Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times

Advertisements

I'm researching new fridges to buy for our new home. We had an LG French door counter depth fridge in our last home. It was very reliable as we didn't have one issue with it in the over 11 years we had it. However Im not a huge fan of the French door mainly because the big freezer drawer on the bottom is a pain. Didn't hold much and was hard to store and find things in.

We will need a counter depth fridge again for this new home. While browsing I came across a style that is new (to me) in a Samsung. Four door fridge. the freezer on the bottom is two doors like the top and you can use one side of that freezer for more fridge storage if you want as it converts from freezer to fridge.

Ive heard about the awful issues with Samsung appliances and am very hesitant. When I mentioned this to the sales guy he told me LG also makes this same style fridge. Although they didn't have it on their floor.

I came home and found it online and both get excellent reviews on Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowes websites. The Samsung is about $400 more than the LG. as it seems Home Depot may be closing the LG out, Im guessing.

Samsung Showcase 22.04 cu Ft 4 door Flex French Door Counter Depth Refrigerator model # RF22K9381SR

LG 23 cu Ft French Door Refrigerator Counter Depth Model LNXC237265

Does anyone have these? Have a Samsung? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I would stay away from Samsung appliances. There are many reported issues with the seals and compressors in the refrigerator. I have a Samsung refrigerator. It's the 4 door. At 3 years nothing but problems with the seal, error codes, to the ice maker and vents inside clogging with ice.

I went to the Samsung site to find other people having the exact problems. A tech came out 4 times to try to fix it, nothing. Most of the parts in the refrigerator are new because they have all been replaced but Home Depot just refunded me for the refrigerator because it was not repairable on their end. Sometimes it's hard to find a Samsung certified technician in certain areas as well. I have Samsung electronics that I've had no problems with but the appliances I won't touch again. I do have other Samsung appliances and crossing my fingers on those because they are newer.

I've never owned LG appliances.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
I have a similar experience with a Samsung fridge. It's by far the noisiest refrigerator I've ever owned. It rattles and buzzes incessantly. While it holds a lot and keeps the temperature very consistent, I'll never buy another one (or any other Samsung appliance). I'm actually looking forward to the day it eventually dies!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:54 AM

thanks for that feed back! So important to hear. The reviews on the web sites (Lowes, Home Depot and Best Buy) are good but I knew the washer and dryers had major issues. Honestly I wish I could just get the old standard fridge but can't find one large enough to fit in the opening provided in our new kitchen unless it is a high end $10k fridge. Wish someone would make the top freezer bottom fridge models in a counter depth wide width!

Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I've had 3 Samsung appliances (and a couple tech goodies). To me, they are like Apple in they have good style and good concept, but the 2 fridges I've had were both plagued by the same problem, although in different manor. The first burned out the defrost heater after a couple years and it's a "major replacement item" that requires draining the freon.... unless you're a handy DIYer, then it's $40 and an hour of time. The second (current) drains the condensation through the freezer area and it freezes solid, which leads to flooding out the interior. A couple sections of copper electrical wire that I soldered to the heating element and protrude through the area that used to freeze over.

But I absolutely love the fact that they are dual-compressor units... fridge having a problem? Doesn't impact the freezer. They have both been the Quietest fridges I've lived with too, by a long way. I mentioned the styling already, fit and finish just seems to be a step up from their competitors.

I'm not sure I'd stay away from Samsung, but I'm comfortable with DIYing solutions to stupid problems. I don't think I should Have to, but because they exist I get to buy the used appliances for stupid cheap. Buying new and not a DIY/handy person... yeah, Samsung probably isn't the right brand for you. I'm also hesitant on LG, but that's perhaps bias from years ago when they were entering the market and their stuff was utter crap.

The Samsung range I bought more than a decade ago was 100% rock solid in performance and build. The tech stuff, similarly, has been mostly without fault (issue with a printer, but that was due to cheaping out on some capacitors that didn't perform at elevation, which is standard procedure and well known among the electronics community that live a mile or more above sea level).

Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've had 3 Samsung appliances (and a couple tech goodies). To me, they are like Apple in they have good style and good concept, but the 2 fridges I've had were both plagued by the same problem, although in different manor. The first burned out the defrost heater after a couple years and it's a "major replacement item" that requires draining the freon.... unless you're a handy DIYer, then it's $40 and an hour of time. The second (current) drains the condensation through the freezer area and it freezes solid, which leads to flooding out the interior. A couple sections of copper electrical wire that I soldered to the heating element and protrude through the area that used to freeze over.

But I absolutely love the fact that they are dual-compressor units... fridge having a problem? Doesn't impact the freezer. They have both been the Quietest fridges I've lived with too, by a long way. I mentioned the styling already, fit and finish just seems to be a step up from their competitors.

I'm not sure I'd stay away from Samsung, but I'm comfortable with DIYing solutions to stupid problems. I don't think I should Have to, but because they exist I get to buy the used appliances for stupid cheap. Buying new and not a DIY/handy person... yeah, Samsung probably isn't the right brand for you. I'm also hesitant on LG, but that's perhaps bias from years ago when they were entering the market and their stuff was utter crap.

