Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,372,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK - Don't you put ~food~ in your shopping cart?
OK either I am thick today or too literal. What? Yes I put food and items to purchase in my cart but never a purse. That stays on my shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Many public restrooms don't have a hook or place to put down a purse, and women often put them on the floor... that's even worse, because, seriously how many of us actually clean the bottom of a purse and how often...?
Squeeze it between your legs or under your arm.

Quote:
Most bathrooms do. The trouble is, if the hooks are high and on the door, I've heard that purse thieves can come along and grab purses over the top of the door and run... while you're too indisposed to get up quickly!

Talk about potentially irrational fears... that's mine... more than germs! I usually loop mine over something else, like the TP dispenser.
The restrooms I have been in aren't usually that crowded that I worry about someone reaching over and stealing a purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 03:08 PM

14,456 posts, read 12,059,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OK either I am thick today or too literal. What? Yes I put food and items to purchase in my cart but never a purse. That stays on my shoulder.
Because of security, or because of germs?

Quote:
The restrooms I have been in aren't usually that crowded that I worry about someone reaching over and stealing a purse.
It's not crowded restrooms you have to worry about, or others would see the thief. It's the restroom with only one other person who sees you go in with a bag and hang it.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Because of security, or because of germs?

Security is why I don't leave it in my cart. I am not too worried about germs. I actually think we need to be exposed to germs so we are able to fight off infections but that's for another thread, lol.

It's not crowded restrooms you have to worry about, or others would see the thief. It's the restroom with only one other person who sees you go in with a bag and hang it.
Makes sense...but where do you people live, lol.?

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM

14,456 posts, read 12,059,197 times
I can understand the security aspect. I don't worry about germs either.

I don't know anyone who has actually had a purse stolen... I saw it on a news report years ago and it settled with me.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,009,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I need mine because I am a lipstick/Chap Stick addict and always have to put on more after eating/drinking. I rarely seem to have pockets, so I keep my purse with me.

I have this superstition an old friend told me about setting your purse on the floor, so I never do it. ("Purse on the floor, money out the door.") I usually hang it on a chair nearby that's not being used, out of the way but accessible to me.

I promise I'm not a weirdo.

In our area, at least in some of the commercial parking lots, there have been times when thieves target purses they see sitting in cars. They just break the window and grab the handbag. So I don't feel comfortable leaving it in the car.

And yes, I clean my purse. I get creeped out when a purse starts looking like a mobile compost bin.

That made me laugh. lol

Also, one of the reasons I don't carry cloth or straw purses. They just seem like germ traps to me.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:21 PM

61,597 posts, read 86,909,002 times
So, back to square one - when I go to visit, I put my purse where I sit: next to me on the sofa, or hang it on the chair. My purses are not big, so it's not a problem. (a bigger problem are dozen pillows on the sofa and just a little edge left to sit . )

Old 03-22-2018, 07:04 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Some other poster brought this up in another thread and I was just curious how many ladies put your purse on the floor or on the seat next to you or where ? and do you ever think how many germs we ladies could be spreading with our handbag . I use baby wipes or sanitary wipes to wipe the bottom of my purse off after I have been out all day . how many of you ladies do the same ?

My suggestion is to have an alternate mini-purse, to take when you visit people, as opposed to going shopping. Something that omits larger, unessential things and can be kept in a pocket, while visiting.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
a purse starts looking like a mobile compost bin.
"Why" do women have such large purses? I have two theories One...they think it makes their butt look smaller or two...they may end up on Let's Make A Deal

Old 03-23-2018, 07:04 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,339,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
thought they had coat hooks? mens restroom do
...not always - many have taken them out because so many purse snatchers reach over the door and grab them

Some nicer/newer places have fold down shelves lower down. Otherwise you're stuck trying to hang the damb thing over your head at least if the strap is long enough - it's ridiculous but you know how filthy the floors are.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...not always - many have taken them out because so many purse snatchers reach over the door and grab them

Some nicer/newer places have fold down shelves lower down. Otherwise you're stuck trying to hang the damb thing over your head at least if the strap is long enough - it's ridiculous but you know how filthy the floors are.

Why didn't they just lower the hooks? Then no one could reach over he top. Simple. I don't know why people make things so complicated.

As for fold down tables...then you have the problem of setting your clean purse on a table where purses that have been on bathroom floors have been.

Just leave the purses at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House