Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,635,809 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the above suggestions. Very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:17 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,509,706 times
I did over 40 interior doors and over 20 wooden plantation shutters last summer for our home. Took me a full week. Make sure you clean everything first with TSP solution, makes a big difference.

Hands down, this is the best home DIY sprayer I’ve ever used, and by all accounts I am a novice. Bought mine several years ago to paint 400 feet of wooden fence. Made it super easy. On my doors and shutters, it took 20x’s the time to get them prepped and ready than it did to actually paint them. I would do 6 doors at a time, laid out on a make shift rack that consisted of 3 saw horses with 2x4 sides. Maybe 30 feet long. With this sprayer, I’d cover one side of all 6 in a perfect coating in less than 10 minutes tops. When dry, I’d flip and do the other side. When I did the shutters, I basically had them all set up with slats open in the garage and sprayed all 23 of them in maybe 5 miles per coat. Without question, a sprayer makes life sooo much easier! No brush marks, no missed inside corners, no uneven coating. Truly perfect, the first time.

This graco is kind’ve like a snowblower. You don’t really need it, until you wish you had it. I can promise you, I’ll have mine for as long as it’ll have me. One use of this thing, and you’ll honestly start to look for other things you could paint with it.

Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026SR0FW..._C.ZPAbD7ZDGRA

But I will warn you, you do waste more paint with a sprayer than with a brush or roller. And it’s not a device you’d want to drag out for just one door, as the cleanup is a process in its self. Not complicated, but when you realize that it took you 30 seconds to paint it perfectly, and 15 minutes to clean it up and store it, well you see the frustration aspect.

For small projects, the best little sprayer I’ve ever used is called a “critter” spray gun. Not fancy or complicated, but does a great job for that one off chair or door. It’s basically a glass mason jar hooked to a sprayer that you hook up to a basic air compressor. Super simple and even easier to clean up when done. You control the spray pattern and pressure with the air compressor itself.

Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006FRPJ..._sr0PAbWQ1YZAM

Last edited by NC211; 03-12-2018 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 PM

17,413 posts, read 65,584,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
We do have a Harbor Freight near us. One airless sprayer is on sale down from $299 - is that too cheap?

Thanks for the advice.

It's actually on sale-

https://m.harborfreight.com/airless-...kit-60600.html

They compare it to the Graco that was mentioned in a previous post. Clearly it isn't the top of the line, but it will certainly do a good job if you follow directions from the paint manufacturers and follow the guidelines of the sprayer instructions. Pay particular attention to the tip size for the paint you're using.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's actually on sale-

https://m.harborfreight.com/airless-...kit-60600.html

They compare it to the Graco that was mentioned in a previous post. Clearly it isn't the top of the line, but it will certainly do a good job if you follow directions from the paint manufacturers and follow the guidelines of the sprayer instructions. Pay particular attention to the tip size for the paint you're using.
Now that’s a pretty good deal!!

I’d be willing to bet that it and the Graco are the same inside. One manufacturer that changes the label and plastic cover per brand name, but same pumps and seals inside.

I’ve not used it for interior space though, I’m not that good to not cause a bigger mess than warranted. Might try it for the garage walls though whenever I get to that project.

100% agree on the tips. If you need some easy assistance on getting the right one for what you’re trying to do, just stop by a Sherrie Williams store and ask. They’ve been really good to me on my learning curve thus far with this type of stuff.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,962,706 times
are they dark wood or light wood or are they white ? I'm asking because if they are light wood and you want them darker why not just stain them and change the hardware . You will not believe what a difference it will make .

Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Now that’s a pretty good deal!!

I’d be willing to bet that it and the Graco are the same inside. One manufacturer that changes the label and plastic cover per brand name, but same pumps and seals inside.

I’ve not used it for interior space though, I’m not that good to not cause a bigger mess than warranted. Might try it for the garage walls though whenever I get to that project.

