Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 02:15 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times

Advertisements

Two story houses feel chopped up to me. A single story feels bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:29 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I like the two-stories houses much better.

They have curb-appeal and look grander. The house is more energy efficient. There is separate living and sleeping space. I would hate to sleep in my master right next to the noisy living room or smelly kitchen.

Am I the odd one here?
You'll understand after your first fall down the stairs. Or you can't go to your bedroom with that cast for your broken leg.

It's just more practical. But in certain areas, like big cities, they just don't have the space for one story homes. It takes more land AND it costs more to build a one-story psf. It costs more to cool and heat a 2-story, though. You may need two separate units. Because hot air rises, the 2nd story is often hot, esp in hot climates.

But I agree...I think they're much more attractive.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:48 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But even a younger person can get sick and tired of schlepping stuff up and down the stairs. I sure did.

I've lived in both, and 1-story is better.
This. Exactly this, for me. Growing up, we lived in either two-stories, split-levels, or homes with finished basements. I've carried more laundry up and down stairs than I ever wanted to. Not to mention that we moved a lot, and packing boxes and furniture up and down stairs with every move got old fast. I may, at some point, live in a two-story again (wife loves them), but unless everything else about the house is absolutely perfect, it won't be my choice.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:52 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This. Exactly this, for me. Growing up, we lived in either two-stories, split-levels, or homes with finished basements. I've carried more laundry up and down stairs than I ever wanted to. Not to mention that we moved a lot, and packing boxes and furniture up and down stairs with every move got old fast. I may, at some point, live in a two-story again (wife loves them), but unless everything else about the house is absolutely perfect, it won't be my choice.
So why does your wife love them?

Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
I agree that in a lot of cases a two-story can look grander. Also, in case where there are nice views to be taken advantage of, having two floors is ideal (especially in the lad of block walls like most of the southwest and SoCal). Other than that I've very much learned to appreciate single story homes. In a lot of cases you get higher ceilings, which makes them feel bigger for an equivalent square footage. Also, you don't have to worry about hearing kids or guests upstairs when you are doing things downstairs. Depending on the floorplan, the bedrooms are often further away from main living areas, kitchen, or garage. Obviously there is the advantage for the elderly of no stairs and easier maintenance (think about cleaning gutters on a two story house when you're 75). In some places you get a significant premium for one-story versus two-story of same square footage, like Phoenix here I live.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM

25 posts, read 21,268 times
I had a two-story townhome with basement. I hated the two stories down to the basement to do laundry. It was also colder in my bedroom since the garage was right below it. Single story and ranch homes sell easier. Younger and older people seem to prefer them. But I would never want a single story without a basement and I would want one big enough so the rooms are not all very close together and some hallway room.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:11 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
There are pros and cons to each and of course throw in people's preferences. I grew up two story and split level houses. All had basements so I have used many stairs. Those houses were very boxy to me and as I prefer open floor plans the two stories just didn't offer that at the time. I flet like I walked from one closed off box to another. I hate that.

I also really really hated dragging my mother's Electrolux vacuum up and down those stairs. I called that monster R2D2 because it looked like him.

Now I prefer one story houses. I have spent a lot of time living in houses on the water and to me there is nothing worse than living in a two story house when you are on the water. There is a disconnect between living life on the water when it is like that as most of those have the main living area on the top floor.

It also seems to me that a 2 story house would be less energy efficient as all of the heat especially in the winter would go upstairs and you would need two thermostats. As for maintenance well the two story would have a smaller roof but you would have to hire someone to work on it.

I do agree some of the two stories can look grand but some of the newer one stories can look pretty magnificent also.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
We have a 2 story but our current and last house both have a guest bedroom with a full bath downstairs. We did this not only for our disabled mothers but also because we wanted to be realistic about the future. My neighbor had knee surgery and had to stay at a relative's house since all her bedrooms and showers were upstairs.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I have lived in 1 story houses, 2 story houses, 3 story houses, 1 story apartments (both on the first floor or on upper floors), townhouse apartment, etc. etc. My preference? 2 or 3 story.

In my last house, even though it was a 2 story house, our bedroom was on the first floor-right off of the kitchen. (Smells? ) What I hated about it was having to cart the laundry down to the basement-yeah, it was only one flight but still... Here, our bedroom is on the second floor. The thought of carting laundry down TWO flights of stairs didn't appeal to me-so we put the laundry upstairs. I only have to bring a few items-mainly towels, up & down stairs.

Even though it is a 2 story house-we have many floors. We have the basement, first floor, second floor, attic, & cupola. The stairs to the attic & cupola are narrow and VERY steep! I only go up there when it is necessary.

Oh, and my husband & I are not exactly young chickens. But, if there comes a time when we can't climb the stairs-we do have rooms on the first floor that could be turned into bedrooms.

Cat

Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiekailey View Post
I agree with most people here - the appeal of a 1-story house would be mostly for elderly people, or people with elderly family living with them or elderly pets, as stairs are hard or near impossible. In that case, you want to spend time with each other and that way, everything is right there for everyone to enjoy. This also may be for any age of people who have a motor disability.
I beg to differ - there are many parts of the country where land is cheap and they see no "need" for a two story house. It has nothing to do with being elderly as many people raise their families in one-story houses. The advantage is that you can stay in them through your older years. Even "young" people have accidents, break their legs, etc. that make stairs very difficult, if not impossible..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House