Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,670,492 times

Advertisements

Hello,

May I please have your recommendation on an outside alarm motion detector?

I have a in house alarm system from ADT, but I would like a motion detector to cover the perimeter of the house for early alarming if intruders are trying to entering home.

From my research I only found security motion cameras that will notify me via phone alert when when motion is detected and I can use the phone app to log in and see live feed.

What do you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Different system, but you can get motion detection lights with sensors that “notice” intruders well before they get to the house. If the lights are OFF at night and only come on when something enters the sensor range, you notice it.

Make sure they are set not to stay on too long, though. Otherwise, the light might actually help intruders locate break-in points. If you set the duration to be too short, the lights mess up their night vision. But too short is annoying for when the lights are merely showing you where to drive or walk at night. These lights do serve two purposes. So test out the intervals and sensor positions as part of your installation.

There are also MD sirens, but I don’t know if they are designed for outdoor use. Could be extremely annoying unless you live far, far away from neighbors.

We used to have ADT, but living where we do now I doubt LE response would be quick. So we have our own “enforcement” tools, in addition to the MD lights that alert us. If you sleep like a log, though, not much point in those. I am a light sleeper, so lights do alert me.

At our last house, where we lived only a few years, we got ADT in our 2nd year. Then swapped out the useless SmartTimer evening lights for RAB MD lights and sensors. So we had both systems in that town. They had a lot of opportunistic property crime and there were always lots of people around, driving or walking, so nobody thought it odd if a stranger was in someone else’s property. That was the great fallacy we discovered: Just because there are lots of eyes around doesn’t mean the residents are looking out for each other. They prefer to assume everything is OK and hate calling LE.

Last edited by pikabike; 07-04-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
We live down a long long driveway... we have a motion detector that sounds an audible 'doorbell' type beep in the house when someone comes to the gate:

Like these... https://www.google.com/search?q=driveway+alarm

Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Best outdoor motion detector:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mastif.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	199619

Extremely sensitive, great range. Picks up motion, sound, even alerts based on the smell of intruders. Not only detects intruders but repels them too. Unfortunately, like any outdoor motion detector, these also go off when deer, or foxes or raccoons enter their range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House