Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:57 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times

Advertisements

I have a 1962 rancher rental house that’s currently gutted due to a fire, and now that ductwork and electrical are almost done it’s almost time to decide on materials for the walls. This house originally had 1x6 V-groove paneling in the LR, DR, and kitchen... as do most houses of that vintage around here. I was originally planning to drywall the whole house, but I’m starting to consider reinstalling new pine paneling, since there’s a lumber mill nearby that sells it directly. By the time I pay someone to install drywall (I’m not good at it), I can install the pine paneling myself for almost the same price.

I’m mostly considering the paneling because it’s more durable and I won’t have to worry about it getting damaged by tenants. I’m just curious what opinions others have of it? In a way I know it ‘dates’ a house, but on the other hand it is higher quality than drywall. I would likely use a light stain, or maybe even just leave it natural and polyurethane it, so it wouldn’t have the dark look of the original paneling.

This is not my house, but it is the exact same floor plan and mine looked identical before being gutted.
Attached Thumbnails
Pickwick/V-groove pine paneling-9203d831-6dbe-4ac0-b712-920990e3cf04.jpeg   Pickwick/V-groove pine paneling-4d42ec70-6318-42ca-b49d-9df20f5596da.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 09:25 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This house originally had 1x6 V-groove...it is higher quality than drywall.

I'd love to know where that came from!

You have the perfect opportunity to do two things going forward- one; by installing drywall you could potentially reduce damage by fire. And you already know what that looks like. And two; you can modernize and lighten the rooms with walls that reflect light.

One other note on the paneling-
What was originally in the house was most likely an old growth Pine; you certainly won't get that today. Meaning it won't be as stable or strong as the original.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'd love to know where that came from!

You have the perfect opportunity to do two things going forward- one; by installing drywall you could potentially reduce damage by fire. And you already know what that looks like. And two; you can modernize and lighten the rooms with walls that reflect light.

One other note on the paneling-
What was originally in the house was most likely an old growth Pine; you certainly won't get that today. Meaning it won't be as stable or strong as the original.

It’s interesting you say that about fire, because the pine paneling in this house held up better than the drywall. The fire started in a bedroom, and the drywall in that bedroom disintegrated from the heat (and water), but the paneling on the opposite side of the wall, although charred, did hold up well.

I’m sure fire resistance of drywall has improved since 1962 though, and like you said the pine was likely more dense back then.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:43 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,153,045 times
For a house that age, the paneling that would originally have been used looks great.

I rather doubt that a house built in 1962 in the South would have true "old growth" pine as most of that was logged right after the Civil War. By the 1930s pine was already considered an agricultural product. However, finding similar quality today to that of 1962 will still be problematic. That said, I have seen a number of houses with newly installed pine paneling that looks to be of good quality and quite attractive, so it's definitely still possible.

The HGTV addicts will tell you that paneling is "out of fashion" but I disagree with the premise that a house needs to stay "in fashion" like your pants.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:46 PM

496 posts, read 407,941 times
Are you at all concerned about resale value? If you are I would dry wall most of it, or at least consult a local realtor before going with the paneling.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Are you at all concerned about resale value? If you are I would dry wall most of it, or at least consult a local realtor before going with the paneling.
What a weird fashion-obsessed world we live in, where real wood paneling is perceived to reduce a house's value and plain painted gypsum wallboard is perceived to increase it.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,069,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
For a house that age, the paneling that would originally have been used looks great.

I rather doubt that a house built in 1962 in the South would have true "old growth" pine as most of that was logged right after the Civil War. By the 1930s pine was already considered an agricultural product. However, finding similar quality today to that of 1962 will still be problematic. That said, I have seen a number of houses with newly installed pine paneling that looks to be of good quality and quite attractive, so it's definitely still possible.

The HGTV addicts will tell you that paneling is "out of fashion" but I disagree with the premise that a house needs to stay "in fashion" like your pants.
I did a Florida room with tongue and groove. At first it looked really good,and then I felt the walls closing in. I just recently ripped the top half out, and boarded it with sheet rock. The end result was dramatic, with a much cleaner, and larger look to the room.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:08 PM

Good point: the halfway-up look is also a good one. I have lived in three houses where at least one room was floor to ceiling paneling and in one house where one room was halfway up.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

This place is only 15 miles from me, so that paneling is easy to get around here...

Pine Paneling, Juniper Paneling, Pecky Cypress Paneling - Southern Wood Specialties

Most of it today is made from Slash pine, rather than the Longleaf used many years ago. Slash pine still produces strong wood though.

Some people consider any type of wood paneling out of style (and I’d agree for the 4x8 sheets), yet others say drywall looks “cheap”. I was mainly considering it because it’s less likely to get banged up by tenants and kids.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:19 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
I like real wood panaling. I'd use a much lighter stain, though, in small rooms.

I've put in pine floors and just sanded them and coated them with verathan, no stain at all. It looks good and the color is much lighter than what you are showing photos of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House