Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 AM

383 posts, read 429,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
OP,

Have you possibly been looking at old FEMA trailers that had the issue with formaldehyde ?

Eye irritation is one of the major issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEMA_t...ealth_problems

After I posted this thread, someone suggested that formaldehyde *had* to be the issue, even if the mobile homes were gutted. Of the six I have looked at over approximately 10 years, all but one had been gutted and renovated. The ductwork and cladding must have never been changed.

Thank you very much. Many upvotes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
And larger critters too. While working at a remote office I lived in an on-site single-wide that also housed a skunk. My boss warned me about running into a skunk in the dark, but they thought it only lived UNDER the trailer or the attached deck. One morning while sitting in the bathroom I heard what I thought were mice scrabbling toward the vent in the floor next to the throne. Next thing I know, a black and white face was peering up at me through the grille. There was a tense silent moment, then the air literally exploded with stink. You could see the fumes. It was also dead of winter, about 28 F, but it took days with fans and open windows for the place to be habitable again. At least my employer paid to get all my clothes cleaned.

A couple of nights later I trapped the skunk in a garbage bag-covered HavaHart trap, threw it in the back of an suspension-free 4X4 pickup, and drove that intruder miles down the roughest road I could find before releasing it. Didn't want him to ever attempt to find his way home.

Hopefully THAT wasn't the source of the smell OP!
Wow! You are a compassionate lady. Yes, I do believe that, let's say a combination of organic matter, make unprotected ductwork particularly iffy. If you add to that a trailer lived in by cigarette smokers...I've seen some ducts used as ashtrays.

What an ordeal for you.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A trailer can NEVER been made into a modular house. A modular house is built in a factory to national building code, transported in pieces, and attached to a foundation. Modular houses are built to the same code as a stick built house. Trailers are manufactured homes which are built to HUD standards....two totally different things.

Financing them is different. You can't put a manufactured home anywhere....many towns and counties have very strict laws on them. Modular homes can usually be built anywhere. A manufactured home could be moved again. A modular home can't as it's all assembled and attached to the foundation.
I knew the difference but just wanted to state how thoroughly one trailer owner had gutted his mobile home. I've seen modular homes I think are more desirable than homes built-on-site.

Thanks for the response.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:55 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It's been a rental. All the ductwork doesn't look like that.

All of my tenants in mobile homes sweep garbage into the heater vents. When they move out, I vacuum whatever is loose, spray orange cleaner into the vent and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then I wipe them clean. Dirt and yuck (including a layer of hair and often including food items) never extends more than a few inches beyond the vent cover. From down at floor level, you can see the rest of the ductwork is fine.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's been a rental. All the ductwork doesn't look like that.

All of my tenants in mobile homes sweep garbage into the heater vents. When they move out, I vacuum whatever is loose, spray orange cleaner into the vent and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then I wipe them clean. Dirt and yuck (including a layer of hair and often including food items) never extends more than a few inches beyond the vent cover. From down at floor level, you can see the rest of the ductwork is fine.
Your tenants are lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House