Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:43 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,460,484 times

Advertisements

These are McMansions and an abomination. I do not like any of them. No set style, just a conglomeration of this and that. Now, give me a Craftsman style bungalow then i might be interested. Those houses pictured are devoid of any class or character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 11:51 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,460,484 times
These styles are replacing homes in my community. Usually it is a local who made good or someone from out of the area who tear down perfectly good homes to build their “dream” home.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:15 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,007,107 times
I cannot find a better word that "Sterile " when looking at these houses . no flowers , no garden and they look like pasty people would live here . By pasty I mean people who would never go outside in the sun ….

Old 06-15-2018, 04:15 AM

908 posts, read 1,655,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHouseBuilder View Post
Just some larger homes around my city, thoughts
i like 2,3,6,7, and 9 is just ok. They are rather castellar, but nice looking. if you permanently have a lot of money for heating and upkeep, and need all that space for people in your life, etc, well, fine. The others are really too boxy looking and idk, someone said sterile.

Add some trees in the yard too.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:20 AM

908 posts, read 1,655,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
If you want the garage to the side or back of the house, you must live in a very small town with abundant space, and if that's what you like, great, but that's not reality anywhere I've ever lived. Even for $1M+ budgets in a place like Las Vegas, Portland, or Los Angeles, you're going to have the garage in front like every other house. You simply cannot find that big of lots that each house would randomly have a garage to the side, how would that even work in a neighborhood?! You'd have side alleys all over the place. It doesn't make any sense design-wise whatsoever. Maybe out in the country, sure, but then you're going to live in a lame small town with probably lame architecture and a cheap house.

I agree a house shouldn't appear all garage when you look at it, that's an ugly look if all you see approaching is a giant garage, but I've borderline never seen a house where the garage wasn't in front of the house. Even my dad's 20,000 square foot house has a three-car garage on one edge of the house, left side if you were facing the front door. It would waste valuable property to have to drive around the back of the house, which is where the pool should be.

there are plenty of urban and suburban areas that have 1 or 2 acre yards in the outskirts. You haven't been around obviously. goodness, not just small towns. it can get pricey but not all of them.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:26 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,606,444 times
All those houses are not to my personal taste. Too big, too complicated, too showy.

Give me a Craftsman bungalow of about 1400 feet with some nooks and crannies and coziness.

I'm a big fan of the Not So Big House, a book by Sarah Susanka, the architect. I drool over those homes... they are so livable...were I to win the lottery, I'd be on the phone to Ms. Susanka in a heartbeat, commissioning a home...

Old 06-15-2018, 07:34 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,103,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot find a better word that "Sterile " when looking at these houses . no flowers , no garden and they look like pasty people would live here . By pasty I mean people who would never go outside in the sun ….
These are drawings, not actual houses. there would only be sun if someone clicked on a button to have the computer add the sun to the drawing

Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,228,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
If you want the garage to the side or back of the house, you must live in a very small town with abundant space, and if that's what you like, great, but that's not reality anywhere I've ever lived. Even for $1M+ budgets in a place like Las Vegas, Portland, or Los Angeles, you're going to have the garage in front like every other house. You simply cannot find that big of lots that each house would randomly have a garage to the side, how would that even work in a neighborhood?! You'd have side alleys all over the place. It doesn't make any sense design-wise whatsoever. Maybe out in the country, sure, but then you're going to live in a lame small town with probably lame architecture and a cheap house.

I agree a house shouldn't appear all garage when you look at it, that's an ugly look if all you see approaching is a giant garage, but I've borderline never seen a house where the garage wasn't in front of the house. Even my dad's 20,000 square foot house has a three-car garage on one edge of the house, left side if you were facing the front door. It would waste valuable property to have to drive around the back of the house, which is where the pool should be.
My house is on a 60 foot wide 7500 square foot lot and it has a 2 car detached garage in the back. The driveway is one car wide where it goes past the house. This is my preferred layout for a number of reasons.

But at any rate, in most cities I've lived in, houses built before about 1950 had detached garages on small lots; so it is absolutely possible to have a modest house on a small lot and not have a front garage.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:47 AM

7,377 posts, read 4,613,439 times
I would not be quick to call these as McMansions. To me McMansions, like McDonalds, are "everywhere" hence placed side by side.

These are just renderings. If they are placed over more than acre of land, they can be true mansions, except for the 2 medium sized houses.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,541,763 times
These designs are very amateurish and under developed. Are these multi family homes? Why two separate garages on so many of them? That makes no sense.

Other elements of each make no sense from a practical usability standpoint. Whomever designed these house obviously has not been to school for residential design. Looks like someone just playing around with a computer design program and thinking that makes them an architect.

I find it impossible to believe anyone would actually build these houses. They are extremely expensive as drawn but without architectural merit or practical usability added form the added construction expense. Some elements are just plain silly.

What do I think of them? I think they are awful. All the ills of McMansion design without any professional control at all. Absurd costly features added for no purpose or benefit. They lack balance, form and practicality. Basically it is clearly an amateur design which when thing like this get built they become a blight on their community, a local joke and an eyesore. I have seen better designs form high school students playing with a CAD program.

If these were actually buit, can you please tell us where they are? I want to see what they actually look like and also look up to see what crazy developer woudl adopt these "designs" Did someone actually buy one of these? For how much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House