Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think the responses indicate they understand the machine is on SOLID CONCRETE.

The suggestions for a pan, I believe, mean something to sit on top of the concrete, like a metal tray, with significant enough depth for the spillage to push water out a hose, perhaps through the nearest exterior wall.
Moderator cut: personal attack The reason there isn't one sitting on top of the concrete is because it is completely unnecessary. I know what the OP is talking about, I have just never seen one in use. There isn't a drain provided for one in his house because there is no need for it. If the washer was to leak a little which is highly unlikely, it will be a small amount of water because washing machines don't hold that much water. If it was to happen, grab a mop and mop up the water....problem solved.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 06-14-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 08:07 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Stupid is building a house on a slab.
Think of all the advantages a 5-foot deep crawl space provides.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I think you misunderstand my question. I am not asking about how the machine's primary drain. I'm asking about a secondary overflow drain or pan.
When my home was being built, a drain line was installed in the laundry room floor through the slab and ran outside to a popup drain. We had the option of a curb or plastic pan; most picked the curb. In the event of flooding (overflow or pipe break) the bulk of the water would be contained within the "pan" and drain to the outside. The "pan" also had a water detector built into it. But we also have things like automatic washer valves and dryer vent flame sensors.

Some builders do this as a standard safety feature in the home. Others as an option or upgrade. And, you have those who know the average buyer is more concern over the shape of the toilet seat versus safety features so they don't even bother to include or offer it.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Stupid is building a house on a slab.
Think of all the advantages a 5-foot deep crawl space provides.
Well, if you want to buy a house in North Texas built in the last 40 years and you don't have the money to buy a lot and build a full custom house on it yourself, you will have a slab foundation. Don't assume that people have the choice.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Personally, I think the idea of a curb around the area of the washing machine, with a floor drain, seems to be a good idea; but first of all I think some building codes prohibit floor drains in residential construction; and secondly, you have to have water going down the floor drain regularly or the trap will dry out and you'll get sewer gases in the house.

I also wish the water heater had something similar. I did one live in a house with a crawl space, where the combustion air for the WH came from the crawl space (so the closet didn't have to have holes or slots in the door) and when the WH finally failed (which it did while we were living there) the water just ran down into the crawl space. Not a perfect solution, but better than flooding the whole house (all hardwood floors, by the way).

Old 06-22-2018, 10:09 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Pans are only needed when the machine on the second floor on a wooden structure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House