100% agree on the tips. If you need some easy assistance on getting the right one for what you’re trying to do, just stop by a Sherrie Williams store and ask. They’ve been really good to me on my learning curve thus far with this type of stuff.
That was a good point about the cleanup taking longer than the actual painting. I will look into the "critter" sprayer as that might fit our purposes better. We will be doing this over a period of time.

We have a Sherwin Williams store nearby and they have been helpful before so we can also check with them.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are they dark wood or light wood or are they white ? I'm asking because if they are light wood and you want them darker why not just stain them and change the hardware . You will not believe what a difference it will make .
We are repainting white cabinets. This will be the third time they have been painted - all white - over 2 decades. Therefore we want to do a great sanding job and have them look as good as possible.

The cabinets were built on site 50 years ago by carpenters (when the house was built) out of solid birch so we want to keep them. You are correct that a darker stain would work and look very nice but they have been painted already.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,962,706 times
[quote=shamrock4;51295912]We are repainting white cabinets. This will be the third time they have been painted - all white - over 2 decades. Therefore we want to do a great sanding job and have them look as good as possible.

The cabinets were built on site 50 years ago by carpenters (when the house was built) out of solid birch so we want to keep them. You are correct that a darker stain would work and look very nice but they have been painted already.[/Q

oh okay I see .we stained our wood cabinets and added new hardware and they look very good

Old 03-13-2018, 01:54 PM

I think the Critter might be useful indeed if you're not going to tackle the project all at one time. If you are going to do all this at the same time but over a couple of days, the other sprayer can still do the trick very well, just remember to cover up your open paint can with a plastic bag and it'll prevent it from drying out (won't dry out in the machine either).

I'm sure you know this already, but just in case, I will pass along a very good tip K'ledge shared with me earlier this year - Aklyd paint! Sherwin Williams will know exactly what that means. Lowes, not so much. It is some amazingly durable water-based paint that will give protection similar to oil based (without the mess). I used it on our front door earlier this year (solid black) and it's been flawless, and recently used the same can to repaint a bunch of laminated cabinets and drawers while transitioning an old "media" room into a home movie theater. It's been great!

Don't use cheap paint on the cabinets, whatever you do. We made that mistake two years ago, and still paying for it with multiple chips and whatnot. We didn't know any better, and the painter we hired to repaint our dark cabinets white used the most basic flat white Sherwin Williams paint he could get. I'd like to ring that guy's neck for the $4,000 he charged us, but that was pretty cheap in our market, so I'll have to redo it myself later with the good stuff via Aklyd based paint.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I think the Critter might be useful indeed if you're not going to tackle the project all at one time. If you are going to do all this at the same time but over a couple of days, the other sprayer can still do the trick very well, just remember to cover up your open paint can with a plastic bag and it'll prevent it from drying out (won't dry out in the machine either).

I'm sure you know this already, but just in case, I will pass along a very good tip K'ledge shared with me earlier this year - Aklyd paint! Sherwin Williams will know exactly what that means. Lowes, not so much. It is some amazingly durable water-based paint that will give protection similar to oil based (without the mess). I used it on our front door earlier this year (solid black) and it's been flawless, and recently used the same can to repaint a bunch of laminated cabinets and drawers while transitioning an old "media" room into a home movie theater. It's been great!

Don't use cheap paint on the cabinets, whatever you do. We made that mistake two years ago, and still paying for it with multiple chips and whatnot. We didn't know any better, and the painter we hired to repaint our dark cabinets white used the most basic flat white Sherwin Williams paint he could get. I'd like to ring that guy's neck for the $4,000 he charged us, but that was pretty cheap in our market, so I'll have to redo it myself later with the good stuff via Aklyd based paint.
Yes, we have learned the value of good paint. We recently painted the house inside with mostly Benjamin Moore. I do like SW and have a store with helpful people nearby. The cabinet paint is semi-gloss now and has lasted 10 years but really needs to be freshened now more than anything. I have touched up around the handles and the drawers fronts through the years. They have paneled doors so a sprayer would be easier.

I will check out that SW paint you mentioned. We used oil based many years ago but I just can't stand the smell and cleanup. Plus our kids are grown and our cabinets do not get banged up now. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House