Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times

Advertisements

When we first saw the home we just bought we were very impressed by the gorgeous travertine inlaid with granite kitchen floor and the travertine spa/shower. Having moved in now the first blush is wearing off and I'm trying to figure out how to clean all this stone.
I got a non surfactant spray cleaner for the granite countertop (lady at the store said just use water and soap and save the spray for company!!). Now about all this travertine - how in the world do I clean the shower stall? The walls are travertine and the flooring is a rougher stone. I'm guessing all the regular cleaners are out - as well as anything with vinegar in it. I've read that switching to liquid soap with reduce soap scum?? Ok great but I still have to clean it. Any recommendations?
Also I have a bissell steam mop I was planning to use on the floor in the kitchen (travertine with small granite squares in it) and read somewhere that steam will peel off the finish??? Any ideas about this one? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Use Dawn liquid, the original blue kind not the ones with additives. It is very gentle and efficient.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
I used to clean a house with a travertine tiled shower. The homeowner insisted that I use a vinegar/water mixture. It cleaned pretty well, and it didn't seem to cause any damage.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I used to clean a house with a travertine tiled shower. The homeowner insisted that I use a vinegar/water mixture. It cleaned pretty well, and it didn't seem to cause any damage.
REALLY!! Well, everything I've read keeps yelling against the vinegar option. Any idea what dilution it was? I'm guessing it wasn't straight vinegar but was mixed with water??

As to blue dawn - that sounds like a good solution (and costco carries a great big jug of it ). I've read somwhere on the forum that it does not leave streaks so may have to give it a try.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Travertine is basically a calcium/lime based material making it basic. Any use of acid will etch it. It may not immediately be noticeable when using a weak soultion but over time it will show. The most obvious sign of etching is that the travertine will attract more dirt and maintain a "dirtier" appearance from grime getting into the lightly etched areas.

I am a lapidary (stone cutter) and Dawn liquid is something we swear by when cleaning (washing) rocks of all sorts including sensetive precious stones such as opals and pearls. It is very mild and removes grease/oils and dirt quite well.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
REALLY!! Well, everything I've read keeps yelling against the vinegar option. Any idea what dilution it was? I'm guessing it wasn't straight vinegar but was mixed with water??

As to blue dawn - that sounds like a good solution (and costco carries a great big jug of it ). I've read somwhere on the forum that it does not leave streaks so may have to give it a try.
The homeowner mixed 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water. Hope this helps!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times
I got some blue Dawn to clean my travertine shower, as suggested. My question is...what do I do now? Do I just squirt it on and scrub, do I dilute it and scrub, or what? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I am new to travertine and don't want to hurt it.
I also am not the world's greatest cleaner, so specific instructions would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
i have tile floors in my kitchen and bath room. the only thing i have found is an acid wash designed for tile floors. you can get this at home depot or lowes. it works great, it gets the grout lines all nice and clean. i have tried everything and thats the only thing that worked for me. if you have any more questions please ask

Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 AM

62 posts, read 406,860 times
We have been using this on our travertine with great results:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/TileStoneCare/Cleaners/tumbledHonedMTLSCleanersREsealers.aspx?user=arc〈=e n

I think I found it at Home Depot.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Found a Travertine/Marble cleaning solution at Bed Bath and Beyond. Havent tried it yet - says to dilute with warm water first so should go a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House