Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 05:51 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,934,877 times

Advertisements

Drywall is 6 bucks a sheet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 06:58 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,006,391 times
You could try this stuff-

Products That Kill Mold,Mold Cleaner,Mold Fogger,Mold Bomb

Old 01-26-2018, 07:14 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,347,650 times
Concrobium makes several products for dealing with mold. One is to kill the stuff dead, another to clean off all the black spots. After that I suggest you repaint with KILZ before putting on a finish paint color.

It's what worked for me.

There are several You Tube videos about these products.

Best of luck in ending your problem with this nasty yuck.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 AM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Instead of trying every concoction under the moon to "kill mold", I have a better solution...

Eliminate the reasons you have mold in the first place! If there has to be a dissertation on what those are- research! You know "your house" better than anyone here @C-D.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:11 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,347,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Instead of trying every concoction under the moon to "kill mold", I have a better solution...

Eliminate the reasons you have mold in the first place! If there has to be a dissertation on what those are- research! You know "your house" better than anyone here @C-D.
You are so right of course. I assumed that the OP had figured that out and dealt with it.

In my case it was a slow leaking water heater in a small laundry room with no ventilation. It was just pure bad luck that I had really played catch up on the laundry and closed the door - something that I almost never did. So when it was time to wash some stuff I opened the door to a tiny room that had water dripping from the ceiling and everything in the room was soaking wet. Once I removed everything from the room, including the heater I was then able to tackle the process of killing the mold and cleaning up, figuring out what color to paint and then getting a new heater installed.

In my last house the heater had been installed in 1953 and was still going strong when I sold in 2006. They don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM

159 posts, read 285,702 times
Hydrogen Peroxide. Spritz with a spray bottle then wipe with a sponge.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:32 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,343,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Chlorox bleach did nothing. Vinegar hasn't slowed it down. We tried a couple sprays from the hardware store, I forget the name at the moment.

So far cleaning it with straight bleach and then painting it with a paint that has mildewcide added to it seems to work the best. That only works on painted surfaces, though.

We do, however, live in a sub-tropical humid climate, so it may be a bit worse than some other areas.

This is an ongoing issue with us too, especially on grout in continuously humid areas such as at the shower or sink. And we also live in a continuously humid region - winter or summer.

I've also had no permanent luck with any type of application - including bleach. I do think that you need a multi-pronged attack of a treatment that kills the mold, then one to inhibit its return (I use Home Armour), and third, to minimize the conditions for its growth (dehumidifier).

Good luck, and please post any success. I'm off to the local home store to try to find the next solution.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 AM

23,521 posts, read 69,925,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

ROTFL! Telling someone in Florida to eliminate the causes of mold is like telling someone in a desert to just go to their local lake. The causes can get reduced in Florida, but not eliminated, any more than the occasional palmetto bug.

Professional greenhouses have to resort to some strong chemicals to eliminate pests. Physan 20 (or whatever it is called these days) is a good quat for the job. For young people or people with any lung issues, newer research is finding that people who work around cleaning chemicals regularly (think janitorial) have higher incidences of various lung diseases. Breathing in fumes from ANY cleaner on a regular basis is not good.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM

19,587 posts, read 20,416,974 times
Ive always used vinegar with great results.
You do have to clean it though. It doesnt make the mold magically disappear.
It does kill it.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:56 AM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
ROTFL! Telling someone in Florida to eliminate the causes of mold is like telling someone in a desert to just go to their local lake. The causes can get reduced in Florida, but not eliminated...

I guess here we'll have to disagree-
If mold needs basically three things to grow, all one has to do is eliminate at least one. Your examples- FL; you can't eliminate all the moisture but you can certainly reduce/eliminate the manageable food source (dirt, dust). A "desert" may not have "moisture" per se; but let's assume a house in a desert climate with leaky plumbing- fix the leak and you've eliminated one of the sources.

The greenhouse thing was really a poor example- eliminating one of the sources basically eliminates a profitable greenhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House