Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

When I built my house and making my daily inspection I was shocked one day to see the garage with a textured white ceiling and all painted - the same color as the house interior! It was the craziest looking thing I'd ever seen - only seen plain drywall garages up to that point but I guess all the "upscale" houses were done up this way. Ya get used to it...but it just looks that much worse to see spider webs and heavy dust in a garage that looks like it should be inside your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 01:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Nothing, it's a garage.

If you must do anything....paint a good coat of bullseye 123 primer which will simply even it up and make it look finished.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:40 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
When I built my house and making my daily inspection I was shocked one day to see the garage with a textured white ceiling and all painted - the same color as the house interior! It was the craziest looking thing I'd ever seen - only seen plain drywall garages up to that point but I guess all the "upscale" houses were done up this way. Ya get used to it...but it just looks that much worse to see spider webs and heavy dust in a garage that looks like it should be inside your house.
That's what happened to my garage. We had picked the interior color and I was surprised to that the painter just kept on going when he was done on the inside. I would have preferred an unpainted garage so I could see where the studs are, but I can live with it being painted.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 PM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
When we moved into our house, we had popcorn ceilings everywhere. Hired some guys from craigslist to scrape it off the ceiling in the garage, which they did, leaving this mess (you can see in the picture).

I don’t want to put too much money into finishing it but got to do something to make it look nice. What would be the next course of action for us? At this point after bad experiences, I don’t trust contractors for advice as it seems like most of them just want to rip you off unfortunately
I'm a drywall expert.
I would have a skim coat of joint compound installed. Sand, prime and paint it.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
I taped professionally in a former life (after college and before career). That sheetrock has been sanded already. Unless you have it all skim coated don't sand again. That will tear the paper. A pro skim coat and a light touch up sanding would be better than most living room ceilings. If I were you I would simply prime and paint. Flat paint will hide a lot. It should look fine. Also, it appears the angles are not taped. If you have it skim coated have them tape the angles too. Otherwise I would add a trim like a quarter round or other molding.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Go get some premixed drywall patch. Get a sparkle knife and smooth out the gouges.
Then primer and paint it. I would not waste the money to texture it.

I drywalled my garage. I s8moky installed the drywall taped it and muddled. Then I printed and paint the garage. It’s a garage.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Fill in any divots and sand the ceiling smooth then paint away. Twice.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Go get some premixed drywall patch. Get a sparkle knife and smooth out the gouges.
Then primer and paint it. I would not waste the money to texture it.

I drywalled my garage. I s8moky installed the drywall taped it and muddled. Then I printed and paint the garage. It’s a garage.

There is a good chance that the op doesn't know what a spackle knife. If I'm wrong then I am sorry but from the first post his contractors did what they said and also he hired them to scrape off popcorn which they did.

So he needs to keep it simple. Either hire someone to finish it or use a texture roll on and then paint. Even if he has never painted he could do that or hire someone to do it.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
NO! Not knock down. It will look grimy in no time and try to wash that crap? No way. I do Janitorial for a living and that crap finish is everywhere out here.

I’d prime it as it is then paint with a texture paint and a roller. It will have a nubby texture and the stuff left over should blend in. It’s a garage, no one really cares.
I disagree. Its a garage and those that are in to quality lifestyles do care. Garages have for too long been unfinished spaces that no one wants to spend time in. I am always amazed at the number of garages being used for junk storage when major investments are sitting outside.

The garage should bring the home outside into it. Many people have taken down the popcorn in the home and textured with knock down or even orange peel finish. Both stay way cleaner than popcorn. Over time that popcorn will attract dirt much more easier than any knockdown finish will.

Not only is my garage a shop space with custom cabinets and a nice work area, it also includes a big screen TV, car art, and is a nice place to hang out.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Those texture cans are too expensive.

They are not cheap, but they are easy to use for those that don't have a gun to shoot it on. Besides the investment is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House