Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:07 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've never seen a window without a screen except in England where they don't have mosquitoes.
You may have been in parts of England (urban areas) where there aren't many mosquitoes. In some areas, there are a lot. Anyway, mosquitoes aren't the only flying insects that screens keep out of the house. There are flies and bees almost everywhere. Wide open windows or doors are just inviting creatures to come in. My husband had a small bird fly into his office when the door was open for a while, and it wasn't that easy to get out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We have them here in CO though we could probably do without. Hardly any insects here. They were very necessary in my previous life in the mid-Atlantic area.
I’m in CO but I don’t open windows that don’t have screens primarily because of our annual miller moth invasion (which, incidentally, we didn’t have last year) & because my neighborhood, for the last several years has had a problem with wasps.

I already know I’m allergic to bees. I don’t know about wasps but I don’t want to find out the hard way!

Old 02-12-2018, 05:51 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
I grew up in, and still live in NE Ohio, and all windows have/had screens. I currently have those aluminum triple-track storm windows, as described in post #25. I open my windows in mid-May, and, unless it gets really hot, or we get a very strong thunderstorm, they stay open until about the middle of October.

When I was in Florence, Italy, (study abroad, spring semester) our apartment windows didn't have screens.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:13 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
OP you are correct, they never seem to open screens on TV. I have never lived anyplace where we didn't have screens (Florida, New York, North Carolina) but my brother-in-law lived in a NYC high-rise part time for work and he had no screens. I guess they figure bugs aren't going up that high, however I would be worried about my kid or pet falling out the window when it is open.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I have screens but will only use them in the back windows. I hate the look of screens on windows so, the front of the house has no screens and, I never open those windows, except to clean them. Back and sides of the house, yes, I keep the windows open with screens in as much as possible but, all screens come out in the winter. I really like the look of clean windows and, with screens in, they never look clean.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
OP you are correct, they never seem to open screens on TV. I have never lived anyplace where we didn't have screens (Florida, New York, North Carolina) but my brother-in-law lived in a NYC high-rise part time for work and he had no screens. I guess they figure bugs aren't going up that high, however I would be worried about my kid or pet falling out the window when it is open.
Some high rises don't have opening windows. Did his open? I don't know the NYC laws and policies on the pre-war buildings. Not sure when "screens" started as part of the window.

In FL, for example.

They don't want the screen crashing down to the ground on someone's head.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Something I always notice in movies and TV shows, when someone opens a window, there is no screen - they can jump right out, throw something, lean out, whatever.

Where I grew up (northeast US) we always had screens. But I asked about this on another forum a while ago and apparently not everyone has them.

So, do you have them, and what area are you in? Are there places where it is normal NOT to have them?
I don't think it's that they don't "have them". It's that they don't USE them.

On TV and movies it would interrupt the action.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Of course we have screens. This is Massachusetts and Connecticut. You couldn't have the windows open in summer if you didn't have screens. You'd get swarms of mosquitoes.

It's hot and muggy here in summer.

I lived at the beach for a few years and found that there are no mosquitoes at the beach! Also no mosquitoes when I lived on a lake! The breezes keep them away. But all the windows still had screens. I've never seen a window without a screen except in England where they don't have mosquitoes.
Especially at the beach with greenheads.

LOL people saying they live without screens but open their windows? I don't believe it. House flies, gnats, spiders, bees, raccoons, squirrels, birds, fox, BEARS??? LOL

The terrifying night I, too, was attacked by a fox in my home

Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And in most face on auto scenes in movies and TV shows there is no windshield.
Same reasons.
I agree that screens are often omitted from movies and TV, for artistic license. But, during car scenes, the viewer is not supposed to know there isn't a windshield. People aren't leaning out of, or throwing things through open windshield. Even the Dukes of Hazzard slid across the hood and windshield to climb through the door openings.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:42 AM

99,561 posts, read 4,491,552 times
No screens here in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House