Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 975 times

Advertisements

I'm building interior partition walls (non-load bearing...) and am having trouble interpreting the IRC. I'm using single-top plates, and I can't figure out if the top plates need to be connected with a steel plate when they come together in a corner and/or intersect. Is the steel plate to connect single top plate construction only needed when the walls are load bearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:51 PM

17,469 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Read R602.5- that should answer your question.

But I am curious; what subsection were you thinking you needed?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
You use the steel plate at any wall intersection using a single top plate regardless of load bearing or not. We were framing 10-15 houses a week for a national builder that used single top plates with stack framing. Interesting concept but the walls were sure shaky especially if a door slammed. Here's the code on the second page:
https://www.energycodes.gov/sites/de...top_plates.pdf

If you are subject to any city inspections, you might want to hand nail the steel plates using a 16 common nail. Our normal 3" nails that we run in the nail guns would not pass inspection here. The gauge of the nail was wrong and there were no nails for the guns that were heavy enough. We had to go to the 16 common nails and a palm nailer. They required a minimum of 5 nails in each of the adjoining plates.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:28 AM

Trapper-

Where in here...

"Interior, nonbearing walls may be two-inch by three-inch studs spaced 24 inches (610 mm) on center. Or, if not part of a braced wall line (a series of braced wall panels), two-inch by four-inch flat studs, 16 inches on center may be used. Interior, nonbearing walls must be capped with at least a single top plate, and be fire blocked."

...does it mention using a connecting plate? The OP clearly stated "non-load bearing wall".

Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 975 times
This is the confusion I am having as well... Section R602.3.2 Exception specifies that single top plates must be tied at corners, joints, and intersecting walls and it does not mention anything about load bearing or non-load bearing.

If a plate is required at the corners, how would one actually install this plate? One wall is directly underneath a joist, and the other wall abuts the joist.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:03 AM

I don't "read" the confusion. However, I will make this one point. Over the years and dealing with many different inspectors, and different AHJ's, it becomes pretty apparent that everyone's interpretation of the codes can have varying opinions. So...
When in doubt, do more than is expected. Or, as I would tell the younger guys coming into the Industry- don't question the inspector's "wants". Just do it, and move on down the road.

Most inspectors have this "I'm better than God" mentality- it's not worth the argument. Even when they're wrong, and "it's" in black and white. I've had two, maybe three instances where I had to have sit-downs with the Chief inspector to correct a "holier than thou" attitude out of one of their inspectors- but we were talking about things that would run into thousands of dollars! A connection plate is a few bucks!

Old 02-28-2018, 02:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don't "read" the confusion. However, I will make this one point. Over the years and dealing with many different inspectors, and different AHJ's, it becomes pretty apparent that everyone's interpretation of the codes can have varying opinions. So...
When in doubt, do more than is expected. Or, as I would tell the younger guys coming into the Industry- don't question the inspector's "wants". Just do it, and move on down the road.

Most inspectors have this "I'm better than God" mentality- it's not worth the argument. Even when they're wrong, and "it's" in black and white. I've had two, maybe three instances where I had to have sit-downs with the Chief inspector to correct a "holier than thou" attitude out of one of their inspectors- but we were talking about things that would run into thousands of dollars! A connection plate is a few bucks!
I made the mistake of questioning the inspector's wants. I had to go to the state to get him overruled. Hooray I won. Then nothing passed. Everything was a fight. I even caught him inventorying our fridge because he wanted t prove we were living in the house illegally.

The fight was over the use of ICYNENE foam which gets sprayed to the underside of your roof sheeting, not tot he top of your ceiling drywall. Foam insulation was addressed for walls, but nothing addressed attic insulation. I had to get the manufacturer involved to deal with the state and get it approved. They state issued the approval. Attached installation guidelines form the manufacturer and said that was to be followed.

THe inspector insisted the attic had to have roof vents. We explained to him how the ICYNENE foam system works in attics. You attic becomes conditioned space, the thermal barrier is at the roof not at the ceiling. Nope, that paper you go from the state says nothing about vents and my book says you have to have vents. There will be vents through the roof or no approval.

After discussing with the manufacturer, we put in vents and just filled them up with foam.

Don't tick off the inspector - ever.

However I did end up telling our township supervisor I was going to run against him just so I cold fire that inspector whom everyone detested and hire someone else. He talked me out of it, but I was told we would be getting a new inspector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House