Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 PM

577 posts, read 494,246 times

Advertisements

My ND has become the epitome of never ending posts about lost pets. And now its getting taken over by ads for services rendered, real estate or retail store sales. One poster last week started a thread with a legit OP, asking everyone if there were any city ordnances about parking trailers, boats or RV's on ones property in my subdivision.

So I posted a link to our city ordnances regarding his exact question. My linked city ordnance site also though, had ALL the code violations possible by property owners. And they were listed on its pages regarding what cannot be left outside on a persons property, along with the possible building maintenance violations for ones home or apartment.

And the linked site had full page color pictures included, of what was a code violation just in case anyone reading, was too dumb to understand the text. Within an hour the whole thread was deleted with no reason stated for doing so.

So I guess my neighborhood ND moderator property(ties) had some serious code violations, that needed correcting.

But hey, at least while reading our ND, we can still post about all the dogs and cats missing that we see. Especially when they are living under the vehicles that are sitting up on blocks with no wheels or license plates on them. Or are living in the pile of rubbish piled up out in the back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 02:11 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I got a snail mail letter inviting me to join and supplying a code. I started to sign up- provided my name, spamcatcher e-mail address and mailing address, chose a PW and then it asked if it could access my e-mail contacts. I agreed (no way out of it) and I was supposed to select at least one to add so they could be invited as well. Even though my contacts on that one were all businesses, I didn't like that idea and closed it down.

Now I'm getting e-mails from the list. I haven't cut them off yet because I want to see if the fee dis useful- but VERY annoyed that it signed me up even after I stopped the registration process.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:33 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I got a snail mail letter inviting me to join and supplying a code. I started to sign up- provided my name, spamcatcher e-mail address and mailing address, chose a PW and then it asked if it could access my e-mail contacts. I agreed (no way out of it) and I was supposed to select at least one to add so they could be invited as well. Even though my contacts on that one were all businesses, I didn't like that idea and closed it down.

Now I'm getting e-mails from the list. I haven't cut them off yet because I want to see if the fee dis useful- but VERY annoyed that it signed me up even after I stopped the registration process.

You didn't have a way to say 'no' about those contacts? I did and said 'no' all the way through. I don't know if they'll respect my wishes and not do contacts. A lot of jiggery-pokery goes on online. But I tried. Even said no to Google although I know that one is useless. Google does what Google wants to do.

Do you follow Bob Rankin? Every once in a while, he has a good article about these problems as well as computer issues.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:47 PM

574 posts, read 382,697 times
When I lived out west for a short time, that app was borderline cancerous; Some of its users were concerning to me. Good info to be had? Yeh, but the BS can be a bit much

Old 04-28-2019, 03:33 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmagpie View Post
When I lived out west for a short time, that app was borderline cancerous; Some of its users were concerning to me. Good info to be had? Yeh, but the BS can be a bit much

When I first read the founder's plans for such a development, I thought what a great idea. But a good idea man needs great followers and that seldom happens. Everyone has his own ideas and is sure his are better.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
ND is sometimes useful, sometimes funny, mostly perplexing in regards to people's understanding of how a forum and 'netiquette' works.

Case in point. A helicopter is heard flying overhead and there are 6, 8, 10 *separate* posts on the *same* helicopter across different sections - why? Don't people understand it is *easier* to follow a single post with updates or new info?

Or - this one is even better; someone reports that their car was broken into with items stolen or an accident that was witnessed first hand. Street given and police report filed.

Can you guess...someone then posts "What street", "Did you file a police report", "This should be reported to the police".

Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Best thing I've heard lately and I can't remember where to give credit... "Nextdoor is like Facebook for old people." I left it before but rejoined when the local city and police departments joined, thinking they may add interesting things to know about. I may leave it again because it's just people posting all the complaints they have, people being rude, "suspicious" cars, etc. Everyone once in a while someone will see police or some emergency vehicle in the neighborhood with its lights on and post about it and someone else will respond with what happened. But most of the time it's just guesses which leads to really bad assumptions.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
I need to sign up. Sounds entertaining.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:43 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I have used Next Door to find repair people and to get rid of unwanted items like a grill. Works fine for those purposes.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 PM

74 posts, read 55,281 times
I got a Next Door account a couple of years ago when a neighbor signed up and did the "invite everyone you know to join" thing. Took me about half a day to figure out that life is WAAAAAY too short to read all the bilge that people spew thinking that everyone wants to read their babble. I disabled all email notifications from the site, and I think I have logged into it once, maybe twice, since then to report finding a stray pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House