also oozing down the back, between the gutter and the building. Is this normal?

Just curious and glad I am not the home-owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I don't think seamless has anything to with it. It sounds like the gutters aren't draining properly, possibly incorrect slope or downspout blockage, causing the overflow.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:34 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Ice dams. Very common up north. It indicates insufficient attic insulation and/or ventilation. While it may look picturesque, it can cause serious problems with mold and rot of the roof deck, walls and ceilings.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Contact the landlord with pictures. The effect is common. Short of re-doing the insulation, the cure is electric heat tape on the edge of the roof and dipping into the gutters. BTDT. The cost of the electricity is not great, but it is one the LL should cover somehow.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Contact the landlord with pictures. The effect is common. Short of re-doing the insulation, the cure is electric heat tape on the edge of the roof and dipping into the gutters. BTDT. The cost of the electricity is not great, but it is one the LL should cover somehow.
And once you turn that heat tape keep the dammed thing turned on. Don't do like my mother did and turn it off when she heard the water running. It would freeze back up at the roof edge and then leak onto her porch.

I, of course, when I told her that was told I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:05 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Ice dams. Very common up north. It indicates insufficient attic insulation and/or ventilation. While it may look picturesque, it can cause serious problems with mold and rot of the roof deck, walls and ceilings.
harry chickpea has the correct answer. Problems like that are very common in the Northern US regions. What happens is that ice and snow melting on the roof freezes in the gutters. When this happens there is no way for more water to flow, but over the edge of the gutters. Seamless metallic gutters are quite strong, but the only way to keep them clear of ice is by using heat tapes like Harry mentions in his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House