Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:29 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times

Advertisements

Hello, all, hopefully a simple question. At some point in the future, I'm hoping to replace my current kitchen countertops with either quartz or granite, and I'd also like to add a tile backsplash. It's not in the budget to do both at the same time, so my question is, would it be best to do the countertop first, then the backsplash, or would it not matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
At some point in the future, I'm hoping to replace my current kitchen countertops
...and I'd also like to add a tile backsplash.

It's not in the budget to do both at the same time...
By how much?

Absent specific numbers to bat around...
I'll suggest you hold off for some point in the future when you have it all.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
You need countertops. You DON’T need a backsplash. I mean, it’s nice to have, but no one NEEDS one. I had nothing but wallpaper on the walls in my kitchen for 20 years.

If you are planning on a material on the walls other than paint or wallpaper, then you certainly want to wait until the counters are in. For one thing, tiles should be placed on the wall with a slight expansion gap above the counters. I’d not want to risk screwing up that measurement. Do the counters first. Wait on the backsplash.

Also you’ll have a much better idea of possible backsplash colors once you get those counters in.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
From a work perspective, both at once is the best bet but of the two, I'd pick counters over backsplash.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:22 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Tops first-
backsplash sits on top of the counter.

doing it backwards creates problems for installing tops secondary.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Yes, countertop goes down first. So, countertop first. Plus it's easier to find a back splash in the future to match in some way.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Counters first. The counter is the main ingredient. The backsplash is the accessory.

Are your cabinets in good shape? If not you do cabinets first, the n counters, then backsplash. Don't put expensive counters on top of old junky cabinets.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
We used Silestone everywhere and did a partial backsplash that didn't add that much more money. For behind the range, we had him cut the backsplash into a arch that reaches up higher than the rest of the backsplash. I think it looks nice, gives an accent to the cooking area and we have no complaints.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
So...quartz or granite? I read someone's post that there's NO WAY she'd ever use quartz. But others say granite is a bit out now, if you follow trends. I really don't care if it's a composite, really, I just want to sell this house.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
So...quartz or granite? I read someone's post that there's NO WAY she'd ever use quartz. But others say granite is a bit out now, if you follow trends. I really don't care if it's a composite, really, I just want to sell this house.
Granite is not “out”. It’s less expensive than it used to be as there are so many more options now. Personally, my first choice would be a true quartzite, but quartzite is tricky. If you know little about it, then avoid it. There is a ton of material being sold as quartzite that is in fact a calcite/dolomite stone, which is far more of a marble and will have marble tendencies. Most folks don’t want such high maintenance stone on their kitchen counters.

“Quartz” = engineered quartz. While it is structurally harder than granite, (meaning that you can have slightly greater unsupported overhangs, for example) it is certainly not impervious to chipping, and it is much less heat-resistant than granite. Neither is heat proof. Granite must be sealed, quartz does not. Both can stain, but you really have to work at it to do so. Quartz offers a ton of gorgeous colors and patterns, with more coming out every day it seems. Granite is natural stone, so the various types are fairly well known. Most granite has the little spotty patterns, and I think people are more tired of that look, however there are some gorgeous granites to be found. Of course those were the more pricey ones.

Personally I would only choose a granite if I could find one that was not the more common lower level granites. I think those are actually very unappealing.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 03-13-2018 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House