Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 12:02 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times

Advertisements

I've got some double-pane windows that are starting to fog up. The seals on the insulated glass units are going bad. I have vinyl windows, nothing wrong with them. I can get the IGU's out of the frame myself to replace them. But having a tough time finding a source to order new ones from. Everyone I call around me want at least $200 per window, want to send the crews out, yada yada yada. They push to replace the windows, when all I need is the glass units.

Anyone have any suggestions on a glass supplier I could reach out to? I have the exact measurements, style (has grids inside glass units), etc.

If you're in the mid-atlantic area like me and know a thing or two about windows, mine are Barber & Ross windows. They went BK about 10 years ago. Used to be huge. But poor management and leaving inventory out in the elements for too long caught up to them I guess. Lots of houses in my neighborhood have these windows from 2000. Folks are dishing out $30k+ for new windows when I don't understand why (and neither do they actually). Their window frames are fine, no problems. It's just the glass units are failing. But the companies push to replace the entire window units in general. Several folks feel as though it's a bit of a rip off after they've done the job. We do have some in the neighborhood with wood windows though which require a lot more work (rotting). But for those of us with vinyl double hung, it's about as "plug and play" as it gets, with the right measurements of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default You need to use a "life hack"...

Use google to search for "sealed unit double pane glass {nearest big city & state} " where you replace {nearest big city & state} with various cities that are within about a 40 mile radius...

You will get results that include LOTS AND LOTS of companies that will try to sell you new replacement windows BUT also at least a few GLASS COMPANIES that have the capabilities to copy the existing "sealed unit" and create a replacement. When you call 'em on the phone do not say that you have fogging issues. Just say "need replacement due to vandalism". The shops that hear this will understand that you are NOT going to want them ripping out the frames and such because glass replacement due to vandalism is covered by home owners insurance and the cost is limited to the "sealed unit"...

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2018, 02:36 PM

Thanks Chet, that is awesome guidance, I appreciate it!

I also found an online company called onedayglass.com that I am starting to poke around about too. Says 10 year warranty, and just basic ballpark pricing for a IGU my size with grids inside the glass is roughly $50 +/- each for Low-E glass (plus shipping of course). I have 70 individual windows that open/close in my house. Not all are going bad, but it's just a matter of time before they do. Right now, I'd say a dozen are fogging. So, you can see the need to find a more digestible solution to the problem, and thank goodness I knew enough to check to make sure not wood frames when looking at this fixer-upper two+ years ago! If I can replace the IGU's on all of them over time myself for less than $10k, that'd save me probably $40,000 from having a company come do it.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
If you are ready to replace them anyway, want to try something for S****s and Giggles? Take one out, heat it up to something over 212 degrees on a dry day, let it sit for an hour, then try to "paint" something around the edges to limit moisture from re-intruding. Black rubber cement, RTV, gopher guts, you choose.

I in no way am suggesting they will be as good as new, but you may find the fix acceptable and be willing to share it here. If you weren't already at the replacement stage and ready to do so, I wouldn't suggest it, but in this case "no harm, no foul" if it doesn't help, and it could help many others if successful.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Thanks Harry, that does sound like a fun experiment, but I think I'm just going to replace them outright instead of trying to fix them. They're approaching 18 years of age, the grids inside are loose to the point of rattling every time you walk by or close a door, and just ready to start being retired if the cost of $100+/- is true (which appears to be the case so far).

I'm going to give the online retailer a try next week on a couple of windows. I've called several glass companies in and around my city (DC), and all want to come out to the house to give me an "estimate". None will believe me on my measurements, grids, etc., even with photos. I doubt any of them can offer a price that would be low enough to justify the hassle of having to take the time to deal with a pitch guy. I know exactly what I want, I know exact measurements of length, width, depth, grid type, spacer type, glass type, etc.

A problem I have with fixing up this house, isn't the house itself, but where it is located. It's in a neighborhood of million dollar homes (mine is not a million dollar home, but could be someday with a lot of sweat equity / work). 80% of the time when a contractor comes to the neighborhood, comes through the entrance gates and sees the three biggest houses in the neighborhood sitting there to greet them, all of the sudden everything just got a whole lot more expensive all of the sudden. Can't blame them, as there are several who are willing to pay for it. But I'm not one of them unless if I have no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House