Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 11,804 times

Advertisements

I recently had LVP installed in my kitchen to replace some cheap laminate. My refrigerator was pulled out overnight to allow gluing material for support under it to dry before moving it back. Overnight left indentations in the vinyl probably 1/16 inch deep. Of course, this is in the middle of the kitchen floor. It's not visible unless you're looking for it (and I was) but I'm wondering if it will "bounce back" in time? I never even considered that the weight of the fridge would harm the flooring but afterwards I've read that it's common and extra support is recommended. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:56 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
There is a reason why "luxury" in this case is a lie.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Either use a steam mop or a very hot wet washcloth and lay it over the dented area. If you use the washcloth, let sit until it cools... might have to do it a couple times.

I haven't used the LVP, but I've had dents come up on sheet vinyl flooring from furniture that was there for YEARS using this method.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Thanks, Diana! I will try that first thing in the morning!

Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Try this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtSsXe6fxeI

Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatShaw View Post
I recently had LVP installed in my kitchen to replace some cheap laminate. My refrigerator was pulled out overnight to allow gluing material for support under it to dry before moving it back. Overnight left indentations in the vinyl probably 1/16 inch deep. Of course, this is in the middle of the kitchen floor. It's not visible unless you're looking for it (and I was) but I'm wondering if it will "bounce back" in time? I never even considered that the weight of the fridge would harm the flooring but afterwards I've read that it's common and extra support is recommended. Anyone?
Depends on the LVT you chose. I just had some installed and my fridge has sat there for several days. I just pulled it out to put in a new outlet - not a single bit of impression. I would contact the installer and ask about it. What did you put in?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
There is a reason why "luxury" in this case is a lie.
Not at all. Just depends on the type.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 PM

Depends on the LVT you chose. I just had some installed and my fridge has sat there for several days. I just pulled it out to put in a new outlet - not a single bit of impression. I would contact the installer and ask about it. What did you put in?

ChessieMom, it was from Lowe's - StainMaster LVP Handscraped Retreat. It wasn't cheap stuff at $2.48/sq ft., but I'm sure it wasn't their best either. I love the finish and look, but was so surprised that it didn't hold up to appliances. When I read a bit more about LVP tonite, I noticed that several articles mentioned "denting", so apparently some of the planking has problems. I tried a suggestion made above about using a hot rag and was pleasantly surprised that it "lifted" the indent quite a bit. I'm betting with one more application, it'll be gone. You guys have really helped me tonite and I thank all of you who responded!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Good to hear

Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You'd harass your installer, after signing off on the job and paying, to report that you drug a 250 lb refrigerator supported by 4 individual feet the size of a dollar coin, and it left dents in your VINYL floor?

I'd say you answered your own question.

I had 4 small dents, evenly distributed across a 1 ft space, in the bathroom of my ground floor apartment. LVP with a deep grain to look like wood with rings in it. I imagine this was laid over concrete. No finish was damaged, just smooth concave marks.

Had the apartment 2 years and the marks were the same at the beginning of my first lease, and the end of my second. It was never mentioned upon move-out, and was only visible at certain angles.

If the hot washcloth trick doesn't work, look into a heat gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House