Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:49 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

In my humble opinion Mike Holmes was the only worthwhile person to ever appear on HGTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 11:05 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
How about Love It or List It?

Has there ever been an episode where they didn't open up a wall and find (fill in the blank) which necessitated the homeowner to give up the (fill in the blank)?

Everyone stomps around muttering "I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M NOT GETTING MY MASTER BATH!!!" and "I DON'T KNOW WHAT SHE EXPECTS ME TO DO WITH THE MONEY SHE'S GIVING ME!!!"

And, of course, the unhappy couple snip at each other about loving or listing until the end, when they finally come together and sing kumbayah…..

Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
My daughter (age 11) loved HGTV so I get to watch it a fair amount. Lucky me.

I know everyone is obsessed with Chip and Johanna (There are actual tour companies that round up church lady groups and drives them down to Waco). But every house they do looks the same to me. And there is NO WAY they only spend the money they claim to. Even in Waco. Yeah the houses are cheep but there is no way they can do that reno and decorating on the budget they claim. I do like that the couple is stopping their show to focus on their family and their other businesses.

But all the shows are staged...maybe that is why Chip and Johanna are so popular, because they seem more authentic and less staged.

My husband and I like to bet on the house hunters, who will win. So now I have some inside tips from here.

I just hate how that show (and similar ones) play so much into the battle of the sexes. Women look like a greedy, bossy succubus. Men look like spineless wimps or domineering jerks. I get so tired of that.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
How about Love It or List It?

Has there ever been an episode where they didn't open up a wall and find (fill in the blank) which necessitated the homeowner to give up the (fill in the blank)?

Everyone stomps around muttering "I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M NOT GETTING MY MASTER BATH!!!" and "I DON'T KNOW WHAT SHE EXPECTS ME TO DO WITH THE MONEY SHE'S GIVING ME!!!"

And, of course, the unhappy couple snip at each other about loving or listing until the end, when they finally come together and sing kumbayah…..
Its so annoying how cookie cutter that show is...all of them are to some degree, but Love it or List it is the worst.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:32 AM

277 posts, read 291,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
In my humble opinion Mike Holmes was the only worthwhile person to ever appear on HGTV.
He always referred to 1/4 round mounding as 3/4 round. Math may not have been his strong suit.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:37 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
He always referred to 1/4 round mounding as 3/4 round. Math may not have been his strong suit.
I know he's Canadian, and his shows are all done on homes in Canada. Maybe it's referred to differently there. I don't know if that's the case, just may be an explanation.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:38 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I always laugh when they talk about house styles. Most of those people wouldn't know the difference between a Tudor and a Craftsman if it was spelled out for them. They'll walk up to something that's modern ugly and exclaim about the Craftsman touches and I'm rolling around on the floor laughing my head off at them.

I notice that common tract homes are now "traditional" houses, anything with stucco is a Tudor, any house with square porch posts is a Craftsman, and anything with something other than siding is "modern". If it has any trim inside the house it's a Victorian and if it has a centered door, it's Colonial. I've even seen them describe Cape Cods as Colonials. Oh, please!

Then what just kills me are the people who do end up buying a real Craftsman or Tudor house. The first thing they do is paint the woodwork, rip out walls, and replace windows. Then after doing all that and making their house look like every other ugly house on the block, they talk about how happy they are living in a genuine Craftsman house. Which of course, after destroying all the Craftsman details, they aren't.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:44 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Realtor: "This one goes for $699,990."

Buyer: "Oh dear, that's WAAAY over our budget."

Realtor: "Yes, it's a little bit over your budget, but ..."

Well which is it - a little bit, or WAAAY over??

Old 06-17-2018, 02:19 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Wow, judge much? I happen to like white appliances.

Stainless looks so commonplace to me these days.
You couldn't give me stainless steel appliances. Ugly, boring, and shows up every fingerprint. I come from the days of colors. I loved my Harvest Gold high-end stove and refrigerator, bought new. When I had to replace them, I went with Almond. Eventually owned a home with modern white appliances. The home I currently live in was bought from an elderly man who was single and was cared for by his family. His home had black appliances, which I detested. However, over the 4 1/2 years I have lived in my forever home the black is now fine and I see other similiar homes for sale with white.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 06-17-2018 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 02:53 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I recently visited a relative (SAHM) who was addicted to HGTV. She and her family lived in a wonderful new house, they were the first owners, had been there 3 years. Most of the belongings were still in boxes, they had started one renovation project and were working with a designer to make all kinds of changes. They wound up moving out before any work was done.

I would rather be happy with what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House