Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
Oh gosh, a beach house would be my dream, with a stupid amount of windows, and white interior with lots of weathered wood features and furniture.

My second choice is a log home also with a stupid amount of windows haha, love those windows. Not too big, no more than 2000 sq ft or so. A pretty loft bedroom with a balcony, and a cozy fireplace in the living room. Ahhhhh.

I am not in either of these houses, dammit. Maybe some day, but not today.
Love your dream home. Always loved a lot of windows. Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski owned a simlar home on the beach in the Santa Barbara area. I remember it being featured on one of the local magazines. Linda apparently is a fan of white walls. Unfortunatly the two former Crocodile Dundee stars divorced in 2013 I think and Paul has sold his former Santa Barbara area homes. (He did owe the Australian Tax Office 33million. )

On a side note, in my area, your dream would more than likely set you back $5 million for Ocean front beach or $2 million for on the beach without an ocean view. For a Log cabin retreat around here you could get away with $400,000 up in the Northern Ventura County area.

Makes me wish I would have bought on the beach years ago or up in the mountains years ago when prices were much less. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I bought a house in the summer of 2015, that honestly IS my dream home. I never thought I'd find it but I did. Every morning when I awaken and look around, I just can hardly believe that I live in this house.

To anybody else, it probably looks like just another 1500 sf brick one story house built on a slab in 1965. ha ha!!

Anyway, I always wanted a big shower and it's got one. I always wanted a garage (rare in my area) and it's got a big detached 2 car garage with extra rooms and a workshop area. It is located in the best block in the neighborhood I was targeting, a walkable and very quiet neighborhood where everything is within 1-2 miles away.

Also, since I am almost 70, one thing I absolutely love about it is that it is already modified to make it very elderly friendly and disabled friendly. The prior owner was elderly and disabled, and her boyfriend is a retired general contractor that knew how to do things right! The grab bars in the shower are the sturdiest I have ever seen. By the side door, he built a metal table that is waist high, to put things on while opening the door (and also it has a railing on it to steady oneself while stepping inside).

I love everything about this house. It's even fancy, with gorgeous molding everywhere and the walls are my favorite color and were freshly painted. It has new engineered wood flooring that looks great. I love that the 1965 bathrooms were well cared for and not updated. It has a laundry room, be still my heart!! My favorite layout for a home has a den at the back looking out on the back yard, and so does this one. Just everything about it is simply perfect.

The yard was not perfect, since it had numerous huge trees that were so old and uncared for that they were falling down, huge branch by huge branch, dangerous in high winds or during hurricane season here. I had them removed and grass put in instead, so now my yard is perfect (for me).
This is so cool that you have exactly what you want right now.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
No yard to mow in an area that isn't flood prone. That's all I want. I'm a simple sort.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
My dream home would be a spooky old Victorian with ornate walnut wood work that was never painted. It would have an upstairs balcony and ornate original trim on the outside. The windows would have to be original and there would have to be stained glass windows. There would be original fireplaces with all of the original tiles and ornate unpainted mantels. It would have all hard wood floors and pocket doors. All of the hardware and light fixtures would be original. The outside would have a large antique iron fence around the property and it would be next to an amazing, beautiful grave yard.

Okay I'm a weirdo, but I love spooky things, and the neighbors would be super quiet. I could imagine decorating it for Halloween. I know how fun our 1911 Foursquare looks at Halloween, but a spooky old Victorian? Over the top.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:36 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,073 times
A beautiful house on the beach in Hawaii is my pipe dream home.

My actual dream home is my current home ... after we are done with all of our remodel projects!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:41 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
10-car garage with lifts, car-wash bay, oil change pit, and tools as far as the eye can see. Set aside an area off to the side with a 80" TV, couches, pool table and bar area. Attach enough house to it to keep the wife and kids happy.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,731,192 times
One that's paid in full

Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
10-car garage with lifts, car-wash bay, oil change pit, and tools as far as the eye can see. Set aside an area off to the side with a 80" TV, couches, pool table and bar area. Attach enough house to it to keep the wife and kids happy.
A man after my own heart.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
A beautiful house on the beach in Hawaii is my pipe dream home.

My actual dream home is my current home ... after we are done with all of our remodel projects!
Plenty of people smoking from the same pipe. LOL

I have also known a few people that turned their homes into dream homes. Great plan.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times
At the age of 58, I think I am in my "dream home," but this is probably my 5th dream home. LOL.

As an architectural historian, I love them all. (Since 1978, I have purchased and sold 10 homes. Yikes.)

My first house was perfect for my growing family. It had 1,200 square feet and 1.5 baths! I thought we were all in hog heaven!

Skip forward a few years and I ended up divorced and remarried and living in a Mid-Century brick ranch with 200-feet of frontage on a lake. I expected to grow old there, but I did not. My husband died tragically and I sold the house.

Now I am single again and last October (after 12 months in a rental), I *think* I found my dream house.

It's 1770 square feet with 3 tiny bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. It's quirky and fun and has lots of windows. It was custom built by the former owner, and it's got a sunken foyer, and side-loading garage in the basement.

Best part - the Japanese soaking tub in the master bathroom.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House