Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That was a smart idea especially when space is at a premium. I'm fond of bookcases. I bet it is a nice look.
It looks built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Hey, I grew up in just slightly over 1,000 sq ft cape cod house (we did have a basement though) with 4 sisters and a brother, one bathroom. 8 people in a house and we survived and didn't think it was small. I think an 800 sq ft house would suffice for a single or even a couple quite nicely but these tiny houses where you have to climb up to a loft and your kitchen and living room are the same room and the bathroom is no bigger than a bathroom on a cruise ship are not for me especially if you live in an area with four full seasons. I cannot imagine being cooped up in such a small house while there is a blizzard going on outside.

This, though is one tiny house that I could at least see using as a vacation place https://www.countryliving.com/home-d...iny-houseboat/
I could so live on that boat, although it is a little too modern for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 03:11 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have to agree with this. I think there should be a movement for people who like "small houses", houses between 500 and 1000 sq ft that aren't on wheels. It's really hard to find anything like that, even on Youtube.

I wish! Everything now is huge or multi family/high density. I live where housing is super expensive and I doubt I will ever see new small homes being built, developers can get so much more money buy squeezing in as many places in the most vertical manner that they can. Or build some multi million dollar spec house.

I'm going to either stay put in my current 1500sq ft place or look for another older, smaller home somewhere else when I retire. I've drawn out floor plans that would be ideal for me and they usually end up in the 900-1100 sq foot range.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM

1,066 posts, read 628,914 times
not a chance in hell. I have several friends in this trend, meanwhile I own 3k square footage home 4 bedrooms 3 bath and half an acre and its me and a cat lol

Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Also, vertical siding? Yuk. Very pole-barn.
That is an odd criticism coming from someone called Zenstyle, as vertical siding is a very Zen style (a common element in traditional Japanese architecture).

:-)

Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is an odd criticism coming from someone called Zenstyle, as vertical siding is a very Zen style (a common element in traditional Japanese architecture).

:-)
HA! Point taken.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:43 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Never been a fan, I was always taught that one of the important things of home ownership is to build equity. While many of us will at some point be sitting on a home valued at $400,000+ tiny homes simply don't hold that kind of value. Add an $8,000/year lease and it's financially irresponsible.

With that said that tiny house boat was awesome. What fun that would be for a weekend get away place?

Old 07-18-2018, 08:14 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
It would be like living in a tool shed.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 AM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
That 'tiny house' is about the size of our master bedroom. To me that tiny house would be a claustrophobia disaster.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I've had my mattress on the floor for decades, and I'm 70 now . I still like it. The only benefit I see to a bed being higher up would be storage underneath. I wouldn't mind a platform bed with drawers on the bottom. That would be nice. But's a low priority now.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=11....0.3YYED4Mof50

-----------------------------------------
When we were moving we had air mattresses on the floor. I'm only 62 and it was damn hard to get up off the floor. Mattresses on floor isn't for me. I like my bed now, it is high up off the floor. Getting out is easy.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I love small houses a lot as well and bought one last year. It's 438 square feet, has a basement, driveway/garage and a small yard. It's not waterfront but just almost across the street from a lake and is very cute. Have been making some upgrades as I can. Here are some pics:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...mall-house.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-entry-way.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...04-bedroom.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...kyard-deck.jpg
That is a cute house. I think it's a good size for one person and a cat ;-) I love your decorating style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House