U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:43 PM

27,982 posts, read 46,291,439 times

Advertisements

Meolin Walk The Plank Mouse Trap Plank Mouse Trap Auto Reset - Humane Bucket Rat Trap

https://www.amazon.com/Meolin-Walk-P...ank+mouse+trap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:09 AM

5,816 posts, read 3,102,300 times
I just use glue traps. Very effective, easy to dispose of, and inexpensive.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 AM

737 posts, read 665,085 times
I like the blue pellets they eat and take back to the nest die. Yes, the body may decompose and smell behind a wall or basement, but it works and the smell goes away after a few days if it does die in the house.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 AM

2,962 posts, read 2,859,785 times
I use the old school snap traps (Victor brand). Just keep in mind if the thing you are trying to trap is "too big" for it, they'll just walk off with the trap on them and probably die somewhere you can't reach them.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 AM

24,654 posts, read 59,410,399 times
Victor traps. Do not get off brands.

All the gimmicky traps work sporadically to not at all. Glue traps are horribly inhumane and sometimes they just chew off their leg(s) and hobble away.

I would never use poison for several reasons. Rotting corpses in your walls can causes diseases that can harm you. It stinks. It is gross. Your cat or your neighbors cat or a hawk or owl or whatever may eat the mouse and then die. Other animals may also eat the poison.

The walk the plant trap may work OK. We have used a similar homemade version that is free. It does catch mice. It does not catch them all, you still need snaptraps. Sometimes you find the mice still desperately swimming around in the bucket.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:00 PM

8,679 posts, read 8,845,911 times
I get mice in my attic, and I got tires of having to climb up there to reset snap traps and clean out dead mice all the time, so I decided to try out the walk-the-plank trap, and the rolling log mouse trap both together.

Ended up being a split between the two traps in terms of mice I caught, but what I loved about them was that I set the trap up in the attic (one on each side) and just let it be and didn't have to go up every few days to check the traps. At the end of the fall, I just pulled the buckets down and threw the mouse water into some thick bushes at the rear of the property.

I plan on resetting them up this spring as mice emerge from hibernation.

While I still use snap traps here and there in tight spots, I've had good luck with those two particular style traps.

I bought the original one off ebay. There are a lot of knock-offs for both
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Wa...-/132242134672

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolling-log...gAAOSw3ZRY-fyY

Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 PM

3,946 posts, read 1,483,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Glue traps are horribly inhumane and sometimes they just chew off their leg(s) and hobble away.

I would never use poison for several reasons. Your cat or your neighbors cat or a hawk or owl or whatever may eat the mouse and then die. Other animals may also eat the poison.

The walk the plant trap may work OK. We have used a similar homemade version that is free. It does catch mice. It does not catch them all, you still need snaptraps. Sometimes you find the mice still desperately swimming around in the bucket.
If I need to remove mice I happen to care about being humane. The animals I get here are all native species so I try to release them, not kill them. Would never use a glue trap; suffering is probably wretched. Used poison bait many years ago but after working at a local wildlife rehabilitator who had to handle non-target animals with secondary poisoning (its a nasty way to go) stopped that for good. A properly-adjusted and sized snap trap is at least quick and thorough. There are live-trap options from Havahart and Victor that are sensitive enough for tiny animals. I have several of the Havahart models and find they work quite well even for juvenile voles.

A couple of options:

Cube Mouse Traps | Humane Mouse Control

Extra Small 2-Door Live Mouse Trap | Havahart 1020

If I happen to catch multiples I'll dump them into a 5 gal bucket and release the group the next morning on the drive to wherever.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-05-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,074,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Victor traps. Do not get off brands.

All the gimmicky traps work sporadically to not at all. Glue traps are horribly inhumane and sometimes they just chew off their leg(s) and hobble away.

I would never use poison for several reasons. Rotting corpses in your walls can causes diseases that can harm you. It stinks. It is gross. Your cat or your neighbors cat or a hawk or owl or whatever may eat the mouse and then die. Other animals may also eat the poison.

Yes. I agree completely.

Mouse/rat poisons are probably the worst, as there is so much "collateral damage" with pets, wildlife, etc.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 PM

38,652 posts, read 44,891,938 times
Tried the walk the plank traps, was difficult training the mice to walk up the plank, they kept slipping back down.
Victor snap traps with a dab of peanut butter added are very effective catching them mice.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:55 PM

8,005 posts, read 5,258,332 times
So you rate drowning as a humane death? So why don't we use that on capital crimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or