Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:15 AM

857 posts, read 959,396 times

Advertisements

We have decided our wood panel wall is too woody. It looks too old, and the dark color hides a lot of insects. My wife wants something brighter and a more modern feel. I will leave only the ceiling as wood panel.

Here are what I think are my options to achieve that:

1. Remove the wood panels and put up 1/2" thick sheet rock, then perhaps apply knock-down pattern, and finally paint. I can probably use the wood boards for something else.

2. Remove the molding strips, apply 1/4" thick sheet rock directly on to the wood panel, then perhaps apply knock-down pattern, and finally paint. I won't be able to reuse the wood boards, however 1/4" sheet rock is probably cheaper and this can save some labor to remove the wood panels.

3. Paint the wood boards. I kind of doubt this approach would look and feel good, but want to get some expert opinion.

4. Any other ideas?

Your views on the pros and cons of any approach is welcome. What my wall looks like now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	196143

Last edited by rhbj03; 03-11-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Aren't you in Singapore?

Old 03-11-2018, 02:04 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
I'd vote to take it down and do the 1/2" sheetrock. That's a lot of decent material to just bury in the wall. Plus, sheetrocking over it will cause issues with your door and window trim.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:05 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I'd vote to take it down and do the 1/2" sheetrock. That's a lot of decent material to just bury in the wall. Plus, sheetrocking over it will cause issues with your door and window trim.
Agreed. Gotta remove the wood first. If it's in decent shape you can recycle it into some other project. If not...bonfire!

Old 03-11-2018, 02:07 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Hides insects??

What is under the current wood paneling and what condition is it in? If it's going to need a lot of prep before you can put anything else over it that might make a difference. I read someplace that painting over wood paneling works best if you spray, not brush the primer and paint. However, if the paneling has significant "grain" or variation in surface texture (ie knots) paint won't hide that. You might have to spend a lot of prep time building a smooth surface.

Then there are lime, whitewash, milk paint type semi-transparent finishes.

Sorry, not an expert, but I have struggled with wood paneling before, couldn't make up my mind as I liked the wood itself, finally didn't change the walls, changed the colors in the furniture, rugs, drapes, instead.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:40 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
We have decided our wood panel wall is too woody.
...want to get some expert opinion.
Move.

Seriously... if the nature of the home is the issue sell it and move.
Get into the sort of home you want to live in.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:22 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
How much wall space are we talking about? One room? Tear it out. The whole house? Well then, you didn't make a good choice. Live with it, or start from scratch. Personally I kinda like it, so there is that.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Aren't you in Singapore?
lolol!

good catch

Old 03-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
lolol!

good catch
Yes I am! But activities in US does not stop just because of it.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hides insects??

What is under the current wood paneling and what condition is it in? If it's going to need a lot of prep before you can put anything else over it that might make a difference. I read someplace that painting over wood paneling works best if you spray, not brush the primer and paint. However, if the paneling has significant "grain" or variation in surface texture (ie knots) paint won't hide that. You might have to spend a lot of prep time building a smooth surface.

Then there are lime, whitewash, milk paint type semi-transparent finishes.

Sorry, not an expert, but I have struggled with wood paneling before, couldn't make up my mind as I liked the wood itself, finally didn't change the walls, changed the colors in the furniture, rugs, drapes, instead.
I was referring to the fact that with the darker color, spiders and little bugs can more easily blend in to the back ground, so there are more of those in the house.

I have not opened the walls in this house yet; my guess is it's just hallow space behind the wood panels, with regular 16" centered studs. What prep might be needed in the worst case scenario?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House