Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 11:37 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP, yes, I agree with you that 36 is considered the standard width for a full size fridge for either a side by side or a french door. Yes, you can find smaller widths but of course those have smaller capacity as well. I personally would not consider buying a smaller fridge for a family. I did get a counter depth which knocks out some of the capacity but with an open floor plan, I knew it would bother me to much to have the fridge sticking out too far.

I hope there is a fairly easy fix for you to add enough room to easily fit the fridge you want.
I got a smaller French door fridge with a drawer freezer. It actually held quite a bit because the doors were really roomy and would hold all of my taller items. I could fit like a large jar of fruit water in the door shelf, a brita, an orange juice, water, etc. That really freed up the shelves for a lot of the shorter items. I think the key is just finding a nice smaller fridge that maximizes the interior space. I had a narrow galley kitchen where my washer/dryer were also across the way, so I really needed a smaller fridge with French doors. The traditional French door setup loses a lot of space, but with the freezer below, you don’t lose space in the fridge area and can still store wide items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 12:32 PM

71 posts, read 67,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
The first fridge I saw on this website is 30" wide.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Applianc...s/N-5yc1vZc3ns
Sorry, I’m not talking about the small fridges people generally get for apartments or as a spare fridge for the garage, I need something that’s side by side or french door (we are a family of 5, frequently have guests over and I like to cook), counter depth because our fridge is literally right in front of the stove/island area (the configuration of our kitchen is was a very interesting choice on the part of the builder). If you look on the Home Depot site, the options under 2K are all between 35.7-36” wide. Vast majority are 35.75”. Heck, even the 3K options are in that range. The guys at Home Depot and Lowes looked over almost all their inventory.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:34 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
As I always like to say...you can never have too much garage space. Well, the same applies to refrigerators. We have a 29 sq ft refrigerator and it's barely adequate for the two of us. I wouldn't settle for a smaller unit. I'd be more inclined to make the opening bigger, if for no other reason to allow air to flow better, which allows heat to better dissipate from the condenser coils.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I got a smaller French door fridge with a drawer freezer. It actually held quite a bit because the doors were really roomy and would hold all of my taller items. I could fit like a large jar of fruit water in the door shelf, a brita, an orange juice, water, etc. That really freed up the shelves for a lot of the shorter items. I think the key is just finding a nice smaller fridge that maximizes the interior space. I had a narrow galley kitchen where my washer/dryer were also across the way, so I really needed a smaller fridge with French doors. The traditional French door setup loses a lot of space, but with the freezer below, you don’t lose space in the fridge area and can still store wide items.
Yes, I like the french door option, the side by side isn’t my favorite since we currently have that and can’t fit a pizza box comfortably into the fridge section and the freezer is underutilized, but at this rate, I’m looking at the side by side as well, was hoping there was a decently priced and well reviewed dupe of our current fridge. Might have to call Whirlpool and see what they have, now that I think about it. I don’t want to go too small because than there are gapes to fill up in the cabinetry. I wish they had just made that opening 1/2 inch larger on the bottom and the cabinet didn’t taper down! But oh well, I’m going to have to look at some of the suggestions that folks have given about cutting into the particle board.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:46 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I got this side by side, which I mostly like but I got it because I don't really like the freezer space of a french door and it's also significantly less freezer space esp. in a counter depth.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appl...h22h9010sr-aa/

I like to batch cook and also stock up on things on sale, so I needed the extra freezer and ended up getting a second freezer in the garage. So I could have made do with the pull out freezer of a french door and had the benefit of the full width of the fridge section. It usually isn't that big a deal - for pizza, we typically go out rather than get take out, and even though I bring home leftovers, instead of putting them flat in the large size pizza box, I stack the individual slices in a smaller box that fits into my fridge.

I really like the Food Showcase door. At first I thought it was a gimmick but it's really helped me keep things more organized, with a lot less "out of sight, out of mind" where I lose track of the food and it ends up going back.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I got this side by side, which I mostly like but I got it because I don't really like the freezer space of a french door and it's also significantly less freezer space esp. in a counter depth.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appl...h22h9010sr-aa/

I like to batch cook and also stock up on things on sale, so I needed the extra freezer and ended up getting a second freezer in the garage. So I could have made do with the pull out freezer of a french door and had the benefit of the full width of the fridge section. It usually isn't that big a deal - for pizza, we typically go out rather than get take out, and even though I bring home leftovers, instead of putting them flat in the large size pizza box, I stack the individual slices in a smaller box that fits into my fridge.

I really like the Food Showcase door. At first I thought it was a gimmick but it's really helped me keep things more organized, with a lot less "out of sight, out of mind" where I lose track of the food and it ends up going back.
That’s essentially the type of side by sides I’ve been looking at, there’s a similar LG one at this price point I liked as well, but they’re both 35.9”. Carpenter said he can come in the morning, I’m really hoping we can widen the space by 1/2 inch or so! I’m liking the idea of getting rid of that right hand vertical panel, so that there isn’t a width constraint for any bigger appliances.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
From the pix it looks like the vertical piece to the right of the fridge is just a piece of 3/4" particleboard with plastic film adhered to it to give the finish. If the one on the left is the same, you won't be able to do much to widen the opening.

How is the cabinet above the fridge attached? If you could securely attach it to the wall studs, maybe you could just cut that vertical piece (and maybe the one on the left too) totally away below the cabinet, and then just paint the raw edge left. Then you no longer have to keep the fridge width within narrow limits.
I’ll have my husband take a look, I’m not sure. I don’t think it would be a problem to attach to the wall, we don’t put anything into the cabinet, it’s purely decorative.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:31 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
You should be able to remove the right side panel entirely. If the upper cabinet is unfinished on that side, cut the removed panel to fit to cover the end of the cabinet.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
Keep in mind that you also need circulation room around the fridge.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
Fridge replacement is the worst. What we've done in the past is put the fridge where we wanted it and put something else in the designated but too small and awkward spot. In that house our fridge door wouldn't open fully - It hit the island. So we put a dresser in that spot and moved the fridge between the breakfast area and kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House