Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 17,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not very glamorous, but capacitors for the AC and the furnace. We found out the hard way, for $250., how easy it is to pop them in and out if they fail. They cost about $17. on Amazon.
Second that - happened to us many years ago (thought it "only" cost us a little under $100 )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 01:45 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,510,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I replaced two of my toilets with these:

Schon 1-piece 1.28 GPF Dual Flush Elongated Toilet in Biscuit (Store SKU #1001300192) from Home Depot

Had them for nearly a month - they look very sleek and have no flushing issues even though it is surprisingly quiet and doesn't seem all that forceful. Don't know yet how much water it's actually saving me but I really wanted them because of the look and ease of cleaning. Couldn't go with Toto or some of the other brands for the same features because those were twice the price and I was not willing to do that for just the name.
Nice! speaking of toilets, I was walking through HD last spring and my man ego wouldn't let me leave without this new bad boy. Not because I really needed a new one, but because of the bragging rights of having a toilet that has an "engine" in it. Totally worth it too!!

My wife was not amused, until she realized the 10 year old was no longer clogging up her powder room throne. Man-wisdom, for the win.
Attached Thumbnails
What Have You Recently Bought For Your House That You Would Recommend??-789564.jpg  

Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 4,571,860 times
I bought Samsung bundle of Washer and Dryer from Sears. Came out $1491 including installation accessories and tax (delivery and install are priced in). They came the next day and installed and tested it. Both Front Loading (stackable), hence the price.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:57 PM

In the pipeline:

- New alternator and battery for the Vette which goes to the house garage ($1,170 total)
- Window treatments 8 custom: 6 stock ($1,675 total)
- Refrigerator counter depth (?)

Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The thread is What would you recommend? Not what you bought
If you read, it is "What Have You Recently Bought For Your House That You Would Recommend??"

The title is flawed because you can only smartly recommend something you bought AFTER some time of using it, say at least 1 year, at the minimum, and past 5 years for same (durability test).

So I and most other people can only truthfully answer the first part : What Have You Recently Bought.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,510,640 times
I recommend items after a month or so. You either like them by then or you don't.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 622,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I have a Nest now, but when I bought my house in TN, I was still living in GA and did not have Internet at the new house. So, when the HVAC crapped out last January, I had no idea until I came up here and found the temperature in the house was 40 degrees. Fortunately, I had no pipes burst, but the Nest is a great tool to monitor the temp in your house when you travel so you can take action to prevent possible disasters.
that is your fault for not programming your nest to have a minimum value safety threshold. I have a nest, and I do not touch it. everything is automatic, I just switch over from winter to summer twice a year. it has minimum and high temp settings. I think you are doing it really wrong if you bought a smart thermostat... to constantly keep an eye on / change manually? seems to defeat the purpose of automation.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I have a Nest now, but when I bought my house in TN, I was still living in GA and did not have Internet at the new house. So, when the HVAC crapped out last January, I had no idea until I came up here and found the temperature in the house was 40 degrees. Fortunately, I had no pipes burst, but the Nest is a great tool to monitor the temp in your house when you travel so you can take action to prevent possible disasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
that is your fault for not programming your nest to have a minimum value safety threshold. I have a nest, and I do not touch it. everything is automatic, I just switch over from winter to summer twice a year. it has minimum and high temp settings. I think you are doing it really wrong if you bought a smart thermostat... to constantly keep an eye on / change manually? seems to defeat the purpose of automation.
You need to reread the post you quoted.

You missed that the house in question did not have Internet or a Nest. They have one now. Did not then.

Pretty tough to program an item you don't have.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,345,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I bought Samsung bundle of Washer and Dryer from Sears. Came out $1491 including installation accessories and tax (delivery and install are priced in). They came the next day and installed and tested it. Both Front Loading (stackable), hence the price.
Steep price. I hope to pay half that whenever I replace mine.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House