Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:35 PM

471 posts, read 404,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What are the good makes for new water heaters? I may need to get a new one. I have a 14 YO gas water heater and would like to get in front of it to avoid problems.
This, I would like to know. From what I have read, you are supposed try to find ones for which the user can replace the rods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 07:27 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post A warranty and a corporation that will still be around in 2-10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What are the good makes for new water heaters? I may need to get a new one. I have a 14 YO gas water heater and would like to get in front of it to avoid problems.
Look for a reputable (non-zombie) brand with a long warranty.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:41 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My water heater is at least 13 years old. Sorry I don't know the capacity.
Does a water heater give you a 'hint' that's it's going? or on its last legs?

I declare I think my heater isn't keeping my water hot as long as it used to. Not even long enough for a shower.

When it's cold outside, does that (should it) affect water heaters?
(I never felt those effects before. but thought I'd ask)

Also, can they be 'serviced' or rehabbed?
I suppose if I call a repairman -- just because of the units age??? I should expect them to say it's old replace it?
Water heaters are relatively simple devices. If they are not leaking from the tank they can generally be repaired by replacing the parts that are not functioning. There are NO expensive parts on an electric water heater. The lower element on an electric water heater is the typical offender when you have minimal hot water. It is a $10-$15 dollar part that can be changed out rather quickly by a qualified plumber. Don't be talked into replacement of the entire unit unless it is actively leaking. I see water heaters more than 20 years of age and functioning properly on a regular basis. My own unit is 24 years old, on hard well water and functioning fine. The only repair has been been replacement of an element. Other than an occasional draining, no other maintenance has been performed on the unit.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:33 AM

471 posts, read 404,171 times
I have tried draining my water heater, but little sediment comes out. It still gives lots of hot water, but it rattles like hell whenever it is used.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I still think whole house tank-less water heaters is a waste of money if you have more than 2 bathrooms with showers. It is nice to have a small tankless system for upstairs washrooms but it is too expensive to get a tankless and not much savings given that the lifespan of tankless system is only 25% more than water tanks yet they cost about 3-4x, difficult to recuperate. The only plus side is that you can have near unlimited hot water if you like to take long hot showers.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Thumbs down Whole-house tankless electric is never a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I still think whole house tank-less water heaters is a waste of money if you have more than 2 bathrooms with showers. It is nice to have a small tankless system for upstairs washrooms but it is too expensive to get a tankless and not much savings given that the lifespan of tankless system is only 25% more than water tanks yet they cost about 3-4x, difficult to recuperate. The only plus side is that you can have near unlimited hot water if you like to take long hot showers.
If you're talking about tankless electric, then I agree with you 100% -- they only make sense as Point of Use (POU) heaters.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My house was built with a tankless water heater. If it ever needs replacing, I'm sticking with tankless. I like that I don't have a big tank and its 18 inch stand taking up valuable garage space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House