Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times

Advertisements

My house is built in early 90s so I am pretty sure I have PVC pipes. But as other people pointed out in a similar thread, roots can get even into PVC pipes. I had a clog problem but didn't want to spend $$$ on plumber to diagnose it. So I simply bought that Zep root killer for $12 and dumped it into toilet. The clog problem was eventually resolved in a month after that. So I don't think I need to hire someone with those fancy plumbing cameras just to confirm that I have roots in the pipe. However it didn't last that long. I think copper sulfate didn't kill the roots completely. The same problem resumed after few months and currently I am looking for something stronger than copper sulfate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
My house is built in early 90s so I am pretty sure I have PVC pipes. But as other people pointed out in a similar thread, roots can get even into PVC pipes. I had a clog problem but didn't want to spend $$$ on plumber to diagnose it. So I simply bought that Zep root killer for $12 and dumped it into toilet. The clog problem was eventually resolved in a month after that. So I don't think I need to hire someone with those fancy plumbing cameras just to confirm that I have roots in the pipe. However it didn't last that long. I think copper sulfate didn't kill the roots completely. The same problem resumed after few months and currently I am looking for something stronger than copper sulfate
A 100 foot steel snake is stronger than copper sulfate.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:

You, like pretty much everyone else have false expectations about the root killer. Yes, it will eventually kill the roots in the pipe. But, the tree roots will still seek water- so eventually they resume their encroachment into the pipe- and viola! The clog has returned.

So, as I had previously stated- remove the tree(s); removes the problem.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You, like pretty much everyone else have false expectations about the root killer. Yes, it will eventually kill the roots in the pipe. But, the tree roots will still seek water- so eventually they resume their encroachment into the pipe- and viola! The clog has returned.

So, as I had previously stated- remove the tree(s); removes the problem.
Well yes that's the case I guess. But in my area with very strict HOA it is pretty complicated. I got approved for the storage shed installation only on 3rd attempt. Each application takes about a month to get through. And most likely they won't approve removal of 3 trees in my front yard. I have two palm trees and one pine tree there.
And it will be a huge sacrifice. It's hard to imagine how it would look without the trees and I think there is zero chance even to get approved for this.
Honestly I think it is better to deal with the roots once in a while than kill the trees. Copper sulfate once did it's trick and it was fairly efficient at very first time. I would love to have something similar but with a stronger effect. The second treatment was not that successful. And I am looking for the chemicals because I don't want to deal with a snake and get dirty. I think chemical way is still feasible.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
Quote:
Well yes that's the case I guess. But in my area with very strict HOA it is pretty complicated. I got approved for the storage shed installation only on 3rd attempt. Each application takes about a month to get through. And most likely they won't approve removal of 3 trees in my front yard. I have two palm trees and one pine tree there.
And it will be a huge sacrifice. It's hard to imagine how it would look without the trees and I think there is zero chance even to get approved for this.
Honestly I think it is better to deal with the roots once in a while than kill the trees. Copper sulfate once did it's trick and it was fairly efficient at very first time. I would love to have something similar but with a stronger effect. The second treatment was not that successful. And I am looking for the chemicals because I don't want to deal with a snake and get dirty. I think chemical way is still feasible.
So you are saying your HOA would forbid you from removing trees? Even though that is the only way to fix your root problem? I would tell them to pound sand and sue them. This is about common sense and a a major sewer line problem.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
So you are saying your HOA would forbid you from removing trees? Even though that is the only way to fix your root problem? I would tell them to pound sand and sue them. This is about common sense and a a major sewer line problem.
I wish I could say that you are 100% correct (I'm thinking the same way), unfortunately there are those individuals on HOA boards that become Nazis with the power they wield.

For the OP there is certainly good compromises- different species of trees or shrubs that could be used as replacements that don't have a deep root system. It's convincing the idiots that a properly operating sewer line is MORE IMPORTANT than the appearance of one lot amongst 100's.

I deal with the idiots on my on HOA board- they're all tree huggers! Limbing up a tree to promote turf growth is "tree killing" to them- yet, for the life of me I can't get through those thick skulls and convince them that THEY are the "tree killers", not me because they can't see erosion and the effects it has on tree root systems- not to mention the severe droughts that we have had in recent years.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I love those trees, not only HOA. I have problem with the pipe only in a small (1/2) bathroom, not in the whole house. Those trees are nice. I love my house, but without the trees it will be incomplete. I just need to suppress the root growth. Maybe need Zep treatments each month. Something stronger would be better.
From the ethical standpoint, do you think it is justifiable to kill 3 trees to solve fairly small problem?
I had 5 large trees in my backyard. Now I have 4. I had to remove one tree to open up some space. I did it myself, saved some $$$ but my heart was full of sadness. It was a difficult decision for me to remove only one tree.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:11 PM

599 posts, read 276,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Make sure you have a clean out, and buy a long snake. If you don't have a cleanout (many houses were built before this was a code requirement) it is probably worth it to either dig the big hole yourself and install one (if you know what you're doing) or have a plumber do it. Current code requires a two way cleanout but if you put a one way cleanout right at the point where the steel pipe under the house transitions to clay, 90+ % of your issues will be solved. I have rarely seen a need to go back toward the house and have very often seen the need to go away from the house (where the trees are; few people have tree roots actually under their house).

There's only going to be one sure cure and that's replacing the clay tiles with PVC.

Please be careful of making blanket statements.
Just to clarify: The requirement for two way cleanouts depends where you are located. There is no "national" plumbing code, only the local jurisdiction having authority determines what is required.
Additionally, local plumbing code may not allow property owners from doing their own work, especially underground.

From personal experience, I have seen many property owners only create a bigger problem when they DIY. Please, leave the work to the professionals.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:15 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
A plumber can pass a video camera down the line and show you exactly what you have down there. They can then Rotor Route it out.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:19 PM

599 posts, read 276,720 times
Quote:
In my locale, where "some" people have actually designated certain areas to be "nuclear free zones" a permit is required to remove or otherwise alter a tree. Even a dead one that is threatening property or above ground utilities. Yes. Believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House