Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I bought area rugs for my apartment that were really affordable but are really decent quality and don't look cheap. I got one 8 x 10 for the bedroom and two 4 x 6 rugs that are actually used as runners for a wide, long space between the kitchen and the balcony. Needed to protect the beige carpet and well, cover it also because it's beige LOL.

Anyway, the brand is Safavieh. I got the 4 x 6 "runners" from Walmart and the 8 x 10 through Overstock, chasing the best prices, but same brand. Highly recommend the brand, and you just can't beat the prices. The 8 x 10 was only around $200 including tax and the 4 x 6 rugs were around $60 each plus tax and I got free shipping from both.

Since I can't paint my off-white walls, I wanted rugs with some color that would also hide dirt - both my dog and I are messy between my hobbies and going in and out, as well as gardening on the balcony. Went for oriental/bohemian colors/patterns and am thrilled with what I got for the money.

By the way, the trick to getting the best deal on Overstock, is to wait to sign up for their email offer until you know what you want and/or put the item in your cart, then wait for them to send you an email for a discount for what's in your cart. I ended up with around a 12% discount, I think.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...t=&searchidx=3

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safavieh-...y-Red/48595937
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 09:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We haven't bought much of anything recently except for an Instant Pot and a replacement Cuisinart drip coffee maker. Like GC, I do love my IP. I am still experimenting with it but what I've cooked so far has been good.

I had an old 12 C Cuisinart coffee maker that was getting old. It was performing but I thought it was a little slow. We replaced it with a 14 C Cuisinart so that when I have guests, I only have to make one pot of coffee. It doesn't make that much difference really, but I got tired of making a second pot and then throwing most of it out. Mostly I just make 7 cups. But if I need to, I can make 14.

We are thinking about some purchases, but haven't made them yet.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:32 AM

401 posts, read 331,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
YES me too!
OOOOH now I get it! I saw this at the top of the thread and - maybe it's just me showing my age so sorry - but a guy named Chong loving his "instant pot" gave me the wrong picture in my mind. But yeah, I heard those little cookers are great, too.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Several years ago we bought a free standing fire pit just to see if we'd really use one before we decided to build a permanent one in our backyard. We used the heck out of that free standing one and ended up building a very nice fire pit/patio area the next year.

We sit out there at least 9 months out of the year and we use that fire pit from about October through April or so. At least six months out of the year we can and do build a fire out there, and then sit around on the back patio talking, listening to music, poking at the fire, drinking a glass or two of vino, etc. It's great.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:17 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
i just bought shelving and a wall rack for the garage. Hanging up brooms, buckets etc makes it so much easier to get to them when needed. The shelving organizes tools, coolers and gardening equipment. There's now so much extra room in the garage.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:00 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I hemorrhaged huge piles of cash remodeling my house from 2010 to 2013. In the last 4 years, I haven't done much. Any bulb that burns out gets replaced with LED. The only system in the house I didn't replace was the gas water heater and that died. The only thing left I worry about is the mascerating pump in the sewer holding tank that pumps my effluent up to the street. My to-do list for this summer is to have the local insulation company rip out the Owens Corning pink in the crawl space and spray closed cell foam. A gas fireplace insert is also on my wish list. The garage needs attention.

Of the things I did remodeling that weren't expensive, I highly recommend the 3M water filter I put under the kitchen sink that feeds my fridge. I have water that tastes great and don't buy bottled water.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I bought area rugs for my apartment that were really affordable but are really decent quality and don't look cheap. I got one 8 x 10 for the bedroom and two 4 x 6 rugs that are actually used as runners for a wide, long space between the kitchen and the balcony. Needed to protect the beige carpet and well, cover it also because it's beige LOL.

Anyway, the brand is Safavieh. I got the 4 x 6 "runners" from Walmart and the 8 x 10 through Overstock, chasing the best prices, but same brand. Highly recommend the brand, and you just can't beat the prices. The 8 x 10 was only around $200 including tax and the 4 x 6 rugs were around $60 each plus tax and I got free shipping from both.

Since I can't paint my off-white walls, I wanted rugs with some color that would also hide dirt - both my dog and I are messy between my hobbies and going in and out, as well as gardening on the balcony. Went for oriental/bohemian colors/patterns and am thrilled with what I got for the money.

By the way, the trick to getting the best deal on Overstock, is to wait to sign up for their email offer until you know what you want and/or put the item in your cart, then wait for them to send you an email for a discount for what's in your cart. I ended up with around a 12% discount, I think.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...t=&searchidx=3

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safavieh-...y-Red/48595937
Nice! That was really smart to protect your light carpets. Wish I had done that.

I just put a $20.00 Home Depot 5x7 in the kitchen because I was sick and tired of dripping water on my tile then having it turn into a big smudge, or staining my white grout when I stepped on a blueberry or whatnot!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I hemorrhaged huge piles of cash remodeling my house from 2010 to 2013. In the last 4 years, I haven't done much. Any bulb that burns out gets replaced with LED. The only system in the house I didn't replace was the gas water heater and that died. The only thing left I worry about is the mascerating pump in the sewer holding tank that pumps my effluent up to the street. My to-do list for this summer is to have the local insulation company rip out the Owens Corning pink in the crawl space and spray closed cell foam. A gas fireplace insert is also on my wish list. The garage needs attention.

Of the things I did remodeling that weren't expensive, I highly recommend the 3M water filter I put under the kitchen sink that feeds my fridge. I have water that tastes great and don't buy bottled water.
Yeah, although I love my Big Berkey countertop, it would probably have been the same money to do an under sink version. I had one attached to my incoming water line in my condo but it was stuck and I couldn't replace the filter. Probably actually could have also paid a plumber to just cut out the pipe and replace it. Which I guess I'll do eventually. I just had my hot water heater replaced in the same utility closet and didn't even THINK to have him do that while working in there.

https://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.co...r-filters.html

Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Tankless water heater. The shower can run 24/7 and never run out of hot water.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Replacing carpet with vinyl. I don't think I'll ever get carpet again.

10 year smoke detectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House