Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Install a inexpensive crack monitor and don't worry about it until you have to. There is no reason to spend 5 figures when you don't need to.

https://www.certifiedmtp.com/concret...SABEgKWVfD_BwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Install a inexpensive crack monitor and don't worry about it until you have to. There is no reason to spend 5 figures when you don't need to.

https://www.certifiedmtp.com/concret...SABEgKWVfD_BwE
A more inexpensive crack monitor is a small piece of left over glass. Epoxy it to the wall on each side of the crack. If it breaks, it is still moving.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A more inexpensive crack monitor is a small piece of left over glass. Epoxy it to the wall on each side of the crack. If it breaks, it is still moving.
Either way, if the the OP had a trustable contractor there would've been one there already. IMO having a competent contractor and lifting company is okay, but the OP should actually have a Engineer's report which isn't a conflict of interest as a contractor and lifting company are.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Where are the cracks and how many?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
It is a pier-foundation, I think they can redo them without lifting the house?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My experience is that pier and beam foundations are easier to repair than slab foundations and usually the repairs are less intrusive and often less expensive.

Just did this at my house.. an addition of one pier and steel beam was enough to stop the house settling in this case.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:56 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
I am not a civil engineer and I do not live in California, but many homes in NC have foundation problems because of old designs and poor soil conditions. The State law on these repairs requires an engineering survey and plan before the home owner is given a quote. There is no guestimate, it is a formal technical document.
You need your State's equivalent. It sounds to me like you might get a proposal for new piers of poured concrete or concrete block at several hundred up to $1000 a piece.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:17 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I am not a civil engineer and I do not live in California, but many homes in NC have foundation problems because of old designs and poor soil conditions. The State law on these repairs requires an engineering survey and plan before the home owner is given a quote. There is no guestimate, it is a formal technical document.
You need your State's equivalent. It sounds to me like you might get a proposal for new piers of poured concrete or concrete block at several hundred up to $1000 a piece.
Up here in maine that's well within the scope of DIY REPAIR, a few bottle jacks and dunnage, then install piers...

but in california, well...i wouldn't be surprised if you needed a building permit to paint a fence.

Watch the Ridgeline on the roof, settling shows up there.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Time is anyone's guess... Earthquake or Water Saturation/Dry cycles can also be problematic.

I have 1920's Bungalows and most structural pest reports call these...

Sometime it is simply a grade issue and installing/upgrading drainage... a 24k bid has been solved for over 20 years now for less than a $800 and my labor.

Also have taken out permits for foundation work... also saved a bundle but lots of grunt work...

If you are on a Hillside or and area with significant movement time is not on your side...

All of my examples were on basically flat land...

Old 01-15-2018, 01:38 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bqueen View Post
Ok...so I’ve seen multiple foundation companies, received estimates, and I am wondering if there is anyone who has been through a similar experience as mine and how you proceeded.

Background: I have a 1920’s bungalow with original concrete piers supporting the house. Over the years they have been shimmied and reinforcement has been attempted but not to code or by a professional. We have. 2-3 inch slop from the front of the house to the back. There are not large cracks noted throughout the house such as a crack you can fit a quarter into. I’m assuming the settling has continued slowly over time.

My question again is...how much time do I have before I need to repair the foundation? Can I wait till I notice larger cracks? I know that the house may become unsound if I continue to wait...I feel like I’m living in a ticking time bomb. I also live in California and while I’m not near a major fault I worry that an after shock could bring the house down...is that even realistic?

Thoughts?

My house suffered foundation damage in 89 Loma Prieta quake. It sunk about 4 inches on the right side. We got a low interest FEMA loan for 4K to fix it.

My thinking is you're more worried about the cost and I'm betting it's not as high as you think...

Find some places and get some quotes. This is a perfect reason to get a HELOC (home equity line of credit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House