Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times

Advertisements

I’m not suggesting this as a fix all for everyone because it’s not cheap so don’t get mad if it’s out of your budget, but what we did as soon as moving in (we’re night owls and understand the world is a morning person’s place, so we’re pre-emptive) is add Soundproof Windows to every bedroom upstairs and to my office. You don’t have to use that brand, but they make very thick double-pane windows and they go on the inside of your existing windows without affecting functionality at all. They are made to match your windows so if your windows slide from right to left to open, the new double-pane will also do that. It’s basically like a much higher quality extra window that blocks almost all outside noises especially ones that aren’t full of bass (like a truck, that’s harder to block but it helps).

These particular windows, best way I can describe this, if you wrap your knuckles against your average window it’ll sound “ping, ping” whereas the Soundproof Windows are more like “thud, thud.” They’re just much stronger and thicker, but don’t obstruct views or function. I figure when I move into a neighborhood my neighbors have every legal right to make reasonable noise after 8 am but I’m half-way into my night of sleep at that time and I can’t tolerate that. So my best solution is to improve my home.

Besides that you can add insulation if necessary or whatever else including a “room within a room” for a bedroom but it starts to get expensive. I stopped short of going crazy with our master as I priced out replacing the double doors with a studio door and adding a bunch of insulation to protect against the huge stairway / hallway outside full of regular windows. But it has been fine without that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post

It is absolutely not right that rude, inconsiderate neighbors get to take over wherever they go.
This just happened in my MH park directly across from me. I am boxed in & it stinks. The MH in front of mine has ALWAYS been quiet but not anymore. My next door neighbor has just become buddies with them (adults & kids) & I am 99.9% sure that he told them I am anti social. I deal with people all day at work & I just don't want to deal with them at home. My new neighbors don't work so WTF.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:45 AM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
As for the work questions - 2 of them do not work or drive or leave ever. The other one does.

They have hammered outside past 10-11, boom boxes, glow sticks, etc. Security evidently has them on watch and has told them to stop. Not the owners - they seem to hide in their bedroom. I figure they just have all these people there to help pay their mortgage. They seemed really confused about the HOA, I'm guessing they didn't read the documents we all got.
Wow. I am just so sorry that you are like a prisoner in your own home.

It seems to me that perhaps if the tenants next door are paying the mortgage, if you keep the pressure on, the tenants might be forced out, and so will the homeowners.

Has anyone mentioned checking on the legality of having tenants in a residential neighborhood? Are they permitted at all, and if so, are the neighbors over the limit?

I’d hate to see you take a big financial hit, move, and then find out that the old neighbors had moved too.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:16 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
My new neighbor gets a lot of traffic & is buddies with the mgr & now my other neighbor is jealous & wishes she had a lot of friends & family that visited her. They both annoy me plus the new neighbor has a dog that wont stop barking & my other neighbor said that the dog can bark away. I plan to distance myself from both of them. I am not a social person & some people just cant accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House