The Samsung range I bought more than a decade ago was 100% rock solid in performance and build. The tech stuff, similarly, has been mostly without fault (issue with a printer, but that was due to cheaping out on some capacitors that didn't perform at elevation, which is standard procedure and well known among the electronics community that live a mile or more above sea level).
I prefer not dropping big money on something that isn't going to last. I would not have the capability to fix it myself, should anything go wrong. Sounds like Samsung isn't the brand for me

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
We had an LG counter-depth frig in our last house. I bought it new in 2014 for roughly $3,200 if memory serves correct. It was by far the worst appliance I have ever come across, and quite honestly, the only appliance I have ever had to call a service tech for to try and repair it (which they didn't and I basically sent the guy on his way). It had that direct drive thingamajiggy compressor as well. Two huge problems.

1) It was whisper quiet for about a month, and then it started making this low humming noise from the back. I cleaned it out, pulled it out, all that stuff. Would not stop. Drove me insane.

2) After about 60 days, the water started to taste like crap. Replaced the filter with genuine OEM. No joy. It would get stale and moldy while sitting in the lines.

We have a Samsung full size in our new house. I bought it new in 2015 when we moved in. It has been flawless. Same direct-drive compressor technology. Not a single complaint, and it gets beat on pretty good by a 9 year old, a 7 year old, and all of their neighborhood friends who have come to realize that our house is the "kool aide" house.

Only LG product I would personally recommend from my own experience, is some of their top-load washing machines. I know they're a good brand and all, but I don't think they're that good. We have a 50' TV that is maybe 7 years old from them. 2 of the 3 HDMI connector ports no longer work for whatever reason.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We had an LG counter-depth frig in our last house. I bought it new in 2014 for roughly $3,200 if memory serves correct. It was by far the worst appliance I have ever come across, and quite honestly, the only appliance I have ever had to call a service tech for to try and repair it (which they didn't and I basically sent the guy on his way). It had that direct drive thingamajiggy compressor as well. Two huge problems.

1) It was whisper quiet for about a month, and then it started making this low humming noise from the back. I cleaned it out, pulled it out, all that stuff. Would not stop. Drove me insane.

2) After about 60 days, the water started to taste like crap. Replaced the filter with genuine OEM. No joy. It would get stale and moldy while sitting in the lines.

We have a Samsung full size in our new house. I bought it new in 2015 when we moved in. It has been flawless. Same direct-drive compressor technology. Not a single complaint, and it gets beat on pretty good by a 9 year old, a 7 year old, and all of their neighborhood friends who have come to realize that our house is the "kool aide" house.

Only LG product I would personally recommend from my own experience, is some of their top-load washing machines. I know they're a good brand and all, but I don't think they're that good. We have a 50' TV that is maybe 7 years old from them. 2 of the 3 HDMI connector ports no longer work for whatever reason.
Interesting. Our LG fridge was purchased new in 2006 and we had not one issue with it. LG front load purchased on 2006 no mechanical issues until last year with a water pump replacement. However definitely has that front load mildew odor issue. 3 LG Tv's all purchased in 2006 and all running perfectly still.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
My opinion from our experience (1) with the LG counter depth refrigerator - they tried to cram too much into a smaller box. When I pushed it out and looked at it underneath from the back to try and figure out what was causing the moldy water, it was like a rubix cube under there with so much mechanical stuff crammed in there. The plastic waterline dangled on the back side of the fridge, with I think was a contributor to the moldy smelling and tasting water.

Google search found quite a few complaints about that model that all spoke to our issues as well (along with a few reviews on Home Depot at that time). Buzzy noise and stinky water.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
To be honest I hate French door refrigerators. I find the double doors on the upper portion to be a real pain because it prevents you from using the counters on either side as a landing zone for foods removed from the refrigerator. Also I find the doors to be too narrow to remove bigger items and it always seems that if I open one door the item I am looking for is on the other side.

The only reason we bought this one (Kitchenaid) is because all of the larger refrigerators these days are either French door or side-by-side and we needed the biggest refrigerator we could get. The one we have has the pull out freezer which I agree is a real pain to keep organized but we also have a middle refrigerated drawer that we use for produce which we do like.

I had seen the four-door refrigerator you are considering but do think it will be very difficult to get things out of the freezer since you have to bend over to see what is in there. I would think that is even harder to keep organized. Who wants to be down on your hands and knees cleaning out a bottom freezer? Not me.

Also I am pretty sure that Samsung is one of the least reliable brands you can buy. I am not sure LG is much better but it sounds like you had no problems with the one you had previously. Unfortunately today's appliances are not all that reliable. The days of having a major appliance more than 10 years are gone. Repairmen will tell you do not expect more than 10 years from any of them. They blame the energy efficiency but I think it is more like planned obsolescence so the companies can keep selling more and more appliances every so many years. Good luck with choosing. It seems to be trying to pick the lesser of multiple evils these days. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House