Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:28 PM

15,397 posts, read 7,459,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
I used to have a front load washer in my previous home. It was fine, except that I didn't like having to worry about getting moldy more so than the top load washers. I love the lumber idea, but our floor is ceramic tile, not sure how to attach the lumber to the floor without damaging the tile. Maybe I should hire a handyman...
Build a frame around the pedestal so it sits on the main floor, and you don't have to attach it to the floor. The pedestal will keep the wood from moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Front load washers don't walk. That is why I got a front loader. I suspect that with an unbalanced load, a probable frequent occurrence, your machine will rattle, vibrate and rock until it moves at least 1 inch. Unless you can frame it out with lumber that attaches to both the floor and the rafters.
Tell that to my DIL. She heard some strange noises coming from her laundry room and it was almost off the pedestal when she hit the stop button. Ya, they do walk if they aren't balanced properly.

Washing Machine Dancing across Floor | Appliance Aid

Here's some ideas on a Whirlpool forum: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1713643

Old 01-07-2018, 08:02 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Washers don't "walk" with a BLANCED load-

Doesn't matter "what" was in there- it matters "how" it's in there.
They do walk. The spin cycle makes them walk, especially if the washer is not leveled. One can only eye-ball the load to ensure it is balanced, there is no perfect way to measure that, especially when all you have in there is a bunch of fluffy sheets. I've never had this problem before, but this time around I started to search the internet, and the world is full of moving washers and unhappy owners that have tried so many things to no avail - they can't all be negligent with unbalanced loads, can they?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:05 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,335 times
Thank you all!! Very helpful, lots of great ideas.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:44 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Front load washers don't walk. That is why I got a front loader. I suspect that with an unbalanced load, a probable frequent occurrence, your machine will rattle, vibrate and rock until it moves at least 1 inch. Unless you can frame it out with lumber that attaches to both the floor and the rafters.
Maybe not as much, but our Frigidaire FL will move. It has smacked into the dryer enough to crack the plastic front panels of both machines. Our units are on the manufacturer's pedestals which are handy storage, but they aggravate the problem.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:52 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
They do walk. The spin cycle makes them walk, especially if the washer is not leveled. One can only eye-ball the load to ensure it is balanced, there is no perfect way to measure that, especially when all you have in there is a bunch of fluffy sheets. I've never had this problem before, but this time around I started to search the internet, and the world is full of moving washers and unhappy owners that have tried so many things to no avail - they can't all be negligent with unbalanced loads, can they?
What I have done that seems to help, is when installing set the back of the washer as low as possible. Check the floor first to see if it is badly out of level and adjust the legs according to your level. once it is in place check the front for level and adjust accordingly. Check the level front to back and adjust for the unit to be flat.
Finally adjust the front legs so that the torque on them seems equal on the two front legs. Recheck levels. If the macchine rocks when you push on it, fiddle some more. Set the dryer unit to match side to side and front to back.
What you seek to do is have the unit level with equal pressure on all four legs.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Quote:
We bought a washer at Costco, and upon delivery and installation I decided to do our laundry. First couple of loads were fine, but after that we ran into trouble. The washer has moved from its original position, fell over, and the hose to the back of it got disconnected in the process, so the water went onto the floor instead (good thing we have tile floors). Costco will be coming back to level the washer properly, and to reconnect it.

I am not convinced that the leveling alone will solve the problem, and here's why. A bit of background - the washer is located in the basement, on a square concrete pedestal, about an inch high. The washer fits well on the pedestal, however, there is not a lot of room left from the washer to the edge of the pedestal, maybe an inch all around. The washer needs to be placed there, and nowhere else, do to the proximity to the basement sink. This is a large unit, 4.8 cu ft. What to do to ensure we don't repeat the previous accident?

Thank you!
Make model? Do a search on that model and see if this is a common issue. If so, instead of having Costco level it (which is probably not the issue) replace with another model. I had a Whirlpool washer that walked since the day I got it. It walked whether or not there was anything in it beyond water. It was a common issue with that model. Even tore a hole in the floor and subfloor. Ended up tying it to the dryer with some belts (not the kind you wear) which prevented it from walking but it still made some god awful noises as it was trying to.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:32 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,484,975 times
I think there's adjustable feet on those things. Each foot pad at each corner should have good contact with the floor such that supports its share of the weight. If so the machine will be more stable and less likely to rock. It could be level but one corner is in lighter contact with the floor allowing the rocking.

Check to see of there is loose dust, debris, or dirt on the floor, under the feet, that would interfere with the grip of the feet to the floor, allowing it to more easily slip around. Think of it as tiny ball bearings under the feet.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
The quickest fix I can think of is to get those silicone mats that you use in your car to put on the dash to hold a phone in place and use one under each foot of the washer.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:25 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I bought a front loader in 1985... it was a small unit for the cabin.

Movement was part of the design... it had wheels instead of feet and the wheels sat in a track that came with the machine.

I too had it on a pedestal and it was problematic until I looked into it more... there was a motion sensor that could be adjusted... it would reverse if the there was an out of balance condition...

Adjust the sensor to make if more sensitive and problem solved...

By making it more sensitive... it might reverse 5 or 6 times before warp speed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House