Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:38 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times

Advertisements

Before you do anything elses - please go to AKEMI USA. I am not advertising. I have natural stone (not in my shower) - the products are from Germany and before you attempt to clean your shower you will want to clean and seal with one of their products. Give them a call - they are very helpful and literally, this product saved our floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:33 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I got some blue Dawn to clean my travertine shower, as suggested. My question is...what do I do now? Do I just squirt it on and scrub, do I dilute it and scrub, or what? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I am new to travertine and don't want to hurt it.
I also am not the world's greatest cleaner, so specific instructions would be awesome. Thanks!

I bought some blue dawn as well. I also got one of those sponges for washing dishes that has a sponge on the end and the tube where you put in the detergent. Then I just squeeze a little and use the sponge to clean the shower, use the hand held to wash it all down the drain. I have travertine on my walls and slate that has a slight metalic shine to it on the floor. So I am also hoping this is okay on the slate too!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times
This is what I needed! Thank you! How does your shower look? Good, I hope. I'll have to try it, but with a bucket. No hand-held shower head.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,667 times
Water and Vinegar seems to work well on porcelain tile...maybe someone can chime in on the travertine...don't see why not

Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 202,620 times
Default Travertine Cleaning

Please do NOT use vinegar on any natural stone. It is acidic and the calcium in the stone does not react well. It causes an etch. I know there will be those that say they have used it with great results. Don't know how you diluted it, but if you continue to use it your day of reckoning will come. Your best friend in a shower is a squeegee. Use it on a daily basis. Soaps and shampoos are hard on all shower surfaces. Too many people are into thinking that sealing will remedy all the ills of their stone. It won't. Many companies misrepresent what a sealer will do. It will not make any of your surfaces "bullet proof." Yes, I restore natural stone for a living but am not attempting to sell anything. A good neutral pH stone cleaner can be found @ Lowes: Dupont Stone & Tile Cleaner. Approx 2 oz in a gallon of water and just damp mop. Don't flood the floor.

Ken
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrascal View Post
Please do NOT use vinegar on any natural stone. It is acidic and the calcium in the stone does not react well. It causes an etch. I know there will be those that say they have used it with great results. Don't know how you diluted it, but if you continue to use it your day of reckoning will come. Your best friend in a shower is a squeegee. Use it on a daily basis. Soaps and shampoos are hard on all shower surfaces. Too many people are into thinking that sealing will remedy all the ills of their stone. It won't. Many companies misrepresent what a sealer will do. It will not make any of your surfaces "bullet proof." Yes, I restore natural stone for a living but am not attempting to sell anything. A good neutral pH stone cleaner can be found @ Lowes: Dupont Stone & Tile Cleaner. Approx 2 oz in a gallon of water and just damp mop. Don't flood the floor.

Ken
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Is there any natural cleaning product that can be used to clean travertine? I'm really trying to avoid buying yet another chemical that is harmful to the environment and my health. I'm having a very difficult time finding something that will remove mold and mildew from the travertine and grout.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Is there any natural cleaning product that can be used to clean travertine? I'm really trying to avoid buying yet another chemical that is harmful to the environment and my health. I'm having a very difficult time finding something that will remove mold and mildew from the travertine and grout.
You are correct. At a customer's request we have used many "green cleaning products" and have not had the results desired.

MB Stone Care - Education Before any Sale! I highly recommend MB-3 and MB-9. Maurizio & Laura Bertoli trained me many years ago in stone restoration and they are truly great people who are honest and don't believe in selling someone something that will not achieve the results required. Mind you not everything is a DIY. Hope this helps.

Ken

Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
You are correct. At a customer's request we have used many "green cleaning products" and have not had the results desired.

MB Stone Care - Education Before any Sale! I highly recommend MB-3 and MB-9. Maurizio & Laura Bertoli trained me many years ago in stone restoration and they are truly great people who are honest and don't believe in selling someone something that will not achieve the results required. Mind you not everything is a DIY. Hope this helps.

Ken
I took a look at the link, and while the products claim to remove mold and mildew (something I'm looking for), it doesn't say whether they are natural or not. In fact, there isn't any information regarding what the products actually are. For all I know, they could contain some of the most toxic ingredients. I really want to find something that is natural, but as with most cleaning products, the claim is that is needs to be a chemical in order to work. I don't buy that. While someone (maybe you) mentioned that vinegar is an acid and shouldn't be used on natural stone, what about baking soda? It is a base. I wonder how that would work. Anyone use baking soda to clean natural stone with any success?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I took a look at the link, and while the products claim to remove mold and mildew (something I'm looking for), it doesn't say whether they are natural or not. In fact, there isn't any information regarding what the products actually are. For all I know, they could contain some of the most toxic ingredients. I really want to find something that is natural, but as with most cleaning products, the claim is that is needs to be a chemical in order to work. I don't buy that. While someone (maybe you) mentioned that vinegar is an acid and shouldn't be used on natural stone, what about baking soda? It is a base. I wonder how that would work. Anyone use baking soda to clean natural stone with any success?

I like your tag line " they say I'm a dreamer". In any event, we have had several clients that obviously have not maintained their stone surfaces and all of a sudden they want to restore them to new again BUT (this is a BIG but) they want to do it naturally (much like you). I've learned to chuckle (silently) and listen to the rumors they claim they read on the infamous internet or heard from their friends to remedy the problem. Why then are the calling my company? The truth be told is that they have wasted their precious time and tried these with little to no results. Hence they too are a dreamer. I wish you the very best of "luck" with your baking soda, vinegar or what ever else you wish to throw at your natural stone. If I was you next time I put in a surface you might want to give some serious thought about something that is more natural and not taking away from our natural resources. Think GREEN.

HAVE A GREAT DAY! :-)

Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
I like your tag line " they say I'm a dreamer". In any event, we have had several clients that obviously have not maintained their stone surfaces and all of a sudden they want to restore them to new again BUT (this is a BIG but) they want to do it naturally (much like you). I've learned to chuckle (silently) and listen to the rumors they claim they read on the infamous internet or heard from their friends to remedy the problem. Why then are the calling my company? The truth be told is that they have wasted their precious time and tried these with little to no results. Hence they too are a dreamer. I wish you the very best of "luck" with your baking soda, vinegar or what ever else you wish to throw at your natural stone. If I was you next time I put in a surface you might want to give some serious thought about something that is more natural and not taking away from our natural resources. Think GREEN.

HAVE A GREAT DAY! :-)
Sooooo.... What's yer point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House