Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 04:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"every thing I see in the stores"

Are you referring to DE? Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. It won't hurt a dang thing but a tiny critter with an exoskeleton. People put it in their morning shakes.

Look it up.
My mother used to snack on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Just call the exterminator.

Of course ! they will get to the source and eliminate it. Nevermind messing around with home 'remedies'.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:48 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You have an ant nest somewhere under that window and/or maybe in the crawl space or basement. Definitely get an exterminator; they "breed like ants" and you may have more than one nest. Yuck.
May not even be near the window or the kitchen. I used to get them every spring like clockwork on my kitchen counter where the sink was. Water. One exterminator found nothing but sprayed. The next exterminator (same company) was thorough, he found where he thought the nest was under the siding on the exterior side wall to my dining room which was the next room over from the kitchen. He couldn't remove the nest without removing the siding so he used this gel bait. He ran it all along the sill under the house and in the kitchen running a bead along the wall where the counter met and along the window both inside and out. Never had them again. You can get this bait stuff in Home Depot or Lowe's. It comes in a tube and is sticky (gel) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Shot...69-4/202447795 It gets on their feet and they take it back to the nest and kill the queen.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
i was in temporary housing for a while and there were zillions of ants in the kitchen window and counter area. i moved because i could not deal with it, but i knew there had to be a natural deterrent since i will not have poison in my home and especially in my kitchen and food area. someone at work told me lavender, get (or make) a lavender spray, she said it does the trick. i'm curious to try it. but glad i now live someplace where i don't need to.

here's a link with a bunch of different natural ant deterrents:
https://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-hom...e-ant-invasion

Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Exterminators' treatment are not that expensive for the benefit you get. They will find the source and most likely eliminate it. Just having a guy come out and tell me where they are coming from is worth it.
Exterminators are not a good value unless you are too busy or too frail to do the treatment yourself. It is FAR cheaper, more effective, and really quite easy. I ended my pest control contract years ago, and have had far better success doing it myself, and saved a bundle in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House