Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/search?q=cust...ulJ93zfGf4vPM:

Just a garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
They are not cheap, but they are easy to use for those that don't have a gun to shoot it on. Besides the investment is worth it.
You don't "need" a gun, hopper or compressor for it. I have already posted a picture and a link for pre mixed sanded roll on texture And it is much less expensive than the cans. I would use that for a larger area. The cans are fine for small areas.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
Thanks for replies everyone.

I'm probably going to fill in the holes myself, a bit of sanding then prime and paint.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Yeah count me in the camp of those who are wondering why are you bothering to remove popcorn in a garage. Our garage still has the textured ceiling that was common in homes from the 80s. It's a garage, we don't care. We don't need another space to hang out, we have other living spaces for that. We'd rather park our cars outside, it's far easier than swinging out of a side entry garage. We have cabinets and such that were there when we purchased the house, but the garage is also used for storage. I have several things that I've kept all of my life and I don't want to pay for a storage unit if I don't have to!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
I disagree. Its a garage and those that are in to quality lifestyles do care. Garages have for too long been unfinished spaces that no one wants to spend time in. I am always amazed at the number of garages being used for junk storage when major investments are sitting outside.

The garage should bring the home outside into it. Many people have taken down the popcorn in the home and textured with knock down or even orange peel finish. Both stay way cleaner than popcorn. Over time that popcorn will attract dirt much more easier than any knockdown finish will.

Not only is my garage a shop space with custom cabinets and a nice work area, it also includes a big screen TV, car art, and is a nice place to hang out.
A loooooooot of generalizations here. I know plenty of people, myself included, who have nice homes and quality lifestyles that also have very basic garages. Not better or worse than anyone else's choices, of course.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
A loooooooot of generalizations here. I know plenty of people, myself included, who have nice homes and quality lifestyles that also have very basic garages. Not better or worse than anyone else's choices, of course.
Fair enough.

Maybe it goes to preference then. I prefer a finished garage. Others may prefer an unfinished garage. In the end it does not matter.

I wanted to give an option to those that say it is just a garage. For them maybe it is just a garage. To me a garage is where I store my things of value. I prefer a nice place for those things. I prefer a usable space that others would love to spend time in.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

Maybe it goes to preference then. I prefer a finished garage. Others may prefer an unfinished garage. In the end it does not matter.

I wanted to give an option to those that say it is just a garage. For them maybe it is just a garage. To me a garage is where I store my things of value. I prefer a nice place for those things. I prefer a usable space that others would love to spend time in.
I'm a couple notches below that in my garage thinking, but yours sounds like a great place to hang and crack a beer.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

I honestly wouldn't want to spend extended time in a garage, at least not here in texas. I'd rather hang out in the other air conditioned living spaces in our home than the garage. Ours could be considered finished - there's drywall everywhere and some cabinets and stuff, but nothing about it screams I want to hang out in there, not when there's so many other place to do that. but to each their own.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I honestly wouldn't want to spend extended time in a garage, at least not here in texas. I'd rather hang out in the other air conditioned living spaces in our home than the garage. Ours could be considered finished - there's drywall everywhere and some cabinets and stuff, but nothing about it screams I want to hang out in there, not when there's so many other place to do that. but to each their own.
OK you got me there. Where we live humidity is between 20% and 60% year round. That is comfortable. Temperatures in our area are on average in the low 70's year round. I live a couple miles from the Pacific Ocean in Southern California, almost between Santa Barbara to the North and Malibu to the South. For us the garage is an extension of our home.

May not work in the hot areas or the cold areas. But it works here.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
1. Paint if flat black; or

2. Hang a bunch of stuff from the ceiling so you can no longer see it. (Garages are for storage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House