U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,931,197 times

Advertisements

I just had an FHA appraisal completed and the appraiser noted peeling paint on the exterior foundation wall (stone) and front/back door trim. The comment in the report is:

Quote:
Peeling paint was noted on the exterior of the foundation walls, basement windows and front & kitchen exterior door trim. All peeling paint surfaces must be scraped and repainted. ALL PAINT CHIPS MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE IN ORDER TO PASS THE FINAL COMPLIANCE INSPECTION.
I understand removing old paint and repainting the wood and metal frame of the windows and doors. My preference is to leave the exterior foundation wall unpainted. My realtor is interpreting the above to mean that the stone must be repainted. The stone is 112 years old and wasn't intended to be painted in the first place. Is it truly necessary to actually repaint an exterior stone surface once the offending paint is completely removed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:21 PM

4,504 posts, read 2,334,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I just had an FHA appraisal completed and the appraiser noted peeling paint on the exterior foundation wall (stone) and front/back door trim. The comment in the report is:

I understand removing old paint and repainting the wood and metal frame of the windows and doors. My preference is to leave the exterior foundation wall unpainted. My realtor is interpreting the above to mean that the stone must be repainted. The stone is 112 years old and wasn't intended to be painted in the first place. Is it truly necessary to actually repaint an exterior stone surface once the offending paint is completely removed?
I would check with the FHA. They are notoriously picky about some of their requirements. I once got all new siding paid for by the sellers on a house because the existing masonite siding had some chipping and swelling in it; they put all new vinyl siding to cover it to meet the FHA's requirements. Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons that FHA financing is not always the best to use for very old houses.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:24 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,317,298 times
If your home was built before 1978 then ALL peeling paint must be removed from the premises.

If the foundation wall is painted and the paint is peeling then it will have to be scraped and repainted and all paint chips will have to be removed from the site.

IF the foundation wall is stone and you want to completely remove the paint and paint chips and the stone will look good with all paint removed then that should be fine with FHA and the appraiser.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,931,197 times
Thanks for the advice. I contacted the appraiser for clarity as well.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:17 AM

13,154 posts, read 50,619,140 times
"Clarity"? That's a nice way to put it!

FHA inspectors are pretty much like AHJ inspectors- don't question their authority; they just become A-holes! Give'em what they want a get-on down the road. Or; find a less imposing structure for inspection- a 100+yo house doesn't really fall into their "expertise".

Encapsulation of lead paint- and I'm sure that house has plenty(!)- is a mystery to the naked eye. Sometimes it just makes you wonder; what's the point?(!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or