Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, we have the below glass block window in our shower that we would like to replace with a regular opening window. We had a few window install guys give us quotes but after reading online have gotten all kinds of mixed opinions. So I’ve come here for even more mixed opinions 😄. Our concern, obviously we can’t put a wood frame window due to moisture, so choices are vinyl or fiberglass- any good experiences with either? We wanted to do a casement window vs a double hung- any issues with this? I’ve had bad experiences with home improvement installers and I’m talking about companies with great review and referrals, anything in particular I should look out for when they install? Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Yes, you can use wood, you just need it painted on all surfaces. All of our bathrooms have wood windows, except one that has no windows.

Be aware of any privacy concerns that may arise, you might want clouded glass.

PVC (Vinyl) windows are garbage. Steel or wood. If you love PVC, get wood or metal with PVC cladding.

I do not know a lot about Fiberglass windows. I do not remember ever hearing of them. Do they make windows of carbon fiber? That seems like it woudl be a good product.

I always suggest finding windows with real panes. The reason is that if you get a broken window, you are just replacing the pane. Also whatever you get, make certain it is repairable. Some windows if the glass breaks or if they get a leak, you have to replace the entire window.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:07 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I like the idea of the casement-

As to the frame/sash material, my first question would be "what are the other windows in the house made of?" I would certainly want to replicate that if at all possible. If the answer is wood then you just need to do an alternative- like PVC. The whole jamb/stop/sill/trim could be PVC- a far superior choice from "vinyl".

As for the glass, I'd definitely do a frosted. If it's a IG sash hopefully both panes can be frosted- giving plenty of privacy.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Depending on how the glass block was framed / built-in to the exterior wall this can be a HUGE project that would really have questionable payback. If the home is masonary construction this is going require awful demolition. Even if there is facebrick over traditional framing there is greatly elevated risk of any replacement window leaking from the exterior. Even if the home is clapboards or other siding if the glassblock was installed with a exposed lintel the switch to a regular window would require lots of reframing.

There are "glassblock window units" that are fairly easy to swap out for a traditional window but the refinishing could be a nightmare -- both the interior and exterior walls may need considerable reworking.

The OP really should think through what is involved to get this "done right". It is one thing to hire a "window installation company" that is accustomed to putting replacement windows in for old windows, they typically remove the sash, remove the sill, seal everything and can do a good jobs with minimal disruption. The rather different installation details required for removing the glass block, starting with an all new layer of "flexible flashing" and the various air-infiltration membranes can be a HUGE project that is going to be potentially very time consuming and costly.

I have to say that having renovated a few dozen bathrooms in both my own homes as well rental units I have never encountered any situation that did not demand some pretty extensive repairs due to even minor water infiltration. The reasons for this have to do with the fact that all the wood used either for framing or even just to "shim in" showers and baths naturally expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity. That means that even with perfect caulking there is still going to some water that works its way into the cavities. The 'expansion coefficient" of tile & stone is pretty much zero, fiberglass is minimal, structural aluminum is modest, wood a bit higher, products like vinyl (and PVC is a specific vinyl) is MUCH higher -- that difference means that you are doomed fighting water infiltration. Any window that has moveable panes (either double hung or casement) is a terrible choice to mount where water will hit it from shower. A fixed pane is less likely to fail, of course when you really evaluate the different between what the OP has and fixed pane there is not much sense in tearing things out...

If there is a desire for more "fresh air" in the bathroom it makes sense to consider adding window that is not going to be hit from shower. If there is not any way to do that without reconfiguration of whole bathroom just stick with bathroom fan. There are some that do actually bring in replacement air - Bath Ventilation with HRV = Smart Move! - iaqsource.com

Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 PM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
Coldjensens: The other windows are wood, I thought it would be a bad idea to put a wood frame window in the shower. What's considered a real pane, how would I determine a window has a real pane-I always thought a glass window is a pane of glass.

K'ledge: some of our windows are casement and some double hung, I really like the casement windows- the look, how they open fully to let a lot of air in, even the opening mechanism-I've never had these types of window in previous homes but prefer them. So PVC is different than vinyl?

Chett: That's my major concern-installation, I'd hate for them to break the shower tiles or have water leaking from outside, the blocks seem to be individual blocks and one is cracked, which is one of the reasons we want to replace. We had 3 quotes and all range in the $600 to $800 range including the window-I think this is probably too cheap for window+labor but who knows. I may buy the window and have them install. One of the installers was a carpenter and didn't seem concerned with the install. Another thing is, shouldn't the glass be tempered if it's in the shower? Only one installer suggested this. If I could find a matching block, I probably could just replace the one block-you have me second guessing.

Below is the back of the home and window and it's concrete siding.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:12 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
From what I see it would probably be a fairly straightforward reno. Of course, damage to surrounding surfaces either interior or exterior could be probable. If you don't have any extra tiles from the shower you may want to reconsider. Trim and siding is most likely readily available.

However, I think you would probably have to have a custom-sized unit built and that wouldn't be "inexpensive". And yes, by code the glass would have to be tempered. Some of those glass block windows came as units- they had a metal frame and a nailing flange for mounting- yours could probably be one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House