Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I doubt someone with shower curtains could say the same thing that they look as good as the day they hung them. .
I can. My shower curtains are washable fabric. All it takes is a cycle in the washer and then hang them back up again where they dry naturally. They look and smell pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I’m 3x5’ enamel cast iron shower base, dual shower heads, and 1/2” glass shower door that hinges both in and out. Squeegee it every time. Scrub the lime deposit off a couple times per year. I’m 6’2”. A tub in a 5x8 1/2 foot bathroom footprint is useless. We are talking about a soaking tub in a solarium addition. With today’s low birth rates. A combo tub shower with a sliding glass doors screams 1970’s baby factory housing.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
We took out the old beat up shower and tub. The tile guy went back to the studs to make a walk in shower with no door. Tile to the ceiling on 3 sides, not enclosed. We like it.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m 3x5’ enamel cast iron shower base, dual shower heads, and 1/2” glass shower door that hinges both in and out. Squeegee it every time. Scrub the lime deposit off a couple times per year. I’m 6’2”. A tub in a 5x8 1/2 foot bathroom footprint is useless. We are talking about a soaking tub in a solarium addition. With today’s low birth rates. A combo tub shower with a sliding glass doors screams 1970’s baby factory housing.
huh, I didn't realize people stopped having babies after the 1970s!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm perplexed. People are still having children. We chose to keep one tub in the home for resale purposes. We opted to not have the huge garden style tub in our master bath. Dust collector for us and simply never used. Also have showers in other baths but in the one bathroom we chose to have a tub shower combo so there was a tub somewhere in the house.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I have a laege, walk-in shower with two sliding, clear glass, frame less glass doors. After each shower I spray both side of the doors with water. After 2-3 showers, I spray the doors with water first then I spray them with Clean Shower. They look like new.

My experience says those with metal frames are the worst to keep clean.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I did a quick search and found the last time this subject was covered was back in 2012/2014. Likely out of date by now.

Are glass shower doors for a tub shower combo "OUT"? My builder did not offer that as an option. If we want them it will be something we have to do after the home is closed on. It left me wondering if people just don't do them anymore?

There are the sliding kind. But I've also seen a glass "wall" with a small area you can step into the tub left glassless on the end furthest from the shower head. Ive also seen a door that swims out there as well. The last two are significantly more expensive than the sliding door version.

Are any of these options "IN"? The Designer at our appointment to choose our options told us that those are out of date. People prefer shower curtains.

They say they are out, especially on tubs where people like to take baths; however, if you like them then go for it. Shower curtains are cheap and easy to replace or wash when they get moldy. My husband prefers the doors (sliding), they are nice, however he doesn't clean the bathroom

Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I like shower curtains and especially the ones they make now that are mold resistant but I still throw it in the washer and hang it back up to dry and good to go . Yes my husband does not clean the bathroom either so I can see why maybe a member of the male species likes the glass doors they don't have to clean them . I say clean the bathroom you men or use a shower curtain LOL !!!!

Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I'm a woman and I hate shower curtains.

But then again, I don't clean my shower and if I had a husband, he wouldn't either, I have housecleaners who do.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:08 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I remember many years ago we looked at a house for sale. The second the front door was opened my eyes went straight up a half flight of stairs to a glass shower door! I told my husband there was no way I would have a house where the clear glass shower door was visible from the front door so it would always have to be perfectly clean. Let alone if someone was showering and the bathroom door got opened and then someone came to the front door!
Stuff like this makes you wonder about architects/home designers. They never lived in their creations. Maybe they grew up in caves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House