Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:27 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was looking at some listings and saw that maybe 10-15 years ago, some houses were being built with no door between the master bedroom and the master bath.

I can't imagine who thought that was a good idea!

If nothing else, how do you block the light coming in of you want to sleep in a little later? In a bedroom, you can at least put up heavier curtains, but that don't really work very well in a window that is over a bathtub.

Fortunately, it seems like a trend whose time has come and gone.
Haha, this is exactly what we have and our house is 10 years old. When we moved to CO 3 years ago, I thought it was a regional thing because houses weren't being built that way back east. We were incredulous that this was being done! The toilet closet is off the one side and the shower and tub are on the other, so the only thing you see when you look in the bathroom is the towel rack wall in the back, but still...

We assumed that we would have a door built, but so far we've just hung a curtain on a rod in the doorway, which is what some of our neighbors have done. It gives privacy but since it's an archway, light will still come into the bedroom from the top.

Silly silly idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:43 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
My custom master suite addition I built in 2007 is that way. It's not a straight shot from the bedroom into the bathroom, you have to go around the corner, but it's light, airy, and works very well. You can see the entrance to the bathroom here on the right:

And you walk around that wall to enter (here is the frosted glass that you can see in the first picture):

behind me to the left here is the double vanity.

You can't actually see into the bathroom from the bedroom and if it's dark in the bedroom, barely any light comes around to the bed area (at least it's never been enough to bother me) because the lights aren't located where they shine into the bedroom. I don't have room darkening shades on the windows, either:

I've attached a rendering of what the layout looks like from above so you can see the floorplan (it was from before I built it, so I could see what some of the finishes would look like). I've had it like this now for 10 years and I love it, and everyone that comes in and sees it loves it, too.

No, there are no smells from the bathroom into the bedroom, sound doesn't travel around the corners well, but it's easy to get into and feels luxurious.

This was the old master en-suite on the old master bedroom. Small, cramped, and the door was never shut because the thing just felt too tiny and closed in:

Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
It's pretty common with older homes here to have the sink and mirror without a door but the toilet and tub had one. It's supposed to be a dressing area.

Our 1989 home has a jack and jill bath, with each bedroom having it's own dressing area (sink and vanity outside, closet) with no door. The toilet and tub in the middle has doors, though. I find the layout pretty cool.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:09 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Yes, the sharpest minds in architecture have convinced those with the most dosh in luxe and contemporary abodes to do away with bathroom doors in the master bedroom with its accompanying ensuite. The grand designers of bathrooms should also front the court of WTF? - beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but what says the nose?
Thinking back to a time at the start of a relationship when you would rather die than expel foul air in their presence, when did it become "a thing" to openly use the bathroom in each other's company?

IMHO the bathroom, with an actual functioning door, is the last bastion of privacy!

Old 01-31-2018, 02:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, the sharpest minds in architecture have convinced those with the most dosh in luxe and contemporary abodes to do away with bathroom doors in the master bedroom with its accompanying ensuite. The grand designers of bathrooms should also front the court of WTF? - beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but what says the nose?
Thinking back to a time at the start of a relationship when you would rather die than expel foul air in their presence, when did it become "a thing" to openly use the bathroom in each other's company?

IMHO the bathroom, with an actual functioning door, is the last bastion of privacy!
they do typical have a toilet room with a door, but still. Who wants to shower, shave your legs, etc., tweeze your eyebrows and whatever with an audience?

Plus the whole not disturbing a sleeping partner and not being able to block light unless you want to put light blocking drapes or blinds in a bathroom where IMO they do not belong.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,506,631 times
My master doesn't have a door to the bathroom either so I'm having one put in. One of the most annoying things is light coming in from the window in the shower. I suppose blackout curtains would be cheaper....

Old 01-31-2018, 03:30 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
they do typical have a toilet room with a door, but still. Who wants to shower, shave your legs, etc., tweeze your eyebrows and whatever with an audience?

Plus the whole not disturbing a sleeping partner and not being able to block light unless you want to put light blocking drapes or blinds in a bathroom where IMO they do not belong.

Don't use the bathroom at the same time if you don't want an audience.

And I've never, in a decade, had a problem with the latter of what you are talking about. But, neither I nor my wife need it pitch black to sleep. In fact, I've never understood people that need blackout curtains or blackout blinds to sleep. And if my wife is watching TV in bed, as she sometimes does, it puts me right to sleep.

Quote:
Thinking back to a time at the start of a relationship when you would rather die than expel foul air in their presence,
Never was an issue, even when dating. But we're not 70 and prudes, either. And the shower is big enough for two.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:56 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I had some friends that rented an old house in Boston about 20 years ago that had a bathroom with no door....in the kitchen
Yikes!

Old 01-31-2018, 04:04 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Old apartments used to have tubs in the kitchen, because that's where you had to heat up the water to fill the tub. Can't say I've ever seen a toilet right in the kitchen itself, although I have seen them right off the kitchen, which isn't too great anyway.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,209 times
My house is like that. While the toilet has its own room, the shower, bathtub and the sinks are all open. I can watch my gf shower or use my bathtub right from my bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House