Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 04:37 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times

Advertisements

This is easy. They are all equally unappealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 04:41 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
#9 is the least attractive.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
This!

I can't wait for modern designs to start replacing the southern style brick homes.
Absolutely, and they will in most places, or already have. I don't think anyone really cares what Southerns like or want, no offense, you're talking about a lot of really poor, cheap cities and communities. They're not a beacon for high tech design.

In Portland, while most houses ARE old because the city was already pretty much built out, you see that almost all of the in-fill homes are modern design or sometimes Craftsman, which is not that popular in most parts of the country (for good reason) but is a big deal here.

In Las Vegas, modern is the preferred design choice by the majority of home buyers now. There are several trends like "desert contemporary" and of course mid-century modern, which really just looks a lot like modern.

The only thing I don't ever see being popular with people is ultra modern design, where it's almost too much a work of art and not enough a functional home. I love to see beautiful works of art, in pictures, but I don't necessarily want to live in one unless you can combine art with function.

For a home, it's ALMOST enough that it just doesn't look like any other house, literally. I mean I'd probably take something hideously ugly as long as it doesn't look like a cookie cutter row home that screams "I'm just like everyone else." I honestly can't stand that. It was my biggest reason for going condo to condo, because at least the building I was living in was always beautiful, even if my condo is just ultimately a box within that beautiful building. Still better than some depressingly mediocre looking house in the suburbs.

As for modern design, most of the luxury communities in Vegas now are all modern, like Nova Ridge in Summerlin and Axis in Henderson (especially the Wall plan, which is what we are looking to buy).

Especially in a city like Las Vegas where monthly electric bills in the summer can run so high, you'd be way better off having a concrete structure with a concrete roof that's flat, solar panels lining every inch of it (which wouldn't be visible from the ground since you don't have a hundreds-year-old looking pitched roof with lousy shingles), and an airtight thermal structure. I don't know where people get their "romantic ideals" about bad looking houses, if it's just what they grew up in, or whatever, but modern homes are simply more practical and better looking in every respect.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
This!

I can't wait for modern designs to start replacing the southern style brick homes.
That ain’t gonna happen.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 PM

7,449 posts, read 4,681,624 times
@JonathanLB, those are nice home designs. i checked out the builder of Nova Ridge of Summerlin and it is Pardee Homes. I wish they would set up a branch in the mid-south. Even though as you said the area is predominantly poor, there are new enclaves that can afford $500K-$700K homes. My colleagues alone, in the past year, 1 of them bought a $700K house and the other one bought $510K. With the upgrades, it's additional $50K.

In their website, I see Pardee Homes prices at $700K averaging 3300 sqft. If they can scale it down to $450K, they will be in good business here.

Anyways, I can wait. I just bought a townhouse; this way I can continue to save for when the right modern design comes in.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That ain’t gonna happen.
I have doubts myself. Good news though is there are already areas in USA that are on modern designs. Just have to move there once I've saved enough.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 PM

The other thing is newer generations like me (ahem ) are not buying into those same-o houses. We are the new Southerners and we are strong-willed and we will replace the old Southerners in time!

Old 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
LOL @ people thinking that their personal preferences are going to start a revolution. Gee, for decades, there have been a huge array of home styles for all. Enjoy your homes that look like something straight out of the Jetsons. I'll stick with my traditional home. Give me a plantation style house, New Orleans-style house, Victorian, country house any day of the week.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 AM

11,114 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I like the first one best. I don't care for homes with multiple big garage doors on the front of the house. So that would rule out most of them. I also don't like things that look like mini castles.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
The other thing is newer generations like me (ahem ) are not buying into those same-o houses. We are the new Southerners and we are strong-willed and we will replace the old Southerners in time!
In my area, you drive past miles and miles of brand new subdivisions, and every one of them has traditional styled homes under construction. These aren’t all old people buying these houses. What I have noticed the past few years though is that red brick is out, and more earth tone browns and grays are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House