Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times

Advertisements

Screens on the new windows we put in a couple of years ago. Strangest thing is there are bugs like small tiny things that try to crawl around the edges and clog up the tracks with debris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
"Hawaii has no screens because there are no mosquitoes."

You just sold me on Hawaii.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:01 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hawaii has no screens because there are no mosquitoes. Here in Raleigh I found that I only open a few specific windows throughout the year, so those have screens. The rest of the screens I removed and store in a shed because it makes the view out those windows cleaner and brighter.
Hawaii has CHOKE (lotsa) mosquitoes, and plenty window screens. In fact, some windows have no glass, just screen.

I didn't have screens in San Francisco, got all new ones made for my house in the East Bay, and have replaced a couple of my screens here in Hawaii--the cats bust 'em out chasing geckos.

Last edited by steiconi; 02-12-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Yes we have screens. The flies and mosquitoes are crazy here. So are these darn stink bugs. I just found one in the kitchen last week.

We were in Scotland in June a couple of years ago, and not a single window had screens. I was told that there was no need. You might get an occasional fly once in awhile. We stayed in a very old small hotel outside of Edinburgh. We had the window open and one fly came in, buzzed around, and flew back out. There were no mosquitoes either.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Something I always notice in movies and TV shows, when someone opens a window, there is no screen - they can jump right out, throw something, lean out, whatever.

Where I grew up (northeast US) we always had screens. But I asked about this on another forum a while ago and apparently not everyone has them.

So, do you have them, and what area are you in? Are there places where it is normal NOT to have them?
Nope. We don't open the windows, so no need for a screen (except in the kids rooms).

Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Hawaii has no screens because there are no mosquitoes."

You just sold me on Hawaii.

Hope you like huge cockroaches.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hawaii has no screens because there are no mosquitoes. Here in Raleigh I found that I only open a few specific windows throughout the year, so those have screens. The rest of the screens I removed and store in a shed because it makes the view out those windows cleaner and brighter.
I disagree with this. When my wife and I lived in Hawaii, a lot of homes and military barracks had screens but no glass for the windows. Our apartment that was located where the big shopping center is now at Waikiki Beach had no glass in any windows, only screens.

They might have no mosquitoes, but they sure have a lot of other bugs people do not want in their homes.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Older homes didn't have screens. Anyone remember having these?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wood-Fram...&wl13=&veh=sem

We've taken out the screens on our back windows only because we have a screened in pool and those windows (and sliding glass doors) are protected from the bugs from getting in.

We live in Florida now and screens are a must have.
This is what we use in our house. Screens are also a must in Michigan.

There were external storm window type screens as a "modern" upgrade from the 1940s, but most of them are gone or broken.

Some companies that make interior invisible storm windows, also make simlar screens. Someday we will get those, or I will make some. I hate AC and it is really not necessary in Michigan except for maybe two or three weeks of the summer. We use it more than that because we do not have enough screens.

However screens also substantially block airflow. The effectively cut the size of your window opening by half or more

Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Some high rises don't have opening windows. Did his open? I don't know the NYC laws and policies on the pre-war buildings. Not sure when "screens" started as part of the window.

In FL, for example.

They don't want the screen crashing down to the ground on someone's head.

Yes, the one window he had in his efficiency did open thankfully because we visited him in April and NYC was having an unusual warm spell and the heat in the building was still on. We were roasting and having the window open helped a tiny bit.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Something I always notice in movies and TV shows, when someone opens a window, there is no screen - they can jump right out, throw something, lean out, whatever.
That is for the filming. If there was a screen, it wouldn't look good on camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House