Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,954,182 times

Advertisements

Call the inspector first and give him a chance to come out and look, and maybe make it right if there was something he missed.

In our area, inspectors are usually limited in liability to the cost of the inspection... but I have personally seen an inspector pay for a repair on something he felt he missed.

If he told you it's a 15 year old roof, there may have been more said than you remember about the roof being near the end of its life. But call him and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,897,260 times
My flat roof story. It was over a porch. The roof had sides around it.

We had the thick plastic lining but a foot of snow sitting on it was not doing the roof any good. We had a couple staying with us awaiting the birth of their baby they were to adopt and the final decision of the waffling birth mom.

So, to relieve the stress and after being inside in the blizzard, the husband and wife and we all climbed carefully out a window over the flat porch roof with snow shovels. We had to be careful not to pierce the thick plastic.

When we were finally finished, the birth mom made her decision and the happy worn out couple rushed to the hospital.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,150,687 times
There are several types of flat roofs....some better than others. All are more susceptible to leakage that a traditional pitched roof. Depending on the type, 15 years may be the life expectancy. If so, that she have been stated to you during the inspection....and also in the report. In any event, the first step is to contact the inspector, explain the issue. He should be given the opportunity to observe and then rectify the issue if he missed it during the inspection. Also note that things can and do happen after purchasing the house that may not be the fault of the inspector but plain old bad luck.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:49 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Edit.... nevermind.... read previous page posts that answered.

If you haven't even made your first payment yet, and there were no problems with the roof, I'd be calling that inspector. There may be limits in what he's liable for, but I would tell him what is happening and see what he offers to do.

Then read your contract with him.

^^^ This ^^^

Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,074,327 times
[quote=Jdawg8181;51000218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Welcome to homeownership. Call a few roofers for estimates and get it fixed.

Was your roof inspected before you closed?[/quote]

It was and the guy said it was fine. I think the roof is 15 years old... how often do homes usually need roofs replaced?

Also, ours is a flat roof... are they more prone to leakage than standard slanted roofs?
So sorry for you problem with the roof! I hope you have some recourse.
When we looked at pre-existing homes, one of the criteria was if it was ten years old, it better have a new roof. I’m not saying that’s it’s impossible to extend a roof to 15, but ten is average. It’s one of the most expensive aspects of home maintenance and you need a budget for it.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times
I don't know where you live, that does make a difference. A flat roof in the desert is probably no big thing.

But if you live somewhere rainy or especially snowy I wouldn't even bother fixing a flat roof I'd get a roof over or something.
Where they put a new slanted roof over your existing roof.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:

It was and the guy said it was fine. I think the roof is 15 years old... how often do homes usually need roofs replaced?

Also, ours is a flat roof... are they more prone to leakage than standard slanted roofs?

Yes flat roofs come with more problems, especially if you're in an area that gets snow! Where are you located?

Call a roofer. He will be able to tell if the roof has existing damage. If that's the case you could go after the inspector for not catching the problem. Roofs can last anywhere from 20-30 years, but can be damaged due to wind, hail, etc.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 AM

5,840 posts, read 5,249,565 times
We have a similar problem-but it only the roof over our front porch. I believe the roof is only about 15 years old-metal. The roof is pretty flat. About a month ago, we noticed it raining ON the porch. Our handyman/roofer was kind enough to rake the snow off-he now has an on-going gig to do that for us. When the weather get nicer, he will really look at it to see what is going on. Last year, he did place something on it so when icicles come crashing down from the main roof, it won't puncture the metal. (You could see the dents in the roof from that happening over the years.) I'm not too sure if he can repair it or if the entire thing will have to be replaced. Since it is only over the porch, it is shouldn't be too expensive. I just hope the porch ceiling holds up until that happens.

We have 3 kinds of roofs: Slate for the majority of it, asphalt over the back rooms & metal over the porch & another tin over the kitchen in back. We just had the asphalt part repaired a couple of years ago.

Our roofer also need to replace a slate tile on the big portion of our roof-he put a piece of tin to carry us over through the winter until he can replace it.

Cat

Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,889,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We bought it a month ago and now the roof is leaking and the ceiling is collapsing!!!!
Is this why you don't want your husband going away on a three-week business trip?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 933,229 times
Quote:

Flat roofs are indeed more prone to leakage. I’m sorry! Fifteen years is getting long in the tooth on some types of roofing, but only halfway through the lifespan of others. It really depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House