Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 AM

574 posts, read 378,542 times

Advertisements

My parents home is tiled and hardwood with oriental rugs........ no carpets! tile though, I wouldn't take it for very long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,517,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, when I lived in Mexico. Just remember that grout is a PITA to clean. People think tile is easier to clean - but forget about cleaning the grout.

But - you need to deal with the grout. Which is a pain.

I have a good friend with an expensive place in the SF Bay Area, and she's had problems trying to find help to clean her house. She bought a roomba to clean the floors, but it couldn't deal with her tile floors with grout.

So, even though it's beautiful and cool and doesn't hold onto pet hair, etc., - you will need to figure out who and/or how you are going to deal with cleaning it and the grout around it. And therein lies the major challenge.

You apply a sealer over the grout when the tile is installed. We have had absolutely no issues with our sealed grout.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,517,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Tiles everywhere would make me think that this house flood often...

Not in Arizona. All tile is quite common.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,147,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We have a winter home in Arizona and we went all tile. After 3.5 years we still love it. Cleanups are a breeze. I really think flooring really depends on geographical location. Tile is great in Arizona, but our Alaska house has mostly laminate. Entryway, laundry room and bathrooms are LVT and two bedrooms are carpet. All tile would not be a good choice in Alaska.
Our family in Puerto Rico have all tile. It is quite nice, but can be slippery if you ain't careful.
Our home in Alaska has tile in the kitchen/dining room area. It is also our main entryway. It was great until winter came along. We have multiple towels down so that we can get our boots on and off with the grippers. We are renting, and the lack of an arctic entryway sucks.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,201,085 times
It is not uncommon in New Mexico in traditional and traditional style homes. Hardwood is still more common nonetheless.

The solution to cold temps is to use throw rugs. Roll them up in summer, lay them out room to room in winter.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,360,893 times
In warmer weather locales, all time homes are not uncommon at all. You can have wood-look tile and get the best of both worlds. After dealing with dog and kid damage to my Brazilian Cherry floors, I'd love to switch to tile but don't want to spend the money.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,216,098 times
In-floor heat can also be installed when the tile goes in. Not that hard to do entire bathrooms.

Are people's feet really that cold?! I consider myself really cold blooded but I don't even notice when I'm cooking, for example or even when getting up in the middle of the night for a trip to the bathroom. Those of you who are so cold, do you really HAVE tile or are just repeating what you think it would feel like?

Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,832,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Not in Arizona. All tile is quite common.
I don't know about that.

I looked for no-carpet floors in homes for sale and found only one in our desired geographical area (Scottsdale). This is in houses over $1 million, though. I think all-tile looks...well, downmarket.

The house I expect we will buy has some sort of laminate in the master, tile in most of the rest of the house and carpet in the bedrooms. The first thing I will do is replace the carpet with hardwood or engineered hardwood. I need that "give" for my aching knees.

The tile will be covered with washable area rugs. We have one elderly cat and I'm allergic to her.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,699,662 times
A relative had a home once with a huge kitchen/breakfast/den area, all tiled. It echoed like a cave.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,216,098 times
In-floor heat can also be installed when the tile goes in. Not that hard to do entire bathrooms.

Are people's feet really that cold?! I consider myself really cold blooded but I don't even notice when I'm cooking, for example or even when getting up in the middle of the night for a trip to the bathroom. Those of you who are so cold, do you really HAVE tile or are just repeating what you think it would feel like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House