Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
This is what my husband did. The before was that the arch opening was nothing there, there was a header going across where the top of the door now and the wall beside the door where it juts in wasn't there. He framed it out for a new door which we had custom made and purchased a glass piece from a local glass shop and had a local artist carve a design into it. Despite the door being glass with the lights on in the dark it doesn't really shine into the bedroom.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...zmeYakvtezmrAz
I do like that! Very well done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:30 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Our Las Vegas house has a separate toilet area with door, but vanities, bathtub and shower are all in an area without a door (but a doorway) to the bedroom. I want a door. I just like to take a solitary soak in the bathtub without air flowing between bedroom and bathroom. I also like the closed in personal feeling of being alone when I take a bath. I can shut the bedroom door but still its not the same sense of serenity.

Unfortunately, we cannot agree on a way to create a door — since the opening between bedroom and bathroom is a floor to ceiling opening. We are looking into “barn door” type moving panel but haven’t made a firm plan.

I wish there was a normal door there.
What about a pocket door? Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was looking at some listings and saw that maybe 10-15 years ago, some houses were being built with no door between the master bedroom and the master bath.

I can't imagine who thought that was a good idea!

If nothing else, how do you block the light coming in of you want to sleep in a little later? In a bedroom, you can at least put up heavier curtains, but that don't really work very well in a window that is over a bathtub.

Fortunately, it seems like a trend whose time has come and gone.
Blinds, drapes, ....

Old 01-31-2018, 11:39 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Our Las Vegas house has a separate toilet area with door, but vanities, bathtub and shower are all in an area without a door (but a doorway) to the bedroom. I want a door. I just like to take a solitary soak in the bathtub without air flowing between bedroom and bathroom. I also like the closed in personal feeling of being alone when I take a bath. I can shut the bedroom door but still its not the same sense of serenity.

Unfortunately, we cannot agree on a way to create a door — since the opening between bedroom and bathroom is a floor to ceiling opening. We are looking into “barn door” type moving panel but haven’t made a firm plan.

I wish there was a normal door there.
Close the space but for a double door with glass inserts?
Sorry - should have read the rest.

Some of the bathrooms were just too small for doors. We had neighbors with an actual wheel chair accessible bathroom which allowed for no walls.

Close your eyes. Step out.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Blinds, drapes, ....
Some people have windows over a tub or even in a shower. Blinds and drapes don't work very well in those situations.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:55 AM

733 posts, read 759,497 times
Quote:
I was looking at some listings and saw that maybe 10-15 years ago, some houses were being built with no door between the master bedroom and the master bath.

I can't imagine who thought that was a good idea!

If nothing else, how do you block the light coming in of you want to sleep in a little later? In a bedroom, you can at least put up heavier curtains, but that don't really work very well in a window that is over a bathtub.

Fortunately, it seems like a trend whose time has come and gone.
I'm with you! Why indeed. We rented a home last year that was built in 2004 with that layout. Just doesn't work when one person gets up early or the other goes to bed late. Noise and light shining directly from the Master Bath to the bed. Ugh!

Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
I had some friends that rented an old house in Boston about 20 years ago that had a bathroom with no door....in the kitchen

Old 01-31-2018, 12:54 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Interesting decision to leave the arch in place. Is that still open?
No, it has a glass piece in there cut to size by a local glass place then etched by a local artist. All told the glass for the arch cost about $140 including etching.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
EEK! I don't want to know or see what she's doing in there.....I may want to stop at that restaurant later!!!

Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
A lot of hotels have that sink outside the bathroom layout. Presumably the idea is that one person can be using the sink to get ready while the other showers, but yes, it doesn't take into account that one person could be sleeping while the other one gets ready.
That was my previous house. Had sink and closet outside bathroom then bathroom door and small sink toilet and large tub-sized shower (no tub). We eventually remodeled the bathroom, took down the wall with the door and enclosed everything into a larger bathroom with the closet accessed inside the bathroom and installed a tub as consensus was people wanted a tub. We even moved the toilet and window over a little since both were too close to what would be the bath and hard to get behind to clean. We didn't have room for a separate shower and bathtub. It's nice having a handy husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House