Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times

Advertisements

OP - you say you're not seeing them in new house plans. We built 10 years ago (so, new-ish home plans) - and our builder offered them (in certain rooms) as upgrade/options on pretty much any of their floor plans.

We discussed it, we had skylights in our previous home, both in bathrooms - we had one minor leak (after a very high wind storm) that was quickly fixed - we both liked the natural light they let in (you didn't need to turn on lights in those bathrooms during the day) - but decided that the rooms they were offering skylights in (cathedral ceiling-ed sunroom) was silly as the room is already windows on 3 sides.

Since we have a 2 story home, there's really no option for skylights for any of the other public rooms, and while it'd be nice in a bedroom, it seems silly given that generally we're only in bedrooms at night. There is an upstairs bath (exterior wall, no windows) that is dark, and when everything else we want to spend money on is done, we might some day add a skylight or solar tube to that bathroom. I know it would make a huge difference in light/feeling. But not important enough at this point to spend the $.

Anyway, just saying that 10 years ago (in the Midwest, national builder) skylights were definitely an option. They're just not generally a standard feature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 08:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
The only place I've had them was on my 50'x100' hangar years ago. It had a metal roof, and the fiberglass "skylights" simply replaced a few of the steel panels on the roof. There were 8, maybe 12, each 2'x8' iirc. I loved 'em for letting in light. I spent a fair amount of time in the hangar working on the plane, and in the daytime I didn't need the lights at all.

Then we had a big hail storm one year (baseball sized hail) that busted out several of them. Luckily no hail came through and damaged any planes. Insurance replaced them with the same kind. I really liked them.

But I'm a home inspector, and I've seen way too many leaky skylights in homes to get too excited about them. They're nice, but they can be oh so troublesome.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Baseball hail would also have damaged the metal roof, wouldn’t it?

Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

But I'm a home inspector, and I've seen way too many leaky skylights in homes to get too excited about them. They're nice, but they can be oh so troublesome.
Have you seen more leaky skylights than you have leaky roofs? I have seen dozens of leaky roofs, but only one leaky skylight. Maybe I just have a very limited sampling. IF you are a busy home inspector you have probably seen hundreds of homes.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Our neighborhood is 29 years old. I think most of the houses originally had sky lights, and most of them have chosen to roof them over.
What I don’t like about them is the inability to control the sun or moonlight and it bothers me to look up and see dirt or debris on them.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:56 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
.... it bothers me to look up and see dirt or debris on them.
We used to have one in our bathroom. One of our cats liked to get on the roof, sit on the skylight and look down at whoever was in there.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
We used to have one in our bathroom. One of our cats liked to get on the roof, sit on the skylight and look down at whoever was in there.
Now, that would be cute!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times
Quote:
Are skylights not "cool" anymore?
One word: Drones.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:05 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
One word: Drones.

One word- Shotgun!
For your drone and deadbolt!

Old 02-02-2018, 03:28 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have a lot of clients who like them when we look at houses, but when we re-roofed our house this summer, we took ours out. They're hot in summer, and suck the heat out in winter.

I understand ours were older and more efficient designs exist, but in the end, it's still an unnecessary hole in the roof, and they're noisy. We get enough rain in Washington... I don't want to hear it, all winter.
Once, a long time ago, we were thinking of having one put in when we were getting a new roof. The roofer pointed out the reasons why we shouldn't. We trusted him, so we didn't. I'm glad we didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House