Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:42 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,202 times

Advertisements

Nice places, all of them.

None are of a style that appeals to me personally.

The renderings are artistic surreality, not reality.

Tastes are so subjective. Curb appeal is what looks nice to any particular viewer, at any given time.

None of these are Key West style (my preference), nor are most of the garages anywhere but plopped on the fronts of the homes (not for me either).

For me at least I think they all sort of blend together even though vastly different architectural styles. Nothing jumps out to my eye one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Best, #1

Second, #6

Third, #s 8 & 5

Fourth, #s 2 & 3

Fifth, #s 4, 7, 9, & 10

Old 06-15-2018, 03:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It’s funny because I guarantee 99% of people responding will never own a house as nice as most of these. And if you can’t see 5 is a gorgeous house I think you must just have no concept of design. Maybe you like really old run down shacks?! These houses would all start at $1M at least lol.
I don't think you should "guarantee" something, when you really don't have any way to verify that... how do you know who can or cannot (or will in the future) afford a house like these? And location certainly matters too, since you could probably get one for like $500K-1M in some regions, while they'd easily go for $4M+ here in the Bay Area.

I personally do not have the means to buy ANY house right now, but my family has owned homes this large/fancy, and I'm still not fond of the new-build "McMansion" look/size. I wouldn't say the OP's examples are ugly, and if I were offered one I'd happily take #4 or 8. Outside of those limitations, however, I'd much rather buy a renovated Victorian or authentic mid-century modern. My sister's currently in an Eichler, which is probably worth more than these, and has a more appealing style imo. They tend to be on the smaller side, but few people actually need ~5000sf - they just want it. Especially given my single-no-children status, I really don't need more than 1000sf!

Here's an Eichler, for those who aren't familiar with them:

And another one from the inside/back:

(but really, I have more of a soft spot for Victorians - probably since I'm from the San Francisco area, and grew up in a 1901 Victorian)

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-15-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Are you out of your mind?! LOL. Wow dude. Our house is 2,900 square feet and just big enough for 2 people because it happens to be on 3 floors. That’s literally the only way it works. Our next house is 4,500 and again it wouldn’t work being any smaller because it’s two floors. For sound purposes alone no house that small could ever work. Do you just all happen to sleep at exactly the same times and nobody ever watches TV when someone else is doing anything else or nobody watches any movie with 7.1 surround so you all sit around playing board games and reading?! Count yourself lucky I guess your needs are very low. That is TINY!

As for detached garages, how on god’s green earth do you make fun of houses with garages up front taking up a lot of space (I don’t love that either), but then promote a horrible design where you have to LEAVE the house just to access a garage?! That’s absolutely worse and absolutely awful! Especially if you live in a place like Portland it’s raining almost every day. Or even Las Vegas, it’s 110 in the summer, nobody wants to walk outside first they just want to get in their car. It’s just weird if a garage isn’t part of the house.

I have no clue what someone thinks is livable about a tiny little house. Obviously to each his own, but I work from home and my GF works part time from home. If one of us has to sleep earlier or later that means two bedrooms plus two offices, so 4 bedrooms for all intents and purposes. Then we need fun space, because that’s the primary point of a house not just sleeping in a bed. You could do that in a yurt. In our case that’s a finished basement with 800 square feet for dual TVs for gaming, arcade machine, pinball, and home gym. That’s what makes a place livable! I can entertain and hang out with friends, I stay in shape, I watch movies as close as I can to how they were intended to be watched, and I can do all of these things without bothering my GF two floors above me while she is working or sleeping or whatever else. I can’t imagine living my life on someone else’s schedule because I’m crammed into a tiny place. Oh wait just kidding I can because that’s exactly how it was before 2 years ago when we moved into a house and it was miserable. Every time I had a friend over it would drive her crazy while she was studying. Any time I wanted to stay up later working it became an issue. That’s no way to live. Small houses are for the birds.
Wrong. But ok

Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
They all seem to be funky amalgams of different styles, but if pressed, I'm sort of liking 1, 5, 8.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here's an Eichler, for those who aren't familiar with them:

And another one from the inside/back:

(but really, I have more of a soft spot for Victorians - probably since I'm from the San Francisco area, and grew up in a 1901 Victorian)
I would take either of those!

Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
I like 8, 5 and 1, but I like the modern contemporary look. They are all bigger than I'd ever buy or could ever afford, but I love the look of them. 8 is my favorite if I had to choose just one.

I live in approximately 1200 square feet and I need a bit more than that. Next house I hope will be around 1700-1900 with a garage and finished basement. Or 2500 with no basement. Stepping over dogs all the time can get old. LOL

Old 06-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I would take either of those!
They're very coveted around here, and therefore usually end up in bidding wars... but my sister and her husband were determined to get one, and were outbid on a few before finally "winning" theirs! It's too small for them now, after 10 years and two children (she was pregnant with #1 when they moved in), and does have a number of structural challenges. Just recently had to get a new roof, after years of dealing with leaks and a slippery/hazardous indoor courtyard every winter. They sure are nice looking, though.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Are you out of your mind?! LOL. Wow dude. Our house is 2,900 square feet and just big enough for 2 people because it happens to be on 3 floors. That’s literally the only way it works. Our next house is 4,500 and again it wouldn’t work being any smaller because it’s two floors. For sound purposes alone no house that small could ever work. Do you just all happen to sleep at exactly the same times and nobody ever watches TV when someone else is doing anything else or nobody watches any movie with 7.1 surround so you all sit around playing board games and reading?! Count yourself lucky I guess your needs are very low. That is TINY!
In my opinion two people don't NEED that much space, regardless of your schedules and activities. My sister and her husband + two children live in a 4br/2ba 1755sf Eichler, and as I just wrote above, they have outgrown it - but somehow they've managed alright for 10 years, even with both of them working irregular schedules and having infants/toddlers at the beginning. So I would say conversely that your needs are way too grandiose, but hey, that's your money to spend as you please. Do you wonder how so many families survive in smaller homes? You think these families never sleep, or what? Real estate here in the Bay averages around $400+ per square foot, so not everyone can afford something the size of your "smaller" home.

Meanwhile, your 800sf "recreation room" (basement) is larger than my entire home... it's just me, but I also have a dog, 3 cats, and 11 pet snakes. Honestly I think it's plenty of space, especially since it has a small yard too. Compared to the other places I've lived recently, it practically feels like a palace! That's expensive city living for ya, and I guess we just adjust our lifestyles and needs accordingly. I wouldn't even know what to do with 2000+ square feet, but it does remind me of George Carlin's "A place for my stuff" routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-15-2018 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 07:16 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
I looked at the first line, and they were all so gaudy and overkill I couldn't look at any more. I liked none of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House