Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,516,201 times

Advertisements

It's a stupid trend that I first noticed when looking for a new house in 2005. The home we did end up buying was brand new and had that open concept, but part of our offer was that a door be installed, and it was. When we bought a retirement house in Arizona in 2014, we had the same issue. This house was also built in 2005 and the original owners never installed a door. But we did, after we bought it. Our primary residence in Alaska was built in 2015 and it has a door. We didn't even have to ask for it to be installed! So maybe this trend is now passe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:30 PM

3,234 posts, read 2,305,323 times
[quote=NorthofHere;50878661]This is what my husband did. The before was that the arch opening was nothing there, there was a header going across where the top of the door now and the wall beside the door where it juts in wasn't there. He framed it out for a new door which we had custom made and purchased a glass piece from a local glass shop and had a local artist carve a design into it. Despite the door being glass with the lights on in the dark it doesn't really shine into the bedroom.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...zmeYakvtezmrAz[/QUOTE

Your door is beautiful. I'm like the rest of you, I want a door on my bathroom!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:33 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,240,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Our Las Vegas house has a separate toilet area with door, but vanities, bathtub and shower are all in an area without a door (but a doorway) to the bedroom. I want a door. I just like to take a solitary soak in the bathtub without air flowing between bedroom and bathroom. I also like the closed in personal feeling of being alone when I take a bath. I can shut the bedroom door but still its not the same sense of serenity.

Unfortunately, we cannot agree on a way to create a door — since the opening between bedroom and bathroom is a floor to ceiling opening. We are looking into “barn door” type moving panel but haven’t made a firm plan.

I wish there was a normal door there.
Yep, this is our master bed & bath too. I'm more likely to wake up before my husband so I either get dressed in the toilet, then use a small nightlight to do my teeth brushing outside or I go get ready in the guest bathroom. We both usually do the guest bathroom, but it's annoying to have to move your toothbrush and everything the night before, not to mention if you forget an item of clothing you have to keep going back into the master bedroom. I don't know, seems the architects who designed our home made a couple of other poor choices too. Wish they would have let us change them when we saw them coming, but they said we couldn't make any changes.

I'd like to do a pocket door but I think the electrical in the wall will rule that out. We're looking into the barn door idea too.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,231,507 times
This is getting a bit carried away. Our master bedroom and bath run the width of the house...about 35 feet or so. 2/3 is the bedroom and 1/3 is the bath and walk in closet. The bathroom is placed so that light is blocked from the bedroom pretty completely. The shower and the commode are separate small rooms. The commode room is virtually never closed. Actually for fifteen years it was shared with a cat litter box...so closing it was possible but inconvenient. The garden tub is placed into a corner of the house and had to very large plate glass windows to the outside. However that area is enclosed in a private 6 foot wall with a large tree and its own plants. So basically the tub/bathroom has a private garden. If there are guests or workers around the large windows have blinds that can be drawn. Virtually no light escapes from the bathroom to the sleeping portion of the bedroom. In fact the only annoyance is that the walk in closet has good lighting and it can be seen from the bed.
The opening to the bathroom is full height on a relatively tall ceiling and is 6 or 7 feet wide. So no we are not going to wall it off. Works perfectly well and we do go on different schedules sometimes. No real interaction on sleeping unless one of us leaves the closet light on and the door open. Then you get hollered at an pillows thrown.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:53 PM

2,168 posts, read 1,423,732 times
It was a trend here in some hotels and properties in Queensland a few years ago. I remember asking someone what was supposed to happen when one person had to get up in the dark to go to work.

I think it is a trend that has come and gone here too.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,774,979 times
This open floor plan crap has gone to far, when one can't have a solitary crap with only the company of ones thoughts. Time to rebel...time to build a house where the rooms aren't even attatched.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:53 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,126,336 times
This trend needs to go! I have seen some homes with the master bedroom connected to a bathroom with no door just a little corner turn. I think it is AWFUL, not only terrible for obvious reasons, but think of the humidity, I would think it would cause mold to grow quickly. If you have the bathroom closed off and the ventilator on, it is such a controlled environment and would prevent mold from taking over, otherwise, the moisture comes through to the bedroom and walls may sweat, which is really promoting mold growth. Also, the lack of privacy!

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 AM

550 posts, read 634,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Our Las Vegas house has a separate toilet area with door, but vanities, bathtub and shower are all in an area without a door (but a doorway) to the bedroom. I want a door. I just like to take a solitary soak in the bathtub without air flowing between bedroom and bathroom. I also like the closed in personal feeling of being alone when I take a bath. I can shut the bedroom door but still its not the same sense of serenity.

Unfortunately, we cannot agree on a way to create a door — since the opening between bedroom and bathroom is a floor to ceiling opening. We are looking into “barn door” type moving panel but haven’t made a firm plan.

I wish there was a normal door there.

I live in Henderson, so I know what you mean. We have a normal size opening (not oversized and no archway) and put up a wood folding door. Problem solved. If you have a very wide opening you could install 2. Painted out or stained it could be a quick and inexpensive diy that would only take an hour or 2 to put up.

I'd post a pic but in all the years I've been on this site, I've never figured out how to do it.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:13 AM

10,830 posts, read 7,215,351 times
I don't like glass in bathroom or bedroom doors, either; I don't want light getting in when I'm trying to sleep, and glass is a poor noise insulator as well.

I looked at a house for sale where the rooms weren't attached; the bedroom was one building, the bathroom another, the living area a third, all connected by muddy, unroofed, outdoor pathways. I assume they were trying to get around a rule that buildings over a certain size require permits. By making each a separate building, they didn't need permits. I didn't purchase that property. Though at least your partner in the bathroom wouldn't wake you in bed.

A Victorian flat I rented in San Francisco had the toilet in one tiny room off the hallway, the sink and bathtub next door, and a HUGE shower added later, tiled in vermilion, with 2 shower heads and porcelain hands supporting lights and soap and towels. Best shower ever!

Old 02-01-2018, 11:54 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,052,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
This trend needs to go! I have seen some homes with the master bedroom connected to a bathroom with no door just a little corner turn. I think it is AWFUL, not only terrible for obvious reasons, but think of the humidity, I would think it would cause mold to grow quickly.

Mine's been as shown for a decade and there's no mold whatsoever or ANY OF THE OTHER PROBLEMS YOU PEOPLE ***** ABOUT! Some of you really have little to no clue and are mighty insulting.

In fact, this thread is about as insulting as I've seen on the House forum. A bunch of people insulting others for preